Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    No, you wont get any warning lights or anything like that if you disconnect/cut wires as long as you reconnect them.
    It will record an intermittant/sporadic trouble code in the control unit memory, but that will erase itself after a while if the fault doesn't reappear which it wont once everything is reconnected.

0 0 0

2. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've put all this in as described (with the 3 grounds all going to the same point) and it locks and unlocks the car fine, but this won't arm what I presume is the alarm or some other security thing (the little red light on the driver door which flashes when locked). Also, when locked using the fob, the lock icon on the driver door is lit up, and if I lock it with the key in the door, it can only be unlocked this way, not by using the remote fob.
    Any ideas?

EDIT: It seems to be doing the same as when you press the lock key on the driver's door, that is it's operating lock funciton when you would still be inside the car remotely, rather than the lock function that happens when you turn the key in the door
    Last edited by 10POLO; 17-08-2014 at 08:38 PM.

0 0 0

3. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Yeah, it will be doing the same as when you press the lock button on the driver's door because it was the wire from that button that you tapped into.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah right cool, I don't suppose it's possible to tap into the wire from the key operated door look, or is there lot's of security issues surrounding that?
    I'm only worried about the security system not being armed, and the possibility of the light draining the battery if left for a while

0 0 0

5. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    I've fitted a couple of those locking kits and I've never noticed that the light on the switch stays on. I never noticed that the security light didn't operate either and none of my customers ever complained. I'm sure theirs must have worked just like yours and they've just not noticed.

If your car didn't have remote keys, it wont have an alarm system, so I wouldn't worry too much about that but it would be nice to make the LED work anyway.

There are 3 switches inside the drivers door central locking actuator and the circuit diagram doesn't tell me what they do. An educated guess would be that the lock/unlock control wire would be a green/yellow wire on pin 20 of the connector in the 'A' post. I think you are currently connected to the brown/green wire at pin 11. I'd try probing pin 20 with a test lamp first and see if you hear the door locks activate. If not, latch over the drivers door latch so the ECU thinks the door is closed, then lock the doors using the key. Now try probing pin 20 again and see if the doors unlock. If they do, then swap the wire from your remote locking box from pin 11 to pin 20.

Please let me know how you get on for my own future reference. I'll need to be more observant when fitting those kits in the future.

Regards.

jim.

6R_Polo_DoorWiring.jpg

0 0 0

6. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to sound like a bit of a noob, but how do I "probe" the pin with a test lamp, what would I put the lamp across? Been a long day at work and my brain is a little slow...
    I'll get on with it at some point tomorrow probably, so I'll let you know what happens

As a side note, when I was driving earlier, I started showing the locking to a passenger and how it was the same as pressing the button. I was indicating at the time, and after a while, it presumably messed up the ECU, as it gave a warning light as if one of the indicators was broken and there was a short, as the indicators were flashing twice as fast. We stopped and got out and all the indicators were fine, despite what the dash was saying. After I turned the engine off and on though, it went away and everything was as normal

0 0 1

7. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    The fault with the indicators is most likely a separate issue from your door locking. There is a VW tech bulletin about that fault. There is a software update to fix that fault.

To probe the pin with a test light, you connect one side of the lamp to the vehicle body (ground) and touch the other side of the lamp onto pin 20 of the connector in the A pillar.
    All your doing is grounding the wire on pin 20 to see if it operates the locking. It's just a bit safer to do it with a test light rather than connect a wire directly to ground.
    The bulb limits the amount of current that is able to flow, so if you touch the wrong wire the worst that will happen is the bulb will light up.

0 0 0

8. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah of course, because it's negative earth, when the pin gets grounded the locks will operate, silly me.

That's interesting, I thought it was something to do with the indicators being operating by the control box, as I'd set them off whilst I was already indicating. Anyway, I'll check out pin 20 tomorrow and let you know what happens

0 0 0

9. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10POLO View Post
    Ah of course, because it's negative earth, when the pin gets grounded the locks will operate, silly me.
    Spot on!

Just remember, if you try it with the doors unlocked and nothing happens, redo it again with the doors locked as described in my post above.

0 0 0

10. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, I've attached the locking wire onto pin 20, but now there is some rather strange behaviour. Mostly when I press the buttons on the fob, nothing happens apart from indicators flashing, but sometimes, when I press the unlock button, the door locks will lock and then can't be unlocked using the fob, so I have to put the key in the door. The locks would activate when I probed the pin fine, so what I'm thinking is that pin 20 may be just for unlock, or there's some issue regarding the signal from the control box and the resistor

0 0 0

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast