1. A3 1.9 TDi SE 2002 blowing cold air but with a normal 90c running temp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all I`m new to the forum so hope some one can help my daughter has just bought herself this A3 complete with this cooling system problem when up to normal running temp of 90c it runs fine but the heater is constantly blowing cold air she drove it 60 miles to college this morning and said it crept just over 90c a couple of times but went back to normal quick enough if you feel the top hose when its been running and warmed up it is very hot but bottom hose is cold I have a radiator spare that can go in it as someone said they thought it could be a blocked rad but after reading round and talking to a friend I`m thinking that it could be the stat or temp sender unit these would be easier options than taking the whole front of the car lol. There is 1 other strange problem and that is the fuel gauge goes the wrong way it shows empty when full and seems to go up when going down any help with either or both of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Re: A3 1.9 TDi SE 2002 blowing cold air but with a normal 90c running temp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do you mean blowing cold air from the air con vents?

If it's getting up to 90 degrees but not blowing hot air, then I'd suspect that the air con has a fault, or that the heater matrix is blocked / has an air lock.

If the radiator was blocked, I'd expect the engine to overheat, but the heater should still work. (actually in this weather, the engine probably wouldn't overheat)

Are you able to scan the a/c system with vagcom? there might be a flap motor failed / stuck which is stopping the hot air. You could also try bleeding any air out of the cooling system.

not sure about the fuel gauge - could someone have replaced the sender unit with the wrong one? Again, vagcom would help with a scan on the instrument panel, and output tests to make the panel move the gauge from empty to full.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8

0 0 0

3. Re: A3 1.9 TDi SE 2002 blowing cold air but with a normal 90c running temp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    remove the small pipe from the top of the header tank. start the car up and you should get a good flow of water from it. if not, you need a new water pump.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

4. Re: A3 1.9 TDi SE 2002 blowing cold air but with a normal 90c running temp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the quick reply`s guys i`ve
    got a hand held vag reader i`ll see what that throws up when she`s back from college on Friday cheers.

0 0 0

5. Re: A3 1.9 TDi SE 2002 blowing cold air but with a normal 90c running temp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just a quick update talked to my daughter on phone this evening and she informs me that when sitting idling the temp drops back to 70ish dont know if this makes any difference cheers.

0 0 0

6. Re: A3 1.9 TDi SE 2002 blowing cold air but with a normal 90c running temp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by delboy59 View Post
    just a quick update talked to my daughter on phone this evening and she informs me that when sitting idling the temp drops back to 70ish dont know if this makes any difference cheers.
    Sounds like the stat has failed open.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

7. Re: A3 1.9 TDi SE 2002 blowing cold air but with a normal 90c running temp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with Kite. My Passat 1.9 tdi also drops to about 70 when idling, and only reaches 80 when driving, (I just haven't got around to changing the stat yet), although I do still get heat out of the blowers.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI

0 0 0

8. Re: A3 1.9 TDi SE 2002 blowing cold air but with a normal 90c running temp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Heres an update shes back from college and informs me that on the way down it took about 30 miles but then it did start to blow hot air and on the way back got to temp and was blowing hot air all the way back in fact with the heating on full she had to open the windows (she didn't like to turn it down just in case it over heated lol ) so I took the readings and here it is Number 1. 18080 coolant fan control 1. open or short to ground P1672 , Number 2. 00532 Transmission control module relay supply voltage (B+) malfunction low battery or bad ground supply voltage (B+) supply voltage B+ , Number 3, 00668 Battery power voltage supply ( terminal 30 ) or supply voltage terminal 30. I think maybe it could be a bad battery as it was a second hand one but any more help would be greatly appreciated thanks. sorry forgot to say it only dropped back a tiny bit not to 70 when idling or going along without accelerator.

0 0 0

9. Re: A3 1.9 TDi SE 2002 blowing cold air but with a normal 90c running temp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    clear those codes and see if any come back, but the reason for underheating is most likely to to be a failed thermostat.

I think they're fairly easy to replace on the 1.9 - you might have to remove the alternator to get to it.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI

0 0 0

10. Re: A3 1.9 TDi SE 2002 blowing cold air but with a normal 90c running temp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with others definatley a thermostat, replaced mine a few months ago a bit fiddly on the 1.8tm a bit easier to do on the 1.9tdi though I think.When running properly the temp gauge should stay at about 90 when driving.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast