Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello Guys,

First of all thanks for allowing me to join and apologies that I am starting by asking a question! I hope this is in the correct place.

I have a VW Golf 1.6 TDI, Mark 6 2009

I have an overheating issue. The temperature went up as high as 120-130 Degrees C.

So far we replaced water pump, thermostat, two temperature sensors and head gasket. The issue persists.

Symptoms:

-Overheating after driving for roughly 10-20 miles
    -It goes up to 120-130 Degrees C and then drops back down and goes back up.
    -I noticed twice that when it reached 120 Degrees C I lost accelaration
    -Can run on a short journey in town and be fine, longer journey or higher speed and the issues start.
    -No issue when idling
    -No loss of coolant

If anyone has faced this issue and has any idea what it could be causing this I would really appreciate some support with this.

Thank you all!

0 0 0

2. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    possible blockage in the system look for particles in the coolant reservoir or heater matrix or radiator, use a thermal gun to measure actual temp on the circuit to see whats going on or flush the system with the thermostat removed.

0 1 0

3. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a8tech Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

The mechanic checked the actual temp (hoses, coolant in the tank, engine bay), the temp of the coolant was actually below what it was showing on the dash. The only temp that was high was the exhaust (which is to be expected), everything else was below 100.
    There are no particles in the coolant reservoir, I also had 3 fresh coolant changes as all these parts were replaced one by one. First the water pump, second time thermostat and sensor 1, third time sensor 2 and head gasket.
    Never had the system flushed with the thermostat removed.
    The garage actually thinks it may not be overheating.
    I had no steam coming off it at all.

0 0 0

4. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    If the readings are false then check the wiring for resistive circuit meaning the ecu uses a 5 volt reference to for input senders so say 4.5 volt feedback is overheating and 0.5 is cold if this wiring has incorrect values then the overheat signal to dash address 17 and engine ecu address 01 will trigger the warning. You need to establish the temp reading in dash and engine ecu and then measure direct at the temp senders to make the judgement if the engine is indeed reading the values suggested in the dash. Flushing with the thermo in will never allow sufficient flow to remove blockages.

each control unit has measured value data you can observe or even use a scope on draw mode to check the coolant temp readings over a period.

also consider thermo opening and fan activation when the temp is reading say 90+ the ecu will trigger output to the fan control, another input and output value to look at possible two way thermo fitted as well with an internal wax stat which may be sticking.

Coolant senders will only trigger fault codes for short to + or - they won't show if a volt drop has occurred as that's how they work so if the voltage is within the 5-volt ref but not at the right time it won't trigger events.

0 0 0

5. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a8 tech View Post
    If the readings are false then check the wiring for resistive circuit meaning the ecu uses a 5 volt reference to for input senders so say 4.5 volt feedback is overheating and 0.5 is cold if this wiring has incorrect values then the overheat signal to dash address 17 and engine ecu address 01 will trigger the warning. You need to establish the temp reading in dash and engine ecu and then measure direct at the temp senders to make the judgement if the engine is indeed reading the values suggested in the dash. Flushing with the thermo in will never allow sufficient flow to remove blockages.

each control unit has measured value data you can observe or even use a scope on draw mode to check the coolant temp readings over a period.

also consider thermo opening and fan activation when the temp is reading say 90+ the ecu will trigger output to the fan control, another input and output value to look at possible two way thermo fitted as well with an internal wax stat which may be sticking.

Coolant senders will only trigger fault codes for short to + or - they won't show if a volt drop has occurred as that's how they work so if the voltage is within the 5-volt ref but not at the right time it won't trigger events.
    Thank you for the detailed response and information. I will let my mechanic know and ask for him to check!

0 0 0

6. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    good luck, i only pop into the forum every now and then

0 0 0

7. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi

Im having the exact same problem with mine and this has been going on for a year! Nobody seems to be able to fix it (Ive taken it to 6 mechanics) and after changing the water pump and timing belt twice, thermostat, coolant temp sensor twice and radiator, they keep saying "headgasket" but the car never uses oil and water, no steam, no loss of heat inside and its driving perfect but under heavy load the temp starts to rise over 90. My fan usually runs on also
    My dpf and egr software were deleted and removed from the car as I was told that was it but no different!

Are your conditions similar to mine? I am interested to know!

Thanks

0 0 0

8. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCo View Post
    Hi

Im having the exact same problem with mine and this has been going on for a year! Nobody seems to be able to fix it (Ive taken it to 6 mechanics) and after changing the water pump and timing belt twice, thermostat, coolant temp sensor twice and radiator, they keep saying "headgasket" but the car never uses oil and water, no steam, no loss of heat inside and its driving perfect but under heavy load the temp starts to rise over 90. My fan usually runs on also
    My dpf and egr software were deleted and removed from the car as I was told that was it but no different!

Are your conditions similar to mine? I am interested to know!

Thanks
    Hi there

Did you ever manage to resolve this problem please? I also have the same issue with a Golf and no one seems to be able to help.

Thanks in advance

0 0 0

9. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmacey View Post
    Hi there

Did you ever manage to resolve this problem please? I also have the same issue with a Golf and no one seems to be able to help.

Thanks in advance
    Hi, no the problem still went on until October where I decided I had enough of it. I left it to a mechanic who said, after doing all of the above work to it, the next step would be to start stripping the engine down and investigating it for damage i/e warped head/block or possibly a bent conrod. I didn't think it was worth doing that as I already got another car so sold it as spares or repairs to a trader.

0 0 0

10. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hey, I have a Mk6 1.6di golf cayc and have the same issue with the car overheating but not headgasket or any of that. Had waterpump and thermostat already done. Still getting heat through the blower but unsure of what it could be, ive noticed there is no return into the expansion tank on idle but when the car is being revved over 2k roughly it seems to only then circulate the coolant. If the car is being driven low revs for a long period of time it will begin climbing in temperature but if being drove harder its fine. And after a journey of driving the car over 2k the radiator is only barely warm no where near as warm as it should be, hose going to top of the rad is soft and luke warm as well.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast