1. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK understood, so need to get this sludge checked out. I would like to think the garage who is replacing the turbo is aware of what you have said and would check for this sludge problem, either way I shall request this to be done tomorrow. How big of a job is it? I asked to check Pistons and was practically laughed at ( I had no idea what that entailed )
    Is checking for sludge a 5 minute job or an hour+ job?

0 0 0

2. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    A full dealer service history is no guarantee that the services were carried out correctly . My local dealer ( big marble palace) filled my golf with the wrong oil on 2 separate occasions . Also lost quite a few undertray screws on previous golf. Now do most of my services.
    If you want a top quality turbo insist on turbo technics - 2 year warranty and top class remanufactured turbo at a third price of VAG.
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0

3. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Dropping the sump, cleaning, resealing and re-installing the sump takes about four hours, the special VAG sump sealant, part number D 176 600 A1 MUST be used and sparingly, your sump is similar to this

Excess sealant falls into the sump and screws the engine, like in the picture below.

If a new turbo is just put on without finding out why the old one failed is a recipe for disaster. Checking the pistons on one of those engines is about three days solid work and hundreds of pounds in new gaskets and bolts, that is why they smirked...
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah they are not going to check pistons for me, they are just doing a pressure test instead
    As for the sump, I am not too confident that they will check. I did phone this morning and basically quoted what you said... He said he will pass it on to the guy but thats all I got out of it, I am not feeling too confident that they will bother checking.
    Probably just fit the new turbo and give it back... Will be their fault if it has to go back again with another blown turbo wont it... cowboys

0 0 0

5. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crasher, if worst case and they dont check, is there anything a non mechanical clueless with cars person like myself I can do to try and help remove the sludge? Such as, any additive I can add to the oil to help remove it or anything like that? Anything at all, on the subject, if you know this car model in particular can you give any tips on how to keep it well maintained from the way to drive it, daily tasks, weekly, monthly, yearly... Anything you can pass on to me would be very appreciated (If I didnt already say this is literally my 2nd car and I am not knowledgeable at all with cars)

Thanks again mate

0 0 0

6. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Usually the sludge is so stuck on I have to use paint stripper to get it off, flushing just risks more loose crud coming free and blocking the pick up.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I own a 2012 GT TSI 160, with 40k on the clock. I bought it 18 months ago for £10k, and absolutely love it to bits. Its a gem of an engine. I find it enjoyably fast, light, nippy and frugal. I also couldn't justify the MPG expense of a full GTi, and I didn't want a diesel, so this was the only one to go for. I think some early cars had issues, but I believe they were resolved.

Nobody in this topic seems to have mentioned the supercharger that I presume you know is also fitted? It makes a noticeable whine at times, which I enjoy very much! Don't get that confused with turbo noises. Also water vapour out of the exhaust - mine does this more than any other car that I've owned, but there's nothing wrong with it, its a characteristic of the engine.

0 0 0

8. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It is a gem of an engine until it goes wrong, then it becomes a millstone around your neck. A case of jumped timing chains can cost over £3k to put right and I have seen them go at as little as 80K. Their other party trick is burnt out exhaust valves due to valve guide wear which appears to be a result of people using 95RON fuel instead of 99RON. One we had in a few weeks back jumped its chain and bent a handful of valves and with it apart we found the turbo was also wrecked for no good reason. Another I had in yesterday had a faulty intake flap (very common) and variable inlet manifold flap driver problem from the ECU caused by a faulty solenoid that fries the ECU. Personally, I absolutely dread the twin charger engines as their owners almost invariably can't afford to fix them. The one from yesterday needs so much work doing on it that the car will probably get scrapped, it’s a 2009! I warn all my customers against buying these daft tiny engines in big cars and being as I also tell them not to buy the fuel of the Devil, it leaves then little choice of what to buy.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    How many do you see that aren't broken?

0 0 0

10. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Almost everything I see is broken, it's my raison d'etre... They do seem to be problematic, I would not own one.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast