Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

I've been away working on other stuff and only got back driving the golf about a month ago. I filled it up about 3 weeks ago as the coolant low light came on. The coolant was right at the bottom of the header tank. Same thing happened again today... bing bing bing bing...... low coolant. Filled it up again this morning and all seems ok at the moment. I have a very slow leak it would seem.

I have put the pressure tester on it this evening and will leave it overnight and see what happens but I reckon the water pump as highlighted all over the internet.

Now I am not familiar with these things. I have only literally lifted the bonnet 5 times since owning it

Where is the water pump driven off? Cambelt, aux belt or shaft from engine?

Anyone got the replacement procedure? I am used to Land Rovers not these bloody things. All lovely when working but when they go wrong - they're a pain

Any help would be gratefully recvd!!
    mk6 Golf. Graphite Blue. 1.6 TDI. All Factory Standard. Less Than 30,000 Miles.

0 0 0

2. Re: Water Pump on a 1.6tdi mk6 Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew2riches View Post
    Hi all,

I've been away working on other stuff and only got back driving the golf about a month ago. I filled it up about 3 weeks ago as the coolant low light came on. The coolant was right at the bottom of the header tank. Same thing happened again today... bing bing bing bing...... low coolant. Filled it up again this morning and all seems ok at the moment. I have a very slow leak it would seem.

I have put the pressure tester on it this evening and will leave it overnight and see what happens but I reckon the water pump as highlighted all over the internet.

Now I am not familiar with these things. I have only literally lifted the bonnet 5 times since owning it

Where is the water pump driven off? Cambelt, aux belt or shaft from engine?

Anyone got the replacement procedure? I am used to Land Rovers not these bloody things. All lovely when working but when they go wrong - they're a pain

Any help would be gratefully recvd!!
    If it is a slow leak then it is worth getting diagnosed correctly - EGR coolers are quite common on TDi's. If its under 5 yrs then you could get goodwill from VW.
    Had MKV GTI, Now Ford Falcon

0 0 0

3. Re: Water Pump on a 1.6tdi mk6 Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

I have pressure tested it myself and with the engine tray removed can see all dried up antifreeze remains down the side of the oil sump below the water pump. Also the padded bit of cloth that goes over the oil sump was soaked!

We were literally talking dribbles but as 4 years they "say" is the recommended cambelt change interval I took it to the ******* for a cambelt, tensioners, rollers and water pump. A little bit of self diagnosis I suppose saved me being strung along

I hope that is all it was

0 0 0

4. Re: Water Pump on a 1.6tdi mk6 Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Back from the dealer just now and hopefully we are all sorted. £469 all in Water pump, timing kit, coolant, labour and a courtesy car for 3 days.

0 0 0

5. Re: Water Pump on a 1.6tdi mk6 Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    BORING ALERT! Bit of an update. After mention of goodwill when I took the car to Barnards Volkswagen in Stowmarket, Suffolk I was told they would look into it. When I collected the car I was given an invoice so paid that off and said nothing about the goodwill. They seemed more interested in their hire car and getting my payment than answering a few red herring questions I was throwing out there. So I didn't say anything as they may have still been "investigating" it. You know, these things can take some time right? They said they'd contact Volkswagen to establish the goodwill.

Now, I got fed up the other day about the fact of them still not coming back to me, obviously they just wanted their cash £469 and then me out the building as quickly as possible (I knew that anyway but decided not to kick up a fuss and let them "investigate"). I called Volkswagen directly and the poor customer service rep got a pasting and the complaint ended up with CR who would call me back. Every time now I have had to call them and the person has "always been out of the office" so I made then re-assign the case and things finally started to move!

All of a sudden out of the blue I got a call from the dealer. Mr Riches, we'd love to offer you the refund of 50% of the waterpump & labour cost to fit it......... errrrrr....... that's not good enough I replied and I'll have a chat with VW directly as the case is being handled with them. Their response was OH! I will speak with our service manager and call you back on monday if that's ok before you call VW.

This is just a game between different departments as far as I am concerned. Both parties not willing to be of massive help I thought buying into a brand like VW was the way to go. All too happy to shove tea and cans of coke down your throat while buying but when you need SERVICE!?! What's that??

I will wait for the call on Monday and then see what happens. As far as I am concerned I am happy to pay for the cambelt and labour cost for it but the waterpump is not my issue, that is a failed part at about 30k and the water pump goes - that is not acceptable.

I'll report back.

0 1 0