1. Re: A6 Allroad front suspension dropped, one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I thank you all for your help, now I have got the strut off the fault is very evident, there is a vertical split in the rubber airbag about 60 mm long. To me this is a surprising fail, up until my wife parked the car that corner had never dropped, not even with the original strut, the fault with that was the internal shock absorber. This split must have been sudden with no warning and I can only suspect poor quality materials or manufacture. They were not original Audi parts but were supplied from Germany with a 2 year warranty which has only recently expired, but even if it hadn't, my experience is that often the suppliers try to find some excuse to renege on the guarantee.

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 Allroad front suspension dropped, one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    £1500 each.... try these people http://www.ipd.de/ipd/produkte/11-luftfederung.php
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 Allroad front suspension dropped, one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I posted yesterday but it has not come through, I got the strut out and it was easy to see a large vertical split in the rubber airbag of about 60mm, that corner of the car had never dropped before, not even with the previous struts, their problem was the shock absorber. It must have blown suddenly just as my wife arrived at home, very lucky it did not happen when she was driving at speed as the car body dropped hard onto the tyre, thanks to all who have contributed advice, Michael

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 Allroad front suspension dropped, one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    It seems very strange that a split like that suddenly occurs due to a latent manufacturing fault with the car parked up. Are you sure it hasn't been caused by a sharp blade, ie. malicious damage? You know how the French can be towards outsiders...
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI Tiptronic (C6 pre-facelift) - left hand drive

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 Allroad front suspension dropped, one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Not a chance, the airbag is up inside steel cylinder, very difficult to reach or view until it was out of the car, keying a car would be a lot easier, I have suffered malicious damage in England but not yet in the last 12 years in France.

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 Allroad front suspension dropped, one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I could not afford £1500 for genuine Audi, bought a new unit from Aerosus Germany, £608. Difficult fitting the unit, especially getting the lower attachment fork over the lower suspension arm even with the anti-roll bar link detached, but finally it was up and running with the engine running it was quickly up to height. Checked fault codes --- none. Guess what next morning the body had dropped down to the tyre again, just on that corner. My parking place is on a slight diagonal slope and the front right corner was at the lowest point so supporting more weight. When I parked the car the other way around with that corner at the highest point the suspension has not dropped. I have tried swapping several times and it happens the same, just at that corner, all other corners stay as they were left. The only air connection I had touched was the thin green air supply pipe to the strut and used new fitting and olive. In the garage I have sprayed the fitting with soapy water, no sign of a bubble, I can only assume that when under load there is a very slight leak within the unit. Aerosus who guarantee the unit for 2 years have offered to collect, test and replace it if necessary. Of course then I will have the grief of getting the strut out, waiting for a replacement and having to fit it again, and maybe if in testing Aerosus do not put it under sufficient load, they may argue that it is not faulty and return it but something that has to work at pressures of over 10 bar, it should be constructed to an extremely exacting standard. Woe is me! I am still using the car as I need it a lot at the moment and will have to wait a couple of weeks before I can take it out.

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 Allroad front suspension dropped, one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    What happens if you lift the car or use vcds basic settings to fill the bags to high pressure and leave it to jacking mode? Then you can see if there's minor leaks on high pressure.

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 Allroad front suspension dropped, one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Did that could find no leak. did level control output tests, all OK. If I pump it up high it stays up longer but comes down in the end, still could not find a leak on the only air fitting I have touched. can only suspect a very slight internal leak on the strut, I just wanted it to do what it always did, stay at the same level on all wheels that it was left at, even if I don't drive it for a few days.

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 Allroad front suspension dropped, one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, Did you ever get this sorted in the end. I have the same problem, a 2007 Allroad 3.0TDI (engine code ASB) and I park un uneven ground where the front right suspension takes the greatest load. Recently I have found that if I park overnight the front right corner is resting on it's bump stop.

0 0 0

10. Re: A6 Allroad front suspension dropped, one side only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Yes, sort of. When I was looking for a re-placement strut there were many different sellers, and instead of going cheap, and I could not afford ridiculous Audi price I bought one from Aerosus in Germany. Disaster! the strut collapsed several times, was returned to Germany twice, then on a test run after the last return I drove a couple of miles and the strut collapsed to the ground outside a cemetery, I jacked it up to look at it, arranged at some cost for a recovery vehicle to come the next day to bring the car home, next morning some thief had stolen the jack. The bodywork was so low to the ground it was impossible to get the car on the lorry without damaging the bodywork. So firstly I would say, don't buy Aerosus. Then I thought looking at was available I would buy a Chinese strut, cost only about £200, fitted it which must now be over three years ago and it is still working but not perfectly. There are two main parts to the strut, the suspension and the shock absorber, suspension is fine but the shock absorber rattles inside the strut which is a bit annoying, also when the strut is working correctly the car height display should show the same height as when the car was last driven when restarted, but if it is faulty as the needle always goes to the top until you turn the ignition on again. If your car only drops overnight maybe there is only a small hole in the suspension bag and it may get worse which could be a big problem, there may also be a small leak on the brass valve where the pressure goes into the strut, if it were me I would spray a bit of soapy water on all connections to see if the leak is visible. There are some companies who sell parts to rebuild struts but that work is out of my league. I am toying one day with replacing the Chinese strut for one available on Ebay from Miessler Automotive in Germany. I have had parts from them before and they seemed reliable. Good luck.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12