Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Need Help Diagnosing 12v Socket and Rear Wiper Issue in My Golf TDI Mk6

1. Question Need Help Diagnosing 12v Socket and Rear Wiper Issue in My Golf TDI Mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey fellow Golf enthusiasts,

I hope you're all doing well. I've been facing a bit of a problem with my Golf TDI Mk6, and I'm hoping some of you might be able to lend a hand in diagnosing the issue. The problem revolves around my rear wiper and cigarette lighter, both of which are not working.

Here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Checked Fuses: I've checked the fuses, specifically fuse number 42, which is responsible for these components. However, it seems that this fuse is not receiving power.
    2. Replaced Relay: In an attempt to solve the issue, I replaced the second relay from the left. This relay used to be labelled as number 53. I did this because I found continuity on the pins of the relay socket leading to the 12v socket. Unfortunately, even after replacing the relay, I still don't have 12v power at the fuse.

I've attached a picture of the relay I replaced for reference.

The existing relay that was replaced

I'm at a bit of a loss here, and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar issue or has any suggestions on what I should try next to get my rear wiper and cigarette lighter working again. Your insights and advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Best regards,
    Attached Images

0 0 0

2. Re: Need Help Diagnosing 12v Socket and Rear Wiper Issue in My Golf TDI Mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    If SC42 (power socket) is not receiving power then SC40 (heater panel) and SC41 (rear wiper, front and rear washers) will also have no power so the heater panel should also be dead? All three are powered by the "J59 X relay" as you have found. Check for power at plate position 3 (relay 30) which is from fuse SB30 in the engine bay. If this has power, make a jump lead and install across socket 5 to socket (pin 87) and see if this brings the circuits back up.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Need Help Diagnosing 12v Socket and Rear Wiper Issue in My Golf TDI Mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    If SC42 (power socket) is not receiving power then SC40 (heater panel) and SC41 (rear wiper, front and rear washers) will also have no power so the heater panel should also be dead? All three are powered by the "J59 X relay" as you have found. Check for power at plate position 3 (relay 30) which is from fuse SB30 in the engine bay. If this has power, make a jump lead and install across socket 5 to socket (pin 87) and see if this brings the circuits back up.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply and help.

Forgive me but I'm a little confused with how you said this.
    Do you mean from the middle relay to the first (far left 643) relay in the photo? If so which pin is pin 87 of the pins?

Screenshot_20231206_085558.jpg

0 0 0

4. Re: Need Help Diagnosing 12v Socket and Rear Wiper Issue in My Golf TDI Mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    There is the diagram printed on the relay case and the pins are labeled underneath, the terminals in the plate have tiny numbers moulded into them. What you want to do is bridge the terminals for power in and power out and these are the large terminals

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Need Help Diagnosing 12v Socket and Rear Wiper Issue in My Golf TDI Mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm very sorry to keep asking more questions but I'm still at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

This is the plate from the left plate 5 - 3 (middle) and I wrote the imprinted numbers easier so it's easier to read.

I found a for sale listing of the same configuration of relays panel and the yellow and black wire that connects to 41/42 is pin. This is on relay 4, I'm confused should I be bridging relay 5? or 4?

I'm very sorry for all the questions. I'm just a bit baffled by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    There is the diagram printed on the relay case and the pins are labelled underneath, the terminals in the plate have tiny numbers moulded into them. What you want to do is bridge the terminals for power in and power out and these are the large terminals

0 0 0

6. Re: Need Help Diagnosing 12v Socket and Rear Wiper Issue in My Golf TDI Mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    You need to bridge the connections for the red/yellow and black/yellow wires, this simulates the relays operation. What is the VIN?

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Need Help Diagnosing 12v Socket and Rear Wiper Issue in My Golf TDI Mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks! I'll give that a try later today.

The VIN is:

WVWZZZ1KZ9W501620

0 0 0

8. Re: Need Help Diagnosing 12v Socket and Rear Wiper Issue in My Golf TDI Mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bridged them and fuse 41 42 are showing 10mv.
    With the bridge removed oddly there is continuity on socket pin 8 of relay 4 against ground.

0 0 0

9. Re: Need Help Diagnosing 12v Socket and Rear Wiper Issue in My Golf TDI Mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Do you have power on the red wire?

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Need Help Diagnosing 12v Socket and Rear Wiper Issue in My Golf TDI Mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I'm an idiot and while I could blame my dyslexia I think its more just stupidity at play here.

Turns out I was flipping the relay positions when looking at it from the image on the auction item.
    Replaced the relay on plate 2 (also #53 ) relay and I'm back up and running.

Thank you so much for your help and I'm so sorry for all the questions.

I hope you have a splendid weekend!
    Last edited by sto; 09-12-2023 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Solution found. Unfortunately no solution for being stupid.

1 0 0