Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Hi All,

Just wanted to share my next recently completed retrofit on my 2016 Q7 4M

This time, it was for altering the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). By default, in the UK, there is no option for an 'alternate' TPMS system, instead all we get is an "Indirect" Monitoring System which utilises the existing ABS Sensors to learn and characterise the rotational speed of each wheel etc. If it deems to alter within a certain margin, then we are alerted of this and potential pressure loss in a wheel.

However, there is a more "advanced" TPMS system which is called a 'Direct' TPMS method, which uses special sensors installed inside the rim of each wheel where the valve goes, and a receiver module installed in the car which then reports back the pressure and temperatures of each wheel in real-time into the MMI and Instrument Cluster (VC or Non-VC). This option is not available in the UK on Q7's for some reason but it doesn't mean you can't have it. Australia for example do get this system.

I actually fitted the system quite a while ago (well over 6 months ago) but I've had a constant struggle to figure out the necessary coding changes needed to the vehicle to turn off the old 'Indirect' system and enable the new 'Direct' system. Thankfully, thanks to the help of some fellow enthusiasts around the globe we managed to crack it and now its working brilliantly.

So, firstly you need new valves fitted to your wheels, so I got a local garage of mine to whip all 4 wheels off the car, take the tyres off, remove the old standard valves and put the new sensor valves on. These have little sealed batteries in them and should last around 3 years. They only 'wake up' after your going over 16 Mph, so when the car is parked etc, they sleep to conserve power.

20180908_145324.jpg

Once done, and the rest of the system is fired up and coded correctly, you now have real-time measurements of pressure and temperature of all 4 wheels in the MMI and on the Virtual Cockpit.

TPMS Monitor in Virtual Cockpit

20180908_153022.jpg

20180908_153859.jpg

In the newer Q7's with Virtual Cockpit you will get a little "car" aswell (like in the MMI photo below) in the blank space in the middle of all 4 TPMS readings. As mine is a 2016 model I don't have this, so its a blank space on my VC cockpit in the middle as shown above.

TPMS Monitor on MMI Screen

20180908_153849.jpg

Since the above pictures taken the other day I've changed the readings from "bar" to "psi" also as I prefer that.

These change in real-time and if the pressures fall (after you first store the pressures in the system) then the specified wheel entry on the MMI and VC cockpit turns yellow in colour and a TPMS warning is flashed up respectively. If its really bad, it goes red

I'm really pleased with this and its bizarre its not available as an option on UK Factory Q7 4M orders but there you go... it can be done.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers

Andy
    Q7 272PS | ABT Tuned to 325PS / 680Nm | Tech Pack | Dyn Pack | Matrix | Pan Roof | Trailer | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | TV | NightV | BOSE | DVD Chger | Homelink | Soft Doors | Heat+Snd Ins Glass | Priv Glass | Heat W/Screen | Heat Steer Wheel | Adv Key | Elec Boot Cover | Elec Steer Column | Side Assist | Air Susp | Ambient Light | Heat+Fold Mirrors | Park Assist Pack | Adv TPMS | Load Fix Kit | Black Turbine Alloys | Matte Black Wrap | ABT Door Leds

0 3 0

2. Re: Advanced (Direct) Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Is it just the new sensors and coding that is required Andy or is there a receiver module as well?

How much?

Tom...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Advanced (Direct) Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogzdinner View Post
    Is it just the new sensors and coding that is required Andy or is there a receiver module as well?

How much?

Tom...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sensors and Receiver module + bracket + wiring Tom... I got all mine from eb8y second hand... (but made my own wiring loom up)
    Q7 272PS | ABT Tuned to 325PS / 680Nm | Tech Pack | Dyn Pack | Matrix | Pan Roof | Trailer | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | TV | NightV | BOSE | DVD Chger | Homelink | Soft Doors | Heat+Snd Ins Glass | Priv Glass | Heat W/Screen | Heat Steer Wheel | Adv Key | Elec Boot Cover | Elec Steer Column | Side Assist | Air Susp | Ambient Light | Heat+Fold Mirrors | Park Assist Pack | Adv TPMS | Load Fix Kit | Black Turbine Alloys | Matte Black Wrap | ABT Door Leds

0 0 0

4. Re: Advanced (Direct) Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    Yet again you’ve gone and done something amazing! Well done on persisting and not giving up.

Cracking work mate - next up rear seat foot massagers yes?

0 1 0

5. Re: Advanced (Direct) Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    Hi Andy,
    Congratulations - excellent job as usual!
    I have a question. I have factory installed TPMS system and I can monitor it in the MMI but not on the Virtual Cockpit. My car is model 2016. What should I do (coding?) to call this function also on VC?
    Cheers

0 0 0

6. Re: Advanced (Direct) Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retom View Post
    Hi Andy,
    Congratulations - excellent job as usual!
    I have a question. I have factory installed TPMS system and I can monitor it in the MMI but not on the Virtual Cockpit. My car is model 2016. What should I do (coding?) to call this function also on VC?
    Cheers
    Cheers Retom

Ping me on email or PM and we can sort.

Cheers

Andy

0 0 0

7. Re: Advanced (Direct) Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo78 View Post
    Yet again you’ve gone and done something amazing! Well done on persisting and not giving up.

Cracking work mate - next up rear seat foot massagers yes?
    Lol.... Might need an A8 for that

0 0 0

8. Re: Advanced (Direct) Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Thanks for your help with this Andy, just managed to get this installed and up and running.

Happy with the system so far.

Does it only show the temperature and pressure when parked?, I thought it may display it while I’m driving?

0 0 0

9. Re: Advanced (Direct) Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    I'll ping you on details of how to do that Inchshort

Andy

0 0 0

10. Re: Advanced (Direct) Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Andy,

I got an Audi Q7 4M 2016 and i want to do retrofit TPMS just like you.My car doesn't have Virtual Cockpit so maybe i only need the exactly bar of each wheel on MMI ok for me.Please help me to do this,which parts should i buy?And how to retrofit.Thank you so much Andy,i have been following you from many posts already

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast