Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Alternator Removal: It Just Won't Budge: Help!

1. Alternator Removal: It Just Won't Budge: Help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, I'm doing an Alternator upgrade and am literally stuck at the last hurdle of physically removing the alternator.

Check the pic's below for my set-up (1.6SE BCB '03)

My questions are:

1: I have not put in the 'maintenance position' yet but is the direction of alternator removal TOWARDS the bumper & NOT left or right? Or is it up/down?

2: I have removed on the alternator the two long bolts, the positive to alternator & 8mm small nut to rear of alternator so is there ANY other things holding this on?

3: If I need to pry it out where to put the crow/pry-bar? See pic for idea of to the rear of alternator near the engine?

4: Just how the flip do I get this out as when I pull left/right/up/down the whole engine moves!!!

I have followed my Haynes (not very helpful for last stage) and read several forum posts on this so this is testing my manhood/want to replace the alternator so let me know what works before I give up / contemplate paying the *********** £200 just to remove the heavy little frigger!

0 0 0

2. Re: Alternator Removal: It Just Won't Budge: Help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    As far as i know the altenator is tightened by the long bolts pulling movable steel bushes which are on opposite side of bracket.
    These bushes may need to be pushed in a fraction to loosen altenator.
    Try refitting bolts in part way and tap with soft hammer
    Take care, unit may drop suddenly.
    My info info is based on old Audi 80 so it may be different but worth a try

0 0 0

3. Re: Alternator Removal: It Just Won't Budge: Help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply Michael.

Ok, get what you mean re bushes but when you say 'tap with a soft hammer' do you mean tapping the bolts or the alternator itself?

0 0 0

4. Re: Alternator Removal: It Just Won't Budge: Help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I think it should work by tapping the bolts, but have a look at the bushes, it will probably be obvious then what it takes to free the pinching action.
    From memory the bushes are a tight slide fit in the altenator end bracket.
    The problem I had was when refitting. the bracket was too tight so I moved the bushes a fraction to loosen same. I used a vice for this.

0 0 0

5. Re: Alternator Removal: It Just Won't Budge: Help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After a long time I came back to this problem for a second go, got my pry-bar out and managed to move in 1/2 an inch or so and am now faced with this problem...

It looks like from the pictures that the Power Steering thin metal pipe is just in the way so my question is; can I undo the nut at the top (see Pic) of the Power Steering and move the bar out the way?

Is this pipe under pressure i.e. do I need to de-pressurise elsewhere or just catch the fluid that may come out?

Other forums are talking about removing the air con compressed below the alternator so is this the better route?

2003 1.6 BCB (important info as most pics in Haynes manuals look like pre 2002)

0 0 0

6. Re: Alternator Removal: It Just Won't Budge: Help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    You don't need to remove the A/C compressor completely. Just remove the mounting bolts & tie up the compressor towards the LHS of the car. The previous post about tapping the end of the Alt. bolts to move the clamp bushes is quite correct. Moving the P.S. pump out of the way is also helpful.
    There is not a lot of a clearance with radiator but it is possible to lower alt. down and away . - Not a job I would like to repeat again !.
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0

7. Re: Alternator Removal: It Just Won't Budge: Help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    8 Year Bump & Second Major Go; now help needed with one particular bolt removal:

Said was gonna run it until the wheels came off (nearly did but that is another storey!) so now the alternator has died so am in process of removal to replace. Read extensively and not going for putting in Service position but most say to take X/Y/Z out first then get to the Alternator which is where I'm now stuck at a very interesting unique nut & bolt so gonna need bit of help ESPECIALLY if you have done on the exact same model as this throws up something I've never had to deal with in my experience...

Ok, way to alternator is basically Air Con Compressor shift from its position (not removal as would need to de-gas the air con) then via bit of wobbling it about for access to alternator out, new one in.

From pics below; a/c compressor held in with 2 long bolts; lower LHS is simple 16mm, upper is "Double Stud with Hexagon Drive : M10x115 / M8x15" VAG part №: N90633802. The second smaller nut that is on top of this bolt is the M8x15mm BUT is listed as "Shouldered Hex Nut, Self Locking" VAG part №: N02300313 and as you can see it becoming burred in my attempts to remove.

So, million dollar question; no, aint going in other way and need to remove as a/c compressor is faulty so will be replacing at some future point. Researched extensively 'stuck nuts' & 'removing self-locking nuts' but at the moment nothing obvious. As far as can tell, this isn't a nylon self lock nut so can't burn the plastic out but think it's a tight end threaded lock nut which self locks when initially tightened.

Have put some SeaFoam Deep Creep nut releasing spray on BUT think what am really dealing with is a LOCKED locking nut which will need to replace when putting it all back together. Haynes is no help and nothing in Bentleys on this specific type nut+bolt removal. These types of bolt are getting rarer so just cutting it off is not a viable solution but just how the FRIG do I get this off?!!!

Single word answers or saying why bother / sell the car please keep to yerself - honest answers / advice and if yer done it with this specific nut then let me know as attacking with a long extended wrench think is only going to fracture the nut/bolt/frame.

BTW can't get to the 16mm headed nut below this due to this top nut restricting access and the thing it holds (Power-steering line metal frame has to come off otherwise the 16mm bolt won't be able to be undone!

Hive VW Mk4 Mind your help is needed...��

VWGolfMk4ACNut Pic1.jpgVWGolfMk413mmNut Pic2.jpgVWGolfMk4LongBolt Pic3.jpgVWGolfMk4LongBolt Pic4.jpgVWGolfMk4SelfLockNut Pic5.jpgVWGolfMk4SelfLockingNuts Pic6.jpgVWGolfMk4SeaFoaDeepCreepSpray Pic7.jpg

0 0 0