1. 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Looking to change the balancer shaft on my Passat 58plate cr currently at 142k. Replacement will be coming from KMB parts.

Been advised to also change/renew the following:

Oil pump key retaining circlip
    Oil pump pickup O seal
    8 x balance shaft assy bolts (x5, x2, x1 of different sizes)

Does anyone have the part numbers for the above? wanna do it over the xmas hols so want to get all the parts before dealers shut.

Crasher, out of curiosity, how much would you charge to do the lot?

0 0 0

2. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Same part numbers as listed on UKP Imran. The only difference is the 5 bolts listed for a K revision unit are reduced to 3 for the AG and AK balance unit revisions. Yours will more than likely be a K revision as 58 plate cars were too early for the AG and AK units.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

1 0 0

3. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi guys
    sorry to hijack your post. I am looking to change the balance shaft on my B6 passat. it might be a bit late because my warning light as gone off, but I think if i am going to doing any engine changed i might as well give it a go. is there any way i get the instructions how to do it??

Cheers in advance

0 0 0

4. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Disconnect battery negative lead.
    Slacken OSF wheel nuts.
    Jack up car slightly to remove undershield and remove wheel and wheel arch liner.
    Slacken auxiliary belt tensioner and lock off with suitable "pin" (allen key, drill bit or short handled screwdriver) and remove auxiliary belt noting its rotational direction.

Remove timing belt covers and crank pulley.
    Drain oil.
    Jack up higher and support with axle stands at suitable points to the rear of the subframe to allow room to work under engine.
    Disconnect oil level sensor plug, remove sump, remove leftover silicone sealant from sump edge and crank carrier surfaces as you will need to reseal the sump for refitting - their is no sump gasket.

At this point you will see the balancer shaft unit bolted below the crank.
    Lock cams and toothed crankshaft cog at TDC with appropriate locking tools.
    This also locks the balancer drive cog on the back of the crank gear cog inside the sump area.
    Support balancer unit and undo the 8 retaining bolts, if I remember rightly one of these is a long oil pump bolt and they are different sizes so use a piece of cardboard and pop them in the same positions on the cardboard noting that you are looking upwards at the balancer unit (renewal of the bolts is recommended as they are stretch type with additional angle stage tightening).
    Wiggle the unit slightly and it should come away - it is HEAVY!!
    Lower it carefully, it still has a lot of oil inside and remove from under the car.

Remove circlip from oil pump drive key hole (it's very small - renew it).
    Drive key can be removed with a small magnet or by feeding it through from the balance shaft end.
    Balancer unit is in two halves. Remove strainer pipe checking gauze is clear (clean pipe and gauze if necessary and renew pipe seal).
    Undo retaining bolts again they may be different sizes and lift off top half leaving bottom half with balancer shafts in situ.
    Shafts can be lifted out from bottom half of unit and gearing checked.
    Replacement is usually no 2 shaft which has the drive key hole for the pump with a modified version (yours or exchange).
    Clean visible oil channels on both halves and inspect shell bearings of balancer unit where shafts sit. Renew shells if worn or scored.

Apply thick oil or assembly lube to inside of shells and clean balance shaft journals.
    When replacing a shaft ensure that the flat surface of the balance weight on each shaft sit level with each other (once their gear cogs have been reintroduced) in the bottom half of the balancer unit.
    Apply assembly lube to balance shaft gear cogs.

Fit a new upgraded drive key of the correct length with retaining circlip.
    Refitting is the reverse of removal noting that a special tool will be needed to retain the shafts in a specific position in the balance unit to align the drive gears and ensure they marry correctly before bolting the unit to the specific torque / angle settings.

A very small amount of backlash (backward rotation of the intermediate cog) should be present after refitting the unit.
    This is necessary to avoid gear damage or excess wear.
    You should have very slight rotational "play" for want of a better word when turning the lower gear cog against the intermediate one.
    This is necessary to avoid gear damage or excess wear. Too tight against each other and the gear teeth will grind.

Seal sump with silicone sealant before refitting. Refit all other components removed applying correct torque settings.

CHECK: REMOVE ALL LOCKING TOOLS AND REFILL OIL!!

Rotate engine by hand a few turns to ensure free movement and no sticking of balancer unit gearing.

Reconnect battery and start up.

2 1 0

5. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    thanks gazworld.

0 0 0

6. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Gazworld

what do you think my chances are this working and everything being ok???

0 0 0

7. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I guess it depends on your mechanical expertise, personally having read the above I wouldn't do it myself. I am a self taught DIY mechanic though but I have done Pd timing belts so not entirely hopeless. I think there are too many things that could go wrong, one of my favourite phrases "fraught with danger" springs to mind. Others may advise differently and I don't mean to be negative but if this leads to you needing an new engine.......

0 0 0

8. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I am just thinking that everyone says that once the light comes on the damage is already done. so even i mess it up i will not be any worse off all points lead to used engine. i have not done anything so challenging as you but i have replace the replaced the glow plugs and done the rear brakes.

is there any where i could get the torque settings for the task i am about to take on??

cheers again mate

0 0 0

9. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Not always . Many carry on fine after balancer shaft regeneration if switched off early when under low demand , motorway is a bad and high demand place to be when this happens and people try their luck to get to the next place of safety.

0 0 0

10. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    that is the news i was hoping for. i will take off the cam cover and have a look at the cams and bearings to see it there is any damage.

any ideas on where i can get the torque settings for all bolts for balance shaft??

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast