1. Failed emissions :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder if someone could help my Audi 1993 2.3 5 cylinder audi has just failed the mot due to the emissions being to high.
    the car gets very little use and it had a new cat fitted 4000 mile ago
    here is the mot failure since then the emissions have come down a bit as the garage put some cat cleaner in but I've been told its not quite enough.
    Attached Images

0 0 0

2. Re: Failed emissions :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can I suggest an Italian Tune-up with some Shell V Power?? It may be all that's required, especially as you don't use it much.
    Nothing to see here, move along..

2 2 0

3. Re: Failed emissions :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    i would second that suggestion.
    if you are not quite sure what we mean, just drive it flat out, you don't need to break any speed limits, just drive it hard and fast through the gears making sure you hit the red line in 1st 2nd and probably3rd as well. do this for 1/2 an hour or so then get the test done immediately after, like have the mot tester stood there waiting for you.
    hex's point about the fuel is a good one as well, since the petrol may be a bit stale, so if its been in the tank 6 months best to gt rid of it first and refill with fresh.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 0 0

4. Re: Failed emissions :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If your car has a Mass Air Flow sensor (did they fit them in 1993?) it would be worth cleaning it.

and get some more fuel system cleaner in it. Some go for Millers Sport or Redex, but I have got good results from BG244 in diesel engines and BG44K in petrol engines. You have to pour the can into the fuel tank when it's nearly empty, then fill up immediately, then try and make the tankful last at least a week, to give it time to work. When it's half empty, fill up again and try to make the tankful last another week.

The only problem is, if it's failed the MOT, you can't really drive around for 2 weeks before the next test.

But it's good stuff. It's made this petrol motor and my last diesel motor much smoother and quieter, so it is clearly cleaning up the injectors etc.

Good luck!
    12-plate Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 TFSi S-tronic Sportback in Ice Silver with DVD Sat Nav, Bose sound system, xenon headlights, Bluetooth, voice control, heated full leather seats, full electric driver's seat adjustment, privacy glass, heated auto dimming power-folding mirrors, titanium grey Rotor-style alloys, auto lights & wipers, and tyre pressure monitoring.

0 0 0

5. Re: Failed emissions :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    If it is a 10 valve it is the KE-Motroinc system which is electronically controlled mechanical continuous injection, they have a mechanical air flow plate that operates a plunger inside the metering head. These engines are notoriously hard to set up and unless the person working on it knows EXACTLY what they are doing and has the correct Audi Differential Pressure Regulator break out harness needing to measure the current consumption, then do not let them tough the mixture adjustment screw. Looking at the figures the set up looks pretty close as the lambda figure is good so a good thrashing may make the cat fire up but aftermarket cats are rubbish and you may have to fit another, and another and another.....but a genuine cat is a bit evil at nearly £500. If you have to fit another and can't afford genuine, try and get one from HJS, their part number 90 11 5005 http://www.hjs.com/en/253/0/seite_1/...ritannien.html
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 2 0

6. Re: Failed emissions :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Our convertible has had it's MOT again and it passed with no problems, but it was touch and go with the emissions. They had to run the car for a while. I'm thinking about getting this done Welcome to TerraClean. It's supposed to help co2 and performance.
    (N) 2.6 V6 Audi Convertible Europa Blue
    (14) E350 AMG Sport Estate Obsidian Black
    Gone: (59) 2.0T A4 S-Line Avant (B8) Lava Grey
    (02) 1.8T A4 sport saloon (B6) Denim Blue

0 0 0

7. Re: Failed emissions :( 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I managed to get through the emissions in the end.
    i had to buy a new cat for my car in the end the previous cat had only been on the car for 2 years and 4000 miles so I made the mistake of buying another cheap £100 cat.

This time I had it fitted at the local tyre exhaust centre only for them to notice on start up that half the welds were missing, and was blowing terrible so I had to take it to the local engineering company over the road to get it welded up.

i informed the company who supplied the cat and had taken pictures but the supplier Catman wouldn't honour the guarantee.

So the moral of the story is dont buy a cheap cat off Catman http://www.catalyticuk.co.uk/ he also advertises on the parts gateway beware.

So it looks like I will be buying another one come next mot

0 0 0