Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If I bought a new head then would I also need to but new valves, assuming that only the valves were at damage? My confusion being that I don't know if the valves are part of the head or not

0 0 0

2. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Usually it does not bend the rods but it wreaks havoc on the cams and lifters. The trouble is as you say, the cars value. recently we bought a 2009 A6 for scrap value because the gearbox had failed, a job that would cost roughly the same as replacing your cylinder head with a genuine one, the head alone is £1800 then you have the huge pile of parts needed to go with it, the sensible precaution of a turbo rebuild etc etc. By the time you have finished, paying average garage rates you could drop £3500 on that job and not have chance to blink!

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've seen reconditioned heads around for within the £150 range. I'm under the impression that the labour of changing a head isn't too intensive. It would require a gasket kit of course. But i'm unsure if the damaged that's most likely caused by my recent events would be solved with a new head? Is the extent of the damage potentially past the head and would require actual investigation to determine if a new head would replace any potentially fubar'd parts?

0 0 0

4. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Recon for £150! Do me a favour.......... 16 new valves, 16 new valve guides, 16 lifter arms, 16 valve oil seals, re-face, and do they re heat treat the face?

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

6. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    That's an 8v and bare....

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

7. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    cheap though ? i like the way they say valves are re cut, so thats presuming your valves are ok, if not they sell new ones, so the price skyrockets quickly.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

8. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    One very important point is that VAG specify that "The cylinder heads of diesel engines must not be machined" and "Valves, Do not machine valves or seats, only hand grinding is permissible"

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

9. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I'd be interested to hear what the OP ended up doing in this situation, perhaps if you read this you could update the thread, particularly with the cost and whether a new head was fitted, etc..

0 0 0

10. Re: 2005 MK5 GTTDI - Recently had CAM belt/tensioner changed and the tensioner bolt came loose and belt slipped at 80mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'm aware of the age of this post but in case anyone else has this issue. I have a 2.0tdi BKD Touran. A month ago I renewed the timing belt with a gates kit including water pump. No new stud was included and there was no mention in Haynes manual or autodata. So just short of 1000 miles the stud loosened off and the tensioner backed off allowing the cams to slip. Was driving 60/70 and even put it back into gear and lifted the clutch to try and restart it. Anyway after a recovery I thought what the hell I'll try re-setting the timing. Tapped and fitted a helicoil and just used a standard M8 bolt instead of a stud. Set up the timing to TDC and guess what? IT RUNS!! My guess is that if it comes loose rather than snapping it doesn't damage the engine. A couple videos on YouTube were the same result. So if this happens to anyone else I would defo recommend fixing the tensioner thread and setting the timing!

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast