Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Audi Q7 Tow bar - electrically folding with trailer assist (with directional plastic 360 ring fitted to the tow ball)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: Audi Q7 Tow bar - electrically folding with trailer assist (with directional plastic 360 ring fitted to the tow ball) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi,

Have you had any further experiences/information with this? I have the TTA kit and my folding camper has a Alko stabiliser hitch fitted, we are going to be using the camper soon. Should we use the stabiliser or not?

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi Q7 Tow bar - electrically folding with trailer assist (with directional plastic 360 ring fitted to the tow ball) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi.

Just returned from South France having towed a caravan with AlKo Stabiliser for 1700 miles. No damage to towball ring and the trailer assist worked fine.

0 1 0

3. Re: Audi Q7 Tow bar - electrically folding with trailer assist (with directional plastic 360 ring fitted to the tow ball) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Excellent news, thank you

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi Q7 Tow bar - electrically folding with trailer assist (with directional plastic 360 ring fitted to the tow ball) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I've done a couple of hundred miles only towing a caravan with an Alko stabiliser, and no problems so far. Trailer assist also worked brilliantly
    Sept 16 Q7 S line 272 - Daytona Grey, Dynamic pack with Adaptive air suspension, Technology pack - HUD , Virtual Cockpit - Audi Phone Box, 21" turbine wheels, Parking pack advanced, Pan sunroof, Black leather, Bose, Matrix LED, Advance key, Driver/Pass elec memory, Ambient lighting, Heated folding door mirrors, flat bottomed steering wheel, Electric folding towbar, Trailer assist, 4 x Quattro Puddle Lights, Thinkware F770 front and rear

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi Q7 Tow bar - electrically folding with trailer assist (with directional plastic 360 ring fitted to the tow ball) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Was going through this post and finally gone completely bonkers. But I see a lot of in-house expertise now. I also wanted to fit a two-bar - not for caravan or trailer but only for the bike carrier. Any suggestion. Don't like the tail like thingy sticking out of the back all the time though.

-S

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi Q7 Tow bar - electrically folding with trailer assist (with directional plastic 360 ring fitted to the tow ball) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    I'm about to order and see there's two tow bar options. I understand the 1300 pound option however I wanted to know what the 1050 option offered? Anyone have any information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi Q7 Tow bar - electrically folding with trailer assist (with directional plastic 360 ring fitted to the tow ball) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the AudiQ7, fitted with Trailer Pack and so I have the assist ring.

When connected to a caravan with a friction type stabiliser, the combination of the two is POTENTIALLY LETHAL!!!!

I found this out "the hard way" and it was a terrifying experience!

As mentioned in another posting (Bryn) the ring is damaged by the friction pads, in the stabiliser.

The plastic tabs get broken and as they "can't go anywhere" - they melt onto the surface of the pads - so there is no longer any friction and therefore no stabilisation.

We almost had a disastrous accident.

A close passing, fast moving, large wagon set up a sway, in the composure of the van, which in a matter of seconds, rapidly escalated into violent left to right, left to right, movement and we very nearly toppled!!!

There was no prior warning - the caravan just, suddenly, went out of control

Very, very frightening and we were lucky to have survived it!

When we reached the site, I examined things.

The plastic tabs (a lot of them!) were "missing" from the assist ring and when I got down to inspect the hitch, the plastic had melted onto the pads.

A very dangerous combination - the Trailer Assist package is NOT suitable for towing a caravan.

Bryn - check the pads in your Alko.

Please can you report back to this forum to let others know how you went on with Audi?

Audi - please sort this, before there's a fatality.

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi Q7 Tow bar - electrically folding with trailer assist (with directional plastic 360 ring fitted to the tow ball) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Interested to hear the outcome of this story. On the verge of buying a 2019 Q7 with trailer assist, and the sensor ring already has some damage. Can it be replaced? What did Audi Technical say? Unsure whether to proceed with the purchase…

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi Q7 Tow bar - electrically folding with trailer assist (with directional plastic 360 ring fitted to the tow ball) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Last car had Trailer assist and had to change the pads on the Alko stabiliser every year as they were getting worn down quickly ( didn't do that many tows) . The ring on the towbar seemed fine. Certainly caused some head scratching at caravan dealers when they saw it.

New car just has the folding towbar without trailer assist. Never used the assist feature ,so won't miss it or the ring!

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123