Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hello

I recently bought myself a 2014 A6 Avant Black Edition 2.0 TDi and overall I am really happy with the car its superb. I just have 1 thing I would love to change about it and that is the heater controls, my original controls are the older pre facelift style without a sync button. This is fine when theres 2 of you in the car but a pain when you are the only 1 in the car as getting the vehicle to a level temperature involves changing the temp on 2 dials. Unless I am just being thick? My wife runs very cold and I run very hot so when she is in the car when have the dials set to very different temperatures, then I just in the car the following morning on my own and realise after a while red hot air is blowing from the passenger side.

This is the current style of controls I have 4G0820043AC:

original.jpg

This is the newer style of controls I would like to fit 4G0820043AE:

Updated.jpg

I know the newer controls with physically fit and from what I can see the correct plug shapes and styles are the same. My question is what will be involved to get the MMI display to show what the changes are on the controls? Currently my MMI display does not change when settings are changed as everything is just on the controls themselves. I believe the display will still show on the control display itself what is happening as far as fan speed and air direction, but the display will be very basic just in the form of little notches / lines.

The vehicle is fitted with a RMC head unit and I have access to a Licenced version of VCDS, a Licenced version of ODIS and ODIS Engineering so completing the software changes and coding shouldn’t be too much of an issue, I have done quite a bit of research and cant work out if additional wiring or additional controls units are required or if it is even possible with the basic RMC?

Thanks for any advice and help anyone can offer.

0 0 0

2. Re: Fitting a Facelift Heater Controls to Pre Facelift 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I believe you can just hold down the right temperature adjust and that will sync all temps, this also worked on my old b7 A4.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 0 0

3. Re: Fitting a Facelift Heater Controls to Pre Facelift 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombatwilson View Post
    I believe you can just hold down the right temperature adjust and that will sync all temps, this also worked on my old b7 A4.

I'm not sure how that would be possible as if you look at my original controls it is a physical button that the control needs to be in a certain position to control the temperature i.e there is no display. Holding down the right control would need to turn the left control somehow and there is no way this is possible as there is no motor behind the control itself.

I think what you are explaining is on vehicle where there was no "sync" button you could just press and hold the control and this would act as a sync. This is a different scenario unfortunately

Thanks

0 0 0

4. Re: Fitting a Facelift Heater Controls to Pre Facelift 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    My old A4 didn't have a sync button either but it worked, have you tried holding it in?

0 0 0

5. Re: Fitting a Facelift Heater Controls to Pre Facelift 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombatwilson View Post
    My old A4 didn't have a sync button either but it worked, have you tried holding it in?

Sorry I am not sure you quite understand the A4 B7 has a digital heater control so the control can act as a sync button the C7 A6 does not have a digital heater control it is a physical button that points at the desired temperature.

Please see this image it should explain is better:

original.jpg

0 1 0

6. Re: Fitting a Facelift Heater Controls to Pre Facelift 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Will take a lot of work to switch the control panels. If I remember right there’s extra flaps used in the digital controls. Then there’s connections to mmi with display of temps etc and potentially other systems. Component protection needs sorted as well. These were available on the pre facelift cars as part of the 4 zone climate and became standard in the facelift.
    It wasn’t worth the hassle and money.
    Sorry to be a downer.

0 0 0

7. Re: Fitting a Facelift Heater Controls to Pre Facelift 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    Will take a lot of work to switch the control panels. If I remember right there’s extra flaps used in the digital controls. Then there’s connections to mmi with display of temps etc and potentially other systems. Component protection needs sorted as well. These were available on the pre facelift cars as part of the 4 zone climate and became standard in the facelift.
    It wasn’t worth the hassle and money.
    Sorry to be a downer.
    Thanks for the reply, component protection doesn’t worry me as I work at an Audi approved bodyshop so can soon do it on ODIS. I can understand additional flaps required in changing to 4 zone, but if I am keeping the same 2 zone would this still apply?

From what you are saying an wiring harness may need to be made, sourced to take the information from the control to the MMI but this doesn't worry me. I have completed worse jobs. I have a feeling though there probably isn’t going to be the knowledge out there of how to do it as its quite complicated so no one has done it...... yet

0 0 0

8. Re: Fitting a Facelift Heater Controls to Pre Facelift 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    The 2 zone control is analogue and the other is digital. I looked into this with my pre facelift and way too much to replace/rewire with potential of breaking something. There’s also other things like comfort module, coding, sensors. Costs outweighed the benefit. For the sake of turning a knob to hundreds maybe thousands of pounds of cost you can see which one I chose.

0 0 0

9. Re: Fitting a Facelift Heater Controls to Pre Facelift 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    The 2 zone control is analogue and the other is digital. I looked into this with my pre facelift and way too much to replace/rewire with potential of breaking something. There’s also other things like comfort module, coding, sensors. Costs outweighed the benefit. For the sake of turning a knob to hundreds maybe thousands of pounds of cost you can see which one I chose.
    You’ve talked me out of it! If it was achievable without replacing too much but sounds like it will be too much work to justify the not needing to twist a knob now and again! Never mind

0 0 0

10. Re: Fitting a Facelift Heater Controls to Pre Facelift 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    It does look like a similar panel swap. At least I thought it was till looked into it.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast