1. Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After 12+ years & 200k+ miles together I'm finally thinking of replaceing my 2002 TDI PD130 Sport Estate, with something 2-5 years old, it's a real credit to the car I've kept her this long !
    Apart from needing to replace a few parts recently, more tyres today, I'll also be looking to replace quite a few steering & suspension parts soon :/

I have a 100 mile motorway commute & the occaisional tow, hence current thoughts are later A6 3.0 TDI, Superb, Octavia VRS, Yeti, or late model Accord, ideally with auto box ?

I'm not entirely convinced of VW's later 2.0 TDI & DSG reliability. so am thinking the VAG group has relliability in the following order;
    SKODA, Sporty Skoda = SEAT, more money than sense Skoda = Audi, Expensive Skoda = VW, with the Honda somewhere on par with Skoda ?

Any thoughts guys ?

0 0 0

2. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Hard to replace the legendary 130 PD .

It's got another 100K in it easy .

An A6 is a large car so A4 B8 3.0 TDI Avant .

2 1 0

3. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    keep the pd, get whatever takes your fancy, but keep the pd tucked away somewhere. when the new car stops working, you have old trusty sat there to use again.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 2 0

4. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    That's it the reliable 200k tool is worth very little at the moment , keep it .

I expect prices to rise at some stage .

It amazes me that some Passat B1 and B2 can be worth 2.5k, whereas I don't see the attraction .

1 1 0

5. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    From - Walney Island, Cumbria, Live in: Larkhill, Wiltshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    The best B5 replacement is a B5. Easy to work on, cheap enough for parts, comfy, drives well, relatively economical even in today's climate. Practical, I've done steering and suspension parts on mine. To be honest, I was broke at the time and bought a full arm kit off eBay hahaha was about £120 for all 8 arms, both track rod ends and arb linkages. Came with all bolts etc... that was 3 years and 23000 miles ago... still going strong. Just flew through MoT. Lol. Tyre you would need on any car, as would any other service parts. Things aren't built the same nowadays either... you buy an average 5 year old car now, it'll need all the same work doing before the Passat did at 10-12 years. #LongLiveThe1.9PD!

3 4 0

6. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Keep the B5, along with other VAG's of that era, the 1.9 TDI's are the best diesel cars ever made. VAG seem to have forgotten what they once knew.

In order of best'ness I'd rank the B5 with the AFN TDI engine the best, for the B5.5 the AWX then AVF (AVF only 3rd for the fragile gearbox bearings).

These days the cars VAG make seem to be rusting again and what were niggles are now major and expensive headaches.

I've done what I call a pre-restoration on my B5.5 with the intention of keeping it as long as possible. Like you I was thinking about getting something newer a year or two ago but upon trying to decide what to get I realised there is nothing I'd want. I've always bought my cars either just out of warranty at three years old or slightly older, that used to be quite risk free with only wear and tear items epxected along with a few niggles. Not now, there is no way I'd consider anything of that age and out of warranty. When the time comes for replacement it'll be new or nearly new with a warranty. That said, my B5.5 should now be good for another 13 years !

0 2 0

7. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    of course there is a better car than a b5, yes, the b4, that came before the b5. otherwise known as the audi 80. find obe of those that been kept well and you can have a car for life. they are simpler than a b5 and have ordinary macpherson strut front suspension thats cheap and quick and easy to replace rather than the more complicated set up on the b5 that really doesnt offer much advantage. fully galvanised shell as well ... even my exhaust is original to the car they are that well made.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

8. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    of course there is a better car than a b5, yes, the b4, that came before the b5. otherwise known as the audi 80. find obe of those that been kept well and you can have a car for life. they are simpler than a b5 and have ordinary macpherson strut front suspension thats cheap and quick and easy to replace rather than the more complicated set up on the b5 that really doesnt offer much advantage. fully galvanised shell as well ... even my exhaust is original to the car they are that well made.
    True

A late B4 powered by an AFN is a good idea, if you can find one.

0 1 0

9. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Speaking of B5's or 5.5's any thoughts on prices for late sub 100k milers like this one ?
    Volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI PD Highline 5dr

0 0 0

10. Re: Best B5 replacement ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob69 View Post
    Speaking of B5's or 5.5's any thoughts on prices for late sub 100k milers like this one ?
    Volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI PD Highline 5dr

Blimey, they do hold their value and are holding it

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast