Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Maybe a little rich , but is it !

I remember years back Mk2 Golf GTI booked £1,000 more than a Mk3 GTI for the simple reason a Mk 3 wasn't an improvement .

I feel the same about the B6 , less mpg , canbus , epb switch and rear calipers , ignition switch steering lock module , snapped springs , throttle bodies , oil pump drive , dpf , rust , bottom 10 for reliability , switch gear rubbing off , rear tyre wear etc .

0 0 0

2. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    And the B6's rust where the B5's don't (unless they were badly repaired after an accident) front wings excepted.

0 0 0

3. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    That's whats letting mine down , darn foam , lol .

0 0 0

4. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I've wondered what would replace my current B5.5 Passat estate and struggle to come up with anything modern (I intend to avoid anything with common rail or DPF's ) so I find I'm looking at tidy, late B5's, even if prices are a bit higher.

0 0 0

5. Best B5 replacement ? 
    From - Walney Island, Cumbria, Live in: Larkhill, Wiltshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I came to the same conclusion. Would like a 4motion AVF... but the amount of work I have put into mine thus far is making it difficult to consider getting rid of it... I just like it too much. So I've decided I'm gonna make like Col and do mine up and keep it going. See if I can hit 500k miles Who knows, being the last great car VW made, with the best Diesel engine on earth, maybe it'll gain classic status like a mk1 golf in 20years time lol.

I may look at buying a Monaro VXR 6.0 next year or year after to satisfy my craving for something insensible and ludacris though. Always wanted an American V8 (I know Monaro is Aussie but it's based around a Chevy small block V8 ) whilst keeping the Passat for everyday of course.

0 1 0

6. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    i inyend to keep the 80 for ever. we have just had the rear axle and front subframe powder coated so they are good now for a few years.. the rest of it is holding up well. never know, might get her resprayed one day as the paint is looking old now and the laquer peel on the bonnet is not nice.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

7. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    i inyend to keep the 80 for ever. we have just had the rear axle and front subframe powder coated so they are good now for a few years.. the rest of it is holding up well. never know, might get her resprayed one day as the paint is looking old now and the laquer peel on the bonnet is not nice.

Is that 80 old enough to have procon 10?

I don't know a lot about it but seem to remember that the engine had cables wrapped it and in the event of an accident the steering column was pulled away from the cabin. As a result many Audis that had it were written off in minor shunts as the procon 10 system was too expensive to repair.

1 1 0

8. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    it has yes, engine moves back and via the cables pulls the steering wheel into the dash and tensions the seatbelts, and the engine twists and goes under the transmission tunnel rather than into the cabin. all done by electrics nowadays in the form of airbags but procon 10 is still the best but yes, does ruin the car but save your life.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 2 0

9. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Guys im wanting to change over the mk5 steering wheel i have in doner car with stereo controls and it looks like gti one but no paddles but this is good because im wanting to swap over my basic mk5 non controls 5 speed golf
    CAN IT BE DONE

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

10. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Has to be another B5.
    Last edited by ianhayter; 16-04-2021 at 11:26 AM.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12