Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Rear discs and brake pad change on 2012 B7 Passat - maintaining voltage / charging

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Rear discs and brake pad change on 2012 B7 Passat - maintaining voltage / charging 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Just an update if anyone is interested (I will post this full repair as a thread from start to finish on its own).

I ended up getting a Halfords smart charger for Normal, AGM and Gel batteries including start / stop. It was £45 and did the job perfectly.

I used a borrowed VCDS and was pretty straight forward as long as you follow the ross tech wiki video step by step.

Very annoyingly I was defeated by the 14mm triple square / spline head bolt that holds the pad carrier to the car as I didn't have that socket. I've now ordered one and can hopefully change everything this weekend!
    Audi A6 2008 Saloon Sline 2.0 Tdi BRE
    Vw Passat B7 1.6 tdi 2012 estate

Previously - 2008 1.6 tdi Mini, 2006 Mazda Mx5 1.8, 2002 Vw Golf 1.9 tdi SE, 2010 Bmw 318d Msport, 1992 Porsche 944 2.5 turbo, 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 NA, 1984 Porsche 944 2.5 NA

0 0 0

2. Re: Rear discs and brake pad change on 2012 B7 Passat - maintaining voltage / charging 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Yes, always interested here.

A 14mm triple square spline head bolt...I must drop that one in to a pub conversation when it gets quiet.

Would that be a 14mm socket head bolt i.e. the spline is internal. Like shown here 19 pics down. VWVortex.com - DIY How To: Rear mk5 brake pad and rotor replacement.

Are you taking pictures of the process.
    2013 B7 Passat BlueMotion Sport Estate 2.0 TDi 177PS (CFGC), 6 speed Manual, Metallic Night Blue, Fontana alloys, Start/Stop, RNS-510 (HW H09, SW 5238 V13 maps, 8316) Nav DAB, ACC, XDS, TPM, Westfalia Tow bar, Rear View camera, Keyless Entry, Easy Open/close Electric Tailgate, Park Assist, Electric Parking Brake, DRL's, Amb light, Zebrano wood, Tinted Glass, mud flaps, 61K. Cheat emission software. Nextbase 402G iN-CAR CAM.

0 0 0

3. Re: Rear discs and brake pad change on 2012 B7 Passat - maintaining voltage / charging 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi. Sorry to resurrect an old post but came across this thread whilst trying to establish the size of the triple square bolt I need. I too need to change disk and pads on my 2013 1.6tdi passat Estate and was hoping it was fairly simple. However, most YouTube clips make it look OK, I've seen two now who are hooking up a vcds to do something with the electronic parking brake. The post here also mentions it. Do I absolutely need to use a vcds type equipment to enable me to change disk&pads? What will happen if I don't use one ie:does it just make the task harder or impossible? £264 quoted by Halfords for the job but I really wanted to try myself.
    Many thanks for any help/advice.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Strath44 View Post
    Hi Folks,

I have a 1.6 tdi 2012 passat estate.

Project this weekend is to do the rear discs etc, was watching the Ross Tech video and it says to attach a charger to maintain the batt voltage which is required by one of the epb modules or else it will create problems.

What kind of charger can I use, I understand my car uses a AGM (Absorbed glass mat) battery and this may need special charging!?

What a pita this is my B7 is a great car but the EPB is a joke I hate it, I just want to do the rear discs and pads and have to go through all this faff before even taking anything appart!

Any help appreciated with charging or any tips on changing the rear brakes!

0 0 0

4. Re: Rear discs and brake pad change on 2012 B7 Passat - maintaining voltage / charging 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I picked up a rosstech vcds just after this thread and 6 years later it has been invaluable.
    It is doable to do the change without it ive done it once but it is a total faf and for £30 or less for a cheapo vcds that will do the pads it’s not worth thinking about.

I’ve never done it any other way than this worked every time for me -

Electro-Mechanical Parking Brakes (EPB): How to do rear brakes - YouTube

0 0 0

5. Re: Rear discs and brake pad change on 2012 B7 Passat - maintaining voltage / charging 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Strath44 - thanks very much for the reply. I was wondering if I could just release the brake whilst on Jack stands and ignition (not engine) on. However, I bought a small diagnostic tool called Carista for about £14 last year to diagnose a failed abs sensor and it turns out it can also disengage the EPB. So I'll be giving it all a go this weekend, weather permitting.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12