Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just trying to get my 5 count so I can reply to private messages
    "My Diesel is cheaper than yours"
    "Asphalt is for racing dirt is for growing potatoes" "Dirt is for racing asphalt is for getting there"
    "We don't stop racing cause we get old" "We get old cause we stop racing"
    0 0 0

2. Re: Bio-Diesel anyone? 
    Smalls Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by danoby View Post
    well it is easy really, just drive like grandad, dont go over 60mph and dont go over 2000RPM, and i am running on 100% biodiesel.

I live in the countryside so it does go down when i visit london maybe to about 54MPG
    So the bio you use is not EN14214?

If so, this is encouraging...I would like to know about anyone using 'non-standardised' bio, as for me the jump from EN14214 to the unlabelled stuff means I can get it much more locally - a local company sells it and runs its fleet on it, with apparently no problems. It's called "Leeds Bio Fuels Ltd" if anyone knows about it?

Also just found this locater:
    http://www.thebiodieselcook.com/
    0 0 0

3. Re: Bio-Diesel anyone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    [I][I][I][QUOTE=Smalls;101221]So the bio you use is not EN14214?

If so, this is encouraging...I would like to know about anyone using 'non-standardised' bio, as for me the jump from EN14214 to the unlabelled stuff means I can get it much more locally

I have always bought bio-diesel from used oil that has been made to EN14214 standards but is not actually certified due to the altering feedstock problem.

You have to be careful if buying in cans to make sure they are clean, keep re-using your own if you can. Every batch of bio I get I shake up the cans and put a little in a jar and leave it to see if there is any banding of different weights of oil. I have in the past bought bio-diesel that is contaminated with palm oil that will settle out as a band at the bottom of the jar after a while in cold conditions. Apparently this only causes problems during the colder months as it is not dissolved into the rest of the fuel and will clog up the fuel filter causing reduced performance and presumably pump strain. As winter approaches and temperatures drop some fuel can be seen to wax, small globules of oil either in suspension or sitting at the bottom, much like you get if you keep good olive oil in very cold conditions. I am trying to find out more about this waxing and how it affects the pump, filter and injectors, any help would be appreciated.
    0 0 0

4. Re: Bio-Diesel anyone? 
    Smalls Guest
    Hi thanks for that Danoby.

I just heard from a supplier in Sheffield who said the same thing - his stock is always tested for
    PH
    Viscosity
    soap test
    Esther test
    specific gravity

but because it comes from different source feedstock (waste oil) they would have to have it tested for the EN mark for every batch (too expensive).

So I suppose the conclusion is to be more environmentally friendly (i.e. get biodiesel from waste oil) probably means getting fuel that isn't EN14214, and make sure its tested and processed in the right way - either by the supplier (element of trust comes in) or by yourself (or both!). Also I guess if it comes straight from a pump then you don't need to check for any dirty containers/cans.

Thanks for that.
    0 0 0

5. Re: Bio-Diesel anyone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Guys...

I have a MK4 Golf GT TDI on an 02 plate... Just done 90k

Can anyone confirm that it's ok to use Bio-Diesel in it?.. If so in what ratio?

Also my dad is running his VW caddy (96 plate) on 5:1 mix of Vegetable Oil (lidl Corn Oil) to standard Diesel...

Would this be un acceptable for my car!?... I really hate rip off britain and it's fuel taxes

Thanks

Stu
    0 0 0

6. Re: Bio-Diesel anyone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everyone. Just a quick post to see if anyone has any information about later model Passat TDI 130s and biodiesel.

I recently bought a '54 Passat thinking I'd be able to run it on 100%. After doing some research I'm thinking that maybe I've made a major mistake.

The irony is that I've just been responsible for setting up only the second community-owned biodiesel pump in Wales, so it's kind of important to me that I'm able to use the stuff.

The information I've got from the internet seems pretty varied and occasionally misleading, and I haven't actually been able to find anything that's specific to Passats made in '04. I'm told that VWs made up to 2004 (which theoretically includes mine) are ok for bio-d. But then I read that that later PDs don't like it. There's more information on the American sites, but it seems that PD was introduced later there, and therefore an '04 VW engine in the US may not necessarily have a PD engine.

Anyways, I'm bloody confused. If I have to I'll sell my current car and buy an older one that will run on bio-d I will, but having only bought the thing about three weeks ago I'm pretty fed up at the thought.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben
    0 0 0

7. Re: Bio-Diesel anyone? 
    Smalls Guest
    Hi Bendeus,

I found alot out about my VW Sharan (1997) from varying websites but in the end I wanted confirmation directly from the horses mouth - VW themselves.

They asked me the make/model etc and even checked the engine chassis number, and then confirmed with me that I could run 100% BioDiesel provided it was the EN14214 stuff.

So I've been using an 80/20 mix ever since, no probs apart from the smell makes me hungry.

Good luck, hope that's useful.
    0 0 0

8. Re: Bio-Diesel anyone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    Hi Bendeus,

I found alot out about my VW Sharan (1997) from varying websites but in the end I wanted confirmation directly from the horses mouth - VW themselves.

They asked me the make/model etc and even checked the engine chassis number, and then confirmed with me that I could run 100% BioDiesel provided it was the EN14214 stuff.

So I've been using an 80/20 mix ever since, no probs apart from the smell makes me hungry.

Good luck, hope that's useful.
    more likely a 76:24 mix as most places that sell petro diesel already sell 95:5 (i.e. 5% bioD).

I've been off the veggies stuff for a while, but intend to go back to a 50:50 blend (or is that a 47.5:52.5 blend ;P) in march, after cold spell has gone.

I don't know why, but my MPG just went all over the place, I had one of my highest runs at 54mpg, then I had two really low runs. I think I'll see if it was just the cold.

================================
    FotE rep was saying on TV last week that she thought BioDiesel was "bad for the environment" as tropical rainforests were being cut down to produce it. She could also have said wind turbines and solar farms are "bad for the environment" as these too could be built on tropical rainforest land, should the owners of the land desire to do so.......
    ================================

-AS
    1 0 0

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456