1. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So I went out with VCDS and checked all the temp probes yesterday before I started the car. All probes were reading similar values and the outside air temp was correct.

Took the car for a run to get it up to temp and then checked the temp from the probes. Passenger side getting toasty with the probes All getting to nice high temps with heater on max. Drivers side showing approx 7 deg and blowing cold air out the right centre vent and the right hand vent.

Then ran all the actuators through a test sequence.....all the vent actuators operated correctly so you could feel the air being diverted etc....so that ruled them out.

Therefore today I renewed the heater matrix.

Pretty involved job.....although I would be a lot quicker at it now. New matrix was a perfect fit once I had stuck the supplied foam strip to it as per the original. Could do it just by taking out the passenger glove box and heater fan box assembly.....although I stripped put some of the drivers side too. You also have to do work in the engine bay to purge the matrix of fluid prior to removal and then to refill and bleed it after fitment.

Refilled the heater matrix using new coolant and then did a final bleed of the circuit at temp with the engine running and using the bleed hole on the bulkhead hose which sits just under the windscreen near the middle wiper spindle.

Car is now toasty and warm....blowing nice hot air out the drivers side and centre right vent..if you wind the passenger side heat control down to low and the drivers side to high it blows cold air on passenger side and nice toasty on drivers side.....and vice versa. Think the issue is hopefully sorted now. Looks like the matrix was the cause..the old matrix looked fine externally...but I guess you don't know what the internals are like.

0 0 0

2. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    That is an excellent result. Thanks for writing this up, you have grasped the nettle and this procedure is now available to all C7 platform owners who have tried in vain to resolve this by flushing etc.

Its so good to know the process doesn't require removal of the whole dash or the need to evacuate the air con as some have speculated.

Im now going to tackle this on my A7, ordering the part now. What seals did you need to order for between the pipes and the matrix or were they supplied with the new matrix ?

0 0 0

3. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The new matrix comes with all the seals and clamps necessary....although I reused the original clamps as they were metal and ok....some of the models have plastic clamps and they are not reusable. The matrix comes with a webbed foam tape that you cut to size and stick to the new matrix so that it seals into the housing and prevents air leakage into the compartment. I would post some pics but don't seem to be able to do it via my mobile phone Internet....even in advance options.

0 0 0

4. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the recommendation. Ive just ordered after cross checking the A7 uses the same matrix. To prepare for the job whilst waiting for the new matrix but still leaving the car usable Im planning to remove the various plastic and metal covers in the engine bay for access and probably just the glovebox inside. Is there anything else that should be removed in readiness ?

0 0 0

5. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So both myself and Not_Anumber have now renewed our heater matrix....and the difference is incredible.

Not_aNumber put together a document from our experiences about how to go about changing it....there are also lots of pics which would be helpful to anyine attempting the job. However, I'm not really sure about how to post pics on the forum or whether it allows you to do so?

Can anyone advise on this please? Thank you.

0 0 0

6. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hey guys,
    I'm going to revive this topic for a bit
    Even though I have a A6 C7 3.0 bitdi, the heating systems are 1:1 between my model and A7. My problem though is a bit different - I got a 4-zone climate system, and the only place where I can feel warm air coming out is the drivers side... Passenger and back vents are only blowing cool air (not cold as outside, but not even luke-warm). Nothing showing up on VCDS, all tests are finished correctly, so I am quite sure this is not a flaps issue. However, I don't think it is also the fault of the solenoid valve beneath the big plastic cover... Anyone care to take a guess? Should I even bother trying to clean the valve and the heater matrix or should I just go about replacing the damned thing?
    @aw911 @Not_Anumber - did you manage to post that document anywhere? Many thanks!

0 0 0

7. Re: Heater working one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hello,
    Prior to replacing my cabin heater matrix, I power flushed my engine coolant, checked hvac temperature sensors, acid flushed the engine etc. The cabin heater still didn't work and winter driver was painful.
    In the end I bought a new heater off ebay £45 (OEM part number NISSENS 70235). ******* sells the same heater for about similar for about £80-100.

After installation of the new heater (2-3hr job, pretty easy to do), vcds records 64-65 deg.c out of the front vents. The reason why my old matrix wasnt working, it was really rusty inside so I am pleased I replaced it.

Driving in the winter is now a joy again and the cabin is nice and warm.

0 0 0

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234