Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi all,

I have recently acquired a 2012 Golf 1.6TDI Bluemotion 105hp.

I am toying with the idea of a remap, but struggling to come up with any real evidence of what the safe remap level is for this engine (if indeed it's safe to remap at all).

Does the 1.6 share the same clutch and turbo components as any of the higher output 2.0 engines? Is the new 1.6 120hp the same engine and running gear as the 105?

Just trying to find some evidence that the clutch, turbo and driveshafts are capable of handling some extra power before taking the plunge!

The remapping guys all say that anything from 130 to 145hp is perfectly fine, but how did they arrive at these figyres?! On some forums people say that the turbo really can't cope with a remap, nor can the clutch, and a remap is courting disaster. I'm not looking to drive the car around like a nutter, but I just find it rather slow and sluggish in its standard state.

Any advice or stories from experience of a 1.6 TDI would be greatly appreciated.
    2012 Golf Bluemotion 1.6TDI 105.

0 0 0

2. Re: Safe remap level for 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I know REVO extensively test their cars before releasing the software to the public so you should be fine with any big name company, just stay away from the lesser known, back street jobs.

Make sure your car is fine mechanically, ie you don't have any egr cooler issues/dpf etc.

Don't believe all you read on forums, if the software has been tested before release and you stick with a known company you will have comeback (should!) anything go wrong.

0 1 0

3. Re: Safe remap level for 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    any engine is safe as sold to the public, with a margin of at least 30 0 50 ish %. they never run to their limit because too many would go bang and cost loads in warranty claims, unless they are french of course, made by psa. they run too close to their limit for cheapnastiness. vw are more sensible. so yes, a remap to 130 ish would be safe. closer to the limit yes, but still safe enough.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

4. Re: Safe remap level for 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice fellas. I will have a look at Revo. The bluefin product looks ok too.

0 0 0

5. Re: Safe remap level for 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    These engines are capable of a lot more than people think, in Europe they have been tuned (inc turbo upgrades) to 180bhp. Ive developed my own to 207bhp and 463Nm with no issues.

You can safely map to 145bhp with no other supporting mods, id always opt for custom maps but rejected tuners such as Superchips offer a 145bhp map for the 1.6tdi.
    ADE Tuning Stage2 - CR177 Turbo Upgrade - S3 Intercooler - VW Racing Filter - Front & Rear Whiteline ARB's - Milltek Exhaust System - Darkside Developments Downpipe - Eibach Pro Kit - Bilstein Shocks - 312mm Brake Upgrade, Leon FR Callipers
    206.9bhp @3600rpm - 342.3Ft Lb @2850rpm

0 0 0

6. Re: Safe remap level for 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This is all very interesting stuff.

I still can't decide what to do. On paper there are some very compelling reasons to have a remap, but there are lots of people on other forums saying that the turbo on the 1.6 won't take extra stress of a remap, and it is a generally weakish engine built for economy.

Also, despite the impressive claims of many remapping companies, I still find it hard to believe that a typical tuning company with a unit or two on an industrial estate, a couple of decent laptops and a rolling road can produce better ECU software than Volkswagen.

I'm still looking for that elusive concrete evidence that shows exactly what torque and bhp the various components such as clutch, DMF, turbo, gearbox, driveshafts are rated at?! If this is unknown, how do remapping companies determine what the safe remap limit is? None of them state any scientific proof of what the engine and its components will take, so it seems as though the 'safe' remap figures are just plucked out of the air?

Having said all that, the 1.6TDI in the new Passat is 120hp as standard. If I knew it shared the same components as my 105hp version, I would go for a remap to 125hp. I would also take comfort in knowing that maybe the 1.6 shares the same clutch and drivetrain components as the 2.0 engines - does anyone know if this is the case?

I just can't help feeling that if remapping companies really did test cars properly and really did know all the actual safe limits for the engine, the information would be readily available on their websites. IE: Clutch in the 1.6TDI is rated to xxx lb/ft, our remap takes it to yyy lb/ft which is within the operating limits stated by LUK or Sachs. Limits of the turbo are xxx bhp, and our remap goes to yyy bhp, which is within the limits stated by Garrett (or whoever makes them).

Remapping still remains a black art!

1 0 0

7. Re: Safe remap level for 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TDiBoraSam View Post

I still can't decide what to do. On paper there are some very compelling reasons to have a remap, but there are lots of people on other forums saying that the turbo on the 1.6 won't take extra stress of a remap, and it is a generally weakish engine built for economy.

Also, despite the impressive claims of many remapping companies, I still find it hard to believe that a typical tuning company with a unit or two on an industrial estate, a couple of decent laptops and a rolling road can produce better ECU software than Volkswagen.

I'm still looking for that elusive concrete evidence that shows exactly what torque and bhp the various components such as clutch, DMF, turbo, gearbox, driveshafts are rated at?! If this is unknown, how do remapping companies determine what the safe remap limit is? None of them state any scientific proof of what the engine and its components will take, so it seems as though the 'safe' remap figures are just plucked out of the air?

Having said all that, the 1.6TDI in the new Passat is 120hp as standard. If I knew it shared the same components as my 105hp version, I would go for a remap to 125hp. I would also take comfort in knowing that maybe the 1.6 shares the same clutch and drivetrain components as the 2.0 engines - does anyone know if this is the case?

I just can't help feeling that if remapping companies really did test cars properly and really did know all the actual safe limits for the engine, the information would be readily available on their websites. IE: Clutch in the 1.6TDI is rated to xxx lb/ft, our remap takes it to yyy lb/ft which is within the operating limits stated by LUK or Sachs. Limits of the turbo are xxx bhp, and our remap goes to yyy bhp, which is within the limits stated by Garrett (or whoever makes them).

Hey,
    I bought an Octavia with the same engine and was also thinking of a remap but, as you said, I also could not find any information about how safe it is or if the stock 120hp from passat shares the same components. Have you had any luck in finding any information?
    Thanks

0 0 0

8. Re: Safe remap level for 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    It is an art .

They can do a better job because they spend longer in one area of development than VW , just like Eibach springs will improve both handling and ride quality on most cars.

And a better designed aftermarket exhaust system will release more torque and power...

Because they took the time to develop .

http://www.upsolute.com/en/chiptunin...-tdi-16-cr-105
    Last edited by Gazwould; 04-02-2016 at 10:54 AM.

0 0 0

9. Re: Safe remap level for 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I believe the 1.6tdi is limited by the injectors and turbo 160bhp is about the limit before turbo etc need to be changed.
    The injectors are on the limit about 180bhp with a hybrid turbo and exhaust.

0 0 0

10. Re: Safe remap level for 1.6 TDI? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TDiBoraSam View Post

Nothing is shared from 2.0 tdi.
    If you remap - clutch, flywheel all other main components will take more beating, BUT it will do it only when you really put your foot down and it produces that power, at normal driving most of the time it will do no harm. There is no any reason to remap for less than 145 hp as most tuners provide on stock parts, as they more or less copy one good tune.
    But if you so worried, probably, stay away from remap.
    Current cars:
    2007 Passat b6 2.0 tdi BMR DSG
    2013 Golf MK7 1.6 tdi 5 speed

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast