1. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You need someone with a workshop manual programme, ELSAWIN, Bentley or something, can't help I am afraid but someone should be able to?

1 0 0

2. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    This is for NEW balancer unit to cylinder block bolts (if you are not renewing them do not use these settings):

M7 bolts - Stage 1 is 13 Nm (10 lbf ft) and Stage 2 is further angle-tighten by 90 degrees

M8 bolts - Stage 1 is 20 Nm (15 lbf ft) and Stage 2 is further angle-tighten by 90 degrees

Crankshaft pulley to sprocket bolts - Stage 1 is 10 Nm (7 lbf ft) and Stage 2 is further angle-tighten by 90 degrees.

Sump to cylinder block bolts - 15 Nm (11 lbf ft)
    Sump to transmission bolts - 45 Nm (33 lbf ft)
    Oil pickup pipe bolts - 10 Nm (7 lbf ft)
    Oil pump to balancer unit - 10 Nm (7 lbf ft)

Sump sealing - Use a bead of gasket sealant of no more than 3mm wide - more is bad as you don't want excess gasket sealant breaking off in the sump and being sucked into the pickup strainer blocking the oil draw. The bead should be made just to the inside of centre on the sump mating surface and around the inside edge of the bolt holes. It's a little fiddly getting the sump pan up so practice a few times with the empty sump pan before applying the sealant. You have roughly 5 to 8 minutes to mate the sump with the block before the gasket solidifies. Mate it, stick a few bolts in hand tight and relax. The rest can be bolted on at your leisure.

My oil pump drive key failed at 148,000 but I switched off within 20 seconds of getting the STOP - Low oil pressure warning. I replaced the balancer shaft and key with modified parts, am now at 168,000 and still going. Idle is even 800 when cold and even 750 when warm. Oil service every 10k without fail and old oil filter inserts come out pretty darn clean (of any noticeable deposits or debris) so healthy engine still methinks.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

2 0 0

3. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks very much DMitch16 , quattrokid and gaz

0 2 0

4. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hello Gazwould
    seasons greetings mate. I went to the dealers today in Nottingham and I was told i need the part numbers for the Balance Shaft bolts, oil pump seal and circular clip. I think that is crazy that they made the car and do not have them.

do you know where I can get those parts?? of will I have to find the part no.s??

0 0 0

5. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hello Gazwould
    seasons greetings mate. I went to the dealers today in Nottingham and I was told i need the part numbers for the Balance Shaft bolts, oil pump seal and circular clip. I think that is crazy that they made the car and do not have them.

do you know where I can get those parts?? of will I have to find the part no.s??

0 0 0

6. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Passat B6 Part Numbers (saved listing by DMitch16)
    "Part numbers quoted are based on the gear driven unit. Should be the same for the balancer unit on chain driven oil pump system. Some early PD engines didn't have a balancer unit.
    2005-2009 (to October) balancer unit is 03g103295K
    2009 (November and December only) unit is 03g103295AG
    2010 (January onward unit is 03g103295AK
    The AG and AK revisions are 100mm long follower keys and should not be failing like the 77mm short ones.
    For the K revision (77mm long follower key) there is a 5, 1, 1, 1, configuration with four different bolt part numbers:
    N 10601402 x 5
    N 90977502 x 1
    N 91104601 x 1
    N 91123401 x 1
    N 90951301 x 1 oil pickup seal
    N 0122942 x 1 follower key retaining circlip
    The five bolts listed for a K revision unit are reduced to three for the AG and AK balance unit revisions.
    VW swapped from chain to gear in the time that the BKP was being produced."

If yours is the PD unit affected with 77mm shaft ("K" revision) then the part number listed will bring up an ETKA listing at dealer spares. With a diagram that you'd like a copy of. My dealer spares department give me a diagram print whether I'm buying or not. (Beadles, Dartford)

This info can also be got by the clerk inputting your VIN. Don't understand why you wern't asked for it
    Last edited by RichardSEL; 05-01-2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: VIN
    **SOLD** '06 B6 Passat 2L tFSI SEL 3c5, 232 bhp, Geba metal water pump, GlowShift boost & oil pressure gauges, paddles, powder-coated black Chicago rims yellow calipers, JVC KW NX7000/E sat nav DAB BT Ripspeed sub reverse cam, hi-line MFD, MFSW, Skyline tails, Laminex fogs, LEDs, indicator DRLs, Philips X-tremeVision heads, PowerFlow chrome exhaust, tints to rear, vanity VRM, TPMS, power-fold dimming mirrors, brolly

0 1 0

7. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Cheers RichardSEL

Thanks to everyone for all the information. just an update regarding this tread. I picked up the bolts today from TPS, which I totally forget sell VW genuine parts. I will be driving up to KMB tomorrow to pick the replacement balance shaft and I am hoping it will install this weekend without any problems.

I will keep you guys informed about how i got on.

Cheers again everyone

0 0 0

8. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    I did this job a year ago and put up the procedure list for all to view as now posted by Gazwould for your reference. It was done on a 2007 BMR engine but for you will mostly be the same. For the crank lock you will need to know which timing belt teeth you have (round or oval) and therefore which crank pulley cog as there are 2 types and therefore 2 types of locking pin. A good set has both along with the balance shaft alignment plate. One lines up arrow marks at around 2 o'clock and the other at 12 o'clock. The Haynes manual illustrates both types to identify the appropriate locking tool needed.

PM me if you need help (I can WhatsApp if it helps with pictorial assistance).
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

9. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMitch16 View Post
    I did this job a year ago and put up the procedure list for all to view as now posted by Gazwould for your reference. It was done on a 2007 BMR engine but for you will mostly be the same. For the crank lock you will need to know which timing belt teeth you have (round or oval) and therefore which crank pulley cog as there are 2 types and therefore 2 types of locking pin. A good set has both along with the balance shaft alignment plate. One lines up arrow marks at around 2 o'clock and the other at 12 o'clock. The Haynes manual illustrates both types to identify the appropriate locking tool needed.

PM me if you need help (I can WhatsApp if it helps with pictorial assistance).
    Hello everyone
    Sorry DMitch16 It seemed the tread was closed so i attached this message to you previously sent message. thanks for the offer and i would very much appreciated. I picked up my shiny replacement part. it looks great

it was not easy because I work nights and then drive to lets say chesterfield to pick up the part. DMitch16 to answer your questions,the TDC of my crank is set to 2 oclock. i dont know the type of belt i have, how can i find out?? my plan was to do some work today but i was knackered so i will be working to nite.

my my number is 07008241226, if you send me a message and then i will have your number.

everyone on this post the beers are on me.

0 0 0

10. Re: 2.0 TDI balancer shaft replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    DMitch

mate i wrote the number wrong, and i just say it. the number is 07908241226. I wanted to ask you the bolts on the top half of the balance shaft did you use any torque for them?? I have put it back together and i am just waiting on a mate to come and help me put it back up.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast