Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Has anyone had the notification of the FREE Windows 10 upgrade for Windows 7 or 8 users?

I have noticed a small Windows icon appeared on the taskbar... if you click it you register to get the upgrade... Worth it for free is suppose... Seems a couple of things on my laptop may not be compatible but bot seems to be what came with my computer and I never use them.
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder
    Member of the Institute Of Advanced Motorists
    Member of BMW Car Club GB
    - Email: stuart@vwaudiforum.co.uk -

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

Ways to support the website

Details of the VW Audi Forum Insurance Scheme, See Here

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

1 2 0

2. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yep sure have.... I think most users of a genuine copy of Windows 7 or 8 will get this offer, there was chat when Windows 10 beta version was first released that it would be given away free... Nice to see the start button back!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk Pro
    VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4 Motion 2016 manual

Full VCDS Available

0 0 0

3. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    i'll give it a go, if i don't like it i'll just reinstall 7. the preview pics look pretty good though, a vast improvement over the much hated '8'!

1 0 0

4. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not a Windows user but would recommend you guys waiting approx 2 months or so after its release to upgrade. No doubt Windows will drop a number of updates once it is released.

0 0 0

5. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have windows 7 and sticking with it because anything new comes with problems so it will take a good year before i have it.

0 0 0

6. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Bit of an old thread of mine, but as today was the last day to install and get activation of Windows 10 for free, I have taken the plunge and updated my Windows 7 laptop...

First impressions are... I like it!

Took around 90 mins to upgrade, and everything seems to work OK except for 2 items...

1. The bluetooth set up on the laptop came up as incompatible once the upgrade was completed, but Windows installed its own drive and that still works...

2. When new the laptop came with, what I have found to be a very useful piece of software, Stardock fences... I would never use this, but you may be aware that Windows 7 had a habit of re-arranging the desktop icons for no reason.. Windows 10 is reported to do the same... Stardock Fences allows you, amongst other things to take a "snapshot" of the desktop, and with a couple of clicks you can put it all back how you like it...

v1 was not compatible with Windows 10, and actually locked the desktop so you could not move the icons at all .. Simple update using the 30 day trial of v3 (which I have now licensed) fixed that, but the update to v3 is only $9.99 so that is a cheap fix.

Only negative so far, boot up seems a little longer, but again this is a reported issue..

So, my 5 year old HP laptop seems OK with Windows 10 ... Happy so far.... Seems a little faster once booted..
    Stuart
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

0 0 0

7. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    OK, been using Windows 10 for a couple of day's now, and I must say I like it... Don't think I will be reverting to Windows 7

Seems a lot quicker and smoother than Windows 7... I did think the boot up time was a little slower but for some reason that seems OK now

Recommended upgrade for me so far.
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

0 0 0

8. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Windows 8/10 Shutdown is more of a hibernation/hybrid sleep than a proper shutdown and is much quicker than a Restart that’s needed after an update or installation. Restart is a full reboot which closes all kernel sessions and performs a proper cold boot. It’s worth doing a restart once a week to fix glitches, complete pending updates or if you lose connection to a network device like a wireless printer etc.

I would recommend going to Start > Settings > Privacy and disable everything. Also change Feedback to “Never” and turn off all background apps to get a further speed boost.

BTW, be prepared for a major update on Tuesday that will unfortunately stop people disabling Cortana… expect a third party fix for this about 20min after MS release the update

0 0 0

9. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    ended up not installing it, i like W7 too much!

0 1 0

10. Re: Windows 10 upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fest0r View Post
    Windows 8/10 Shutdown is more of a hibernation/hybrid sleep than a proper shutdown and is much quicker than a Restart that’s needed after an update or installation. Restart is a full reboot which closes all kernel sessions and performs a proper cold boot. It’s worth doing a restart once a week to fix glitches, complete pending updates or if you lose connection to a network device like a wireless printer etc.

I would recommend going to Start > Settings > Privacy and disable everything. Also change Feedback to “Never” and turn off all background apps to get a further speed boost.

BTW, be prepared for a major update on Tuesday that will unfortunately stop people disabling Cortana… expect a third party fix for this about 20min after MS release the update
    I know Windows 10 is supposed to tell Microsoft everything, including when you go to make a coffee...Lol But I must say I do like it...

I have read about the "fast boot" that it uses and if you need to enter the bios/setup options you need to shut down in a certain way.. Look forward to the update now...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    ended up not installing it, i like W7 too much!
    I thought that, the icon and pop up has been bugging me for 12 months, then on the last day I thought sod it ... why not... and I must admit I am glad I did, I really do like it so far..
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast