Notices

User Tag List

Thread: what fuse serves the number plate light ?

1. what fuse serves the number plate light ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    had a missing light on number plate so bought 2 new lights ,took the bulb out so as to replace both and quickly checked the original bulb in the missing bulb socket to make sure contacts were clean ...but it blew the original bulb !
    got a multimeter and getting .4 instead of 12.4 volt to the sockets ,so pressume its blown the fuse but in owners handbook it doesn,t show the fuse for plate light ,so quickly pulled all the small amp fuses out to check for blown fuse (both under bonnet and drivers side dash but can find no blown ????

can anyone tell me where the fuse is on a 1.9 tdi 2007 for the number plate light pretty please ?

0 0 0

2. Re: what fuse serves the number plate light ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    maybe no help but my older 2001 has fuse number 4. 5amp listed for same

0 0 0

3. Re: what fuse serves the number plate light ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by micheal balbrig View Post
    maybe no help but my older 2001 has fuse number 4. 5amp listed for same

thanks micheal ,thats quite a general one isnt it ,tried it tho and not blown, there are no in line fuses are there .any one know how to get the plastic liner away from rear hatch door ?
    i have undone the 2 screws in the finger holes but dont want to ruin the plastic by forcing it ?

0 0 0

4. Re: what fuse serves the number plate light ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Just pull from the outer edges, you'll feel alot of creaking but thats just the panel clips coming off.

1 0 0

5. Re: what fuse serves the number plate light ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Philidelphia, you cannot use a multimeter to check the numberplate light circuit. What you see at 0.4 volts is the canbus trying to detect a bulb. When you plug in a known good bulb, the canbus should detect it, and then put a full 12v on the circuit. As far as I know, there is no fuse specific to numberplate lights. If you get 0.4v, then it indicates the circuit is good. If a bulb 'blows' when you put it in, it usually means that the filament was weak, and handling the bulb makes it more fragile. After replacing with a good bulb, you may have to switch ignition on and off a few times. Then try the exterior lights and see if the numberplate lights up again. Good luck.

1 1 0

6. Re: what fuse serves the number plate light ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldy212 View Post
    Philidelphia, you cannot use a multimeter to check the numberplate light circuit. What you see at 0.4 volts is the canbus trying to detect a bulb. When you plug in a known good bulb, the canbus should detect it, and then put a full 12v on the circuit. As far as I know, there is no fuse specific to numberplate lights. If you get 0.4v, then it indicates the circuit is good. If a bulb 'blows' when you put it in, it usually means that the filament was weak, and handling the bulb makes it more fragile. After replacing with a good bulb, you may have to switch ignition on and off a few times. Then try the exterior lights and see if the numberplate lights up again. Good luck.
    geraldy , you are soooooo right lol found that out after stripping plastics off from inside of back door and cancelling my mot that i had booked in a couple of hours .
    spoke to my friend who does a bit of work on cars he said exactly the same , put both new lights in the plate holders and bingo ...both number plate lights lit and working , so what took me 3 or 4 hours stripping rear end of car down and pulling and checking every bloody fuse AND cancelling mot was rectified in a second by some one who knew what they were doing ,so thank you to him (friend )and to gerald big thank you

0 0 0

7. Re: what fuse serves the number plate light ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Spot on. I had been checking with multimeter between to confirm tailgate loom was not broken between plugs. Reading your answer made me realise I had pushed the contacts apart in the tailgate plug so that they didn’t make contact with the male fitting. Closed the female contacts with a pin and hey presto the number plate lights work again.

0 0 0