Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the work done by a friend who claims that the correct torque settings were set on the tensioner bolts. I 90% believe him, he has the tools to do that so not sure why he wouldn't use them if he didn't have them.

I haven't had the engined timed back up yet but I think it's almost certain that the engine is going to be scrap. In that scenario, what is the likelyhood of getting any kind of compensation from the supplier of the tensioner or the company that manufacture the tensioner?

Is there any advice on what to do at this point?

Ste,

0 0 0

2. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    zero, absolutely zero, unless of course the tensioner was faulty, which it isnt. the tensioner bolt came loose either because it wasnt torqued correctly or the tensioner wasnt sitting on the block correctly. i doubt your friend has any insurance to cover this situation so you are probably on your own on this one, less one friend who has just cost you a good few hundred quid.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    This is a very common and well known problem in the trade with the BKD engine, it usually happens after the cars second belt change.Is it the upper tensioner stud which has failed?

We only fit genuine belt kits and these always come with a new stud, if not they only cost £2.21. Which make of kit was used? Was the stud replaced? What specification did he set the nut on the tensioner stud to?

When we get these dumped on us by the RAC and AA, we will only fix them by fitting a new genuine VW head

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

4. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    i think the gates kit comes with a new stud now as well.

1 0 0

5. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    It is not shown on the picture and parts list they give Tec Doc but that could be out of date.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can't confirm it was changed at the moment but i can confirm it's the cars 3rd belt change. I bought the car at 80k miles and I can only assume a belt change had been done before that but regardless, I had the belt changed the day I bought the car (80k) miles and it was changed at the end of April (146k)

0 0 0

7. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    It has probably never had a new stud, all this damage because of a £2.21 part! It is pretty much common knowledge that this stud should be replaced, it has been in numerous tech articles in trade publications, on forums, bar banter and probably even pillow talk!

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    yes, pillow talk. mrs z did mention something about a big stud to me last night, and how she could snap it ..

0 2 0

9. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks all for the replies. I think it's safe to say the car is scrap? The chances of the engine working nicely after the cam loosing tensions at 80mph and then me continuing to drive it is going to leave me with a very dead an expensive salvage. I'm not sure it's even worth me paying for somebody to re-time the cams to test if the engine is OK as I get a feeling the odds are highly against me. Feeling very depressed as i've had that car 3 years and loved every mile in. Is there any reason not to send the car to the scrap yard? It's an 05 plate with 150k on the clock, a damaged nearside mirror and a rusting offside wheelarch?

This was her the day I bought her
    car.jpg

0 0 0

10. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    there is a 99% chance of valve damage. all depends , if it only jumped 1 tooth then it may be ok. if it jumped 3 or more then its scrap. you could buy a used head complete and drop that on, if you can find one, or a whole engine. even then you are going to be looking at a grand to do it properly.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast