Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    It may be that the resistor in the lock actuator is a different value to the one in the locking switch on the door panel, so the locks only activate when the direct ground is applied to the wire on pin 20 but nothing happens when the ground through the resistor is applied. I've attached a diagram showing how the switch in the actuator works. When switch 1 closes, it sends a direct ground to the grey/white wire. When switch 2 closes the ground is passed to the grey/white wire via the resistor. You'd need to measure the resistance of the resistor in the actuator to see if it differs from the value of the one you have fitted to the remote locking. The attached diagram shows how to connect a multimeter to measure the value of the resistor. When the key is rotated in one direction, a value of 0 Ohms will be displayed - direct ground. When the key is rotated in the opposite direction, the value of the resistor will be displayed. This is how I worked out the value of the resistor in the locking switch on the door panel which uses basically the same circuit.

Jim.

Resistance Check.jpg
    Attached Images

0 0 0

2. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Excellent, so if I replace the 1K resistor with the right value, it should work?

I held the key in the lock position and the reading would level off to zero, and then I held it in the lock position and the reading would level off at around 200 ohms. Does this mean that resistor should be 200 instead of 1K?

I also discovered that holding the lock position will wind the windows up, and holding the unlock winds them down, something cool that I didn't know you could do!

0 0 0

3. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    200 Ohms? That's interesting because if you look back to the beginning of this thread, I said that the resistor value for the older 9N polo was 180 Ohms which is near enough 200.
    I'm thinking that 180 would probably have worked on the 6R polo (like yours) if I had connected to the wire on pin 20 rather than pin 11.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, I think if you change the 1K resistor for a 200 Ohm one it should work. And well done for managing to follow my instructions too.

Jim.

UPDATE: I just read back one of your previous posts were you said "when I press the unlock button, the door locks will lock and then can't be unlocked using the fob". That seems to suggest that the resistor may be on the wrong wire. When you pressed the unlock button, the doors locked. From your test above a direct ground locks the doors, so you may have to fit the resistor to the other wire. Try it first and see what happens but I think it will work the wrong way round and the unlock button will lock the doors.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, I'll get a 200 Ohm resistor tomorrow and give it a try with that, see if the lock and unlock is the right way round before I solder anything though.
    It wasn't too difficult, your intructions are pretty helpful and I'm usually handy with simple-ish electronics.

0 0 0

5. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Success! With the 200 Ohm resistor, the locks operate as they would with a standard fob! You were right in that they were the wrong way round to begin with, but I swapped the lock and unlock wires round and it now works as it should

Thanks so much for all your help Jim!

0 0 0

6. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Your welcome.

I'm glad we got there in the end. I've updated my notes for the next time I get a remote locking kit to fit. I don't know how I never figured how to do it correctly in the first place. Wasn't too difficult to figure out once I looked at the circuit diagram.

Cheers.

Jim.

0 0 0

7. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi flash can you help me please ive fitted remote central locking to a 2010 polo. Butnow after about 10 mins it shuts down the central locking. Even the key in lock dont work. What have I done.

0 0 0

8. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    I've no idea what you've done. Does your locking return to normal if you disconnect your remote locking control unit?
    I've written some fairly detailed instructions on how to wire remote locking to the polo, both on this thread and here : How To Remote Central Locking Addition to an 02 Polo - Page 2
    If you tell me what remote locking box you bought I'll see if I can find a wiring diagram and advise how to wire it up.

Regards.

Jim.

0 0 0

9. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to bring this thread back to life. I've got a 14 plate polo. I've had the remote central locking wired up to the interior switch for a while working fine. However I decided to change it to the actuator circuit today.

I've been reading through and can't understand where I'm going wrong. The blue wire in pin 20 locks the car fine however I can't find how to get it to unlock. I'm assuming it's the same wire and that instead of a full negative pulse it is reduced to 1.5 (I may be wrong but that's what I've gathered from probing.)

I've tried with a resistor but can't get it to unlock. any ideas?

any help would be much appreciated.

Kyle

0 0 0

10. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Hello Kyle.

What value of resistor are you using? Each locking circuit needs a different resistance. To unlock by connecting to the interior locking button you use a 1,000 (1K) Ohm resistor and to unlock by connecting to the actuator circuit you need a 180~200 Ohm resistor. The info is all there in the posts above.

If you originally had it working wired up to the interior switch you'd have to change the resistor to make it work from the actuator circuit. If you have some of the 1000 Ohm resistors left over from when you originally wired it up, you can connect 5 of them in parallel to get the 200 Ohms you need to operate the actuator circuit. That'll save you a trip back to Maplin or wherever.

Jim.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast