Notices

User Tag List

Thread: No ISOFIX Top Tether (also known as Universal ISOFIX) in 2012 Audi A6 Avant?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. No ISOFIX Top Tether (also known as Universal ISOFIX) in 2012 Audi A6 Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just bought a new car seat for the boy and went to fit in my 2012 Audi A6 Avant. ISOFIX, I thought, completely standard.

No.

Apparently it needs a Top Tether as well as the two normal ISOFIX seat tethers - which the baby seat we have doesn't need, as that has a floor brace - and my top of the range Audi A6, bought for the fact that it's a big family car, doesn't have this bracket! To say I'm disappointed and frustrated is an understatement.

Looking in the manual it appears to be an option, but no info at all about this on the Audi website.

Anyone else got any experience of this? Am I missing something, or am I going to be returning the seat??

I'd be very, very surprised that this car doesn't have full ISOFIX compatibility.

(also posted in the car seats section, but thought it was more model-specific)

0 0 0

2. Re: No ISOFIX Top Tether (also known as Universal ISOFIX) in 2012 Audi A6 Avant? 
    Wuffles Guest
    Made me a do a double take there. I've never heard of that before but it appears to be a legit thing. How odd. I'll check mine tomorrow in the light if it's any use, 2012 model too, but don't think we have any extras regarding ISOFIX installed.

Would have been good to ditch the annoying leg on the baby seat, always makes me feel like I'm going to nick the leather when sliding it around the seat to put it in.

0 0 0

3. Re: No ISOFIX Top Tether (also known as Universal ISOFIX) in 2012 Audi A6 Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Very annoying that it seems to be an incomplete implementation of the system. Although I'd never heard of this third tether point until getting this new seat; like I said, the baby seat we had before had the leg brace. This one has no other option - no floor brace and no option to use the seatbelt (unless the belt is used to actually secure the child - and ours is too small currently).

It even explicitly says in the instructions not to use the seat without the top tether

Would be grateful if you had a look, but suspect yours will be the same... I'm pretty sure though that my 04 A3 and 08 Alfa 159 didn't have this third tether either, but am just very surprised / disappointed that such a family orientated car doesn't have it.

0 0 0

4. Re: No ISOFIX Top Tether (also known as Universal ISOFIX) in 2012 Audi A6 Avant? 
    Wuffles Guest
    Nothing obvious, unless it's hidden behind the cartridge for the load roller...too cold to take that out until I've had a few cuppas.

We run a 12 year old 147 that doesn't have ISOFIX at all, but then you'd expect that. I'll join you in your disappointment about the A6's lack of full implementation as that's just plain weird.

Obviously you've seen this on the website:
    Child safety as standard

With ISOFIX, compatible child safety seats can be fitted swiftly and securely in the A6 Avant. On each outer rear seat and the front passenger seat, ISOFIX mounting points are provided. The front passenger airbag can be deactivated for when a child seat is present.
    ISOFIX mountings are standard across the Audi A6 Avant range.

Expect that to enjoy an asterisk once this has been brought up with someone who cares - from experience, good luck with that.

0 0 0

5. Re: No ISOFIX Top Tether (also known as Universal ISOFIX) in 2012 Audi A6 Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuffles View Post
    Nothing obvious, unless it's hidden behind the cartridge for the load roller...too cold to take that out until I've had a few cuppas.
    Not there - had a look myself yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuffles View Post
    Obviously you've seen this on the website:
    Child safety as standard

With ISOFIX, compatible child safety seats can be fitted swiftly and securely in the A6 Avant. On each outer rear seat and the front passenger seat, ISOFIX mounting points are provided. The front passenger airbag can be deactivated for when a child seat is present.
    ISOFIX mountings are standard across the Audi A6 Avant range.

Expect that to enjoy an asterisk once this has been brought up with someone who cares - from experience, good luck with that.
    Yes, seen that. No mention that Universal ISOFIX is not implemented / supported, or even an option to add a top tether from what I can see.

Time to give them a call I think and see if the dealer has any clue!

0 0 0

6. Re: No ISOFIX Top Tether (also known as Universal ISOFIX) in 2012 Audi A6 Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    It seems that as with all the best Standards there are a number of versions!! Universal ISOFIX has the third fixing point whilst semi-universal and vehicle specific do not. More info here Can I use ISOFIX? || Universal or Semi-universal? || IsofixShop.co.uk. In the US A6s come with Universal ISOFIX but I think that is probably due to local legal requirements rather than Audi policy. I guess the question to the dealer is whether the top tether anchor point can be fitted to the rear seats

0 0 0

7. Re: No ISOFIX Top Tether (also known as Universal ISOFIX) in 2012 Audi A6 Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What seat is it out of interest?

There is a guy on another forum I use who is quite senior at Britax if that could be of any help? I can ask him for a contact address etc.

0 0 0

8. Re: No ISOFIX Top Tether (also known as Universal ISOFIX) in 2012 Audi A6 Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, spoke to the dealer and guess what - he'd never even heard of Universal ISOFIX or a top tether - it was the first time anyone's raised it with them apparently! Having then gone away to speak to their parts and service department they claim it's a "new" standard of ISOFIX that isn't standard on Audis yet, and there's no ability to retrofit a part. He said he'd let me know if he found anything else out, but I suspect that's the last I've heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimcox View Post
    It seems that as with all the best Standards there are a number of versions!! Universal ISOFIX has the third fixing point whilst semi-universal and vehicle specific do not. More info here Can I use ISOFIX? || Universal or Semi-universal? || IsofixShop.co.uk. In the US A6s come with Universal ISOFIX but I think that is probably due to local legal requirements rather than Audi policy. I guess the question to the dealer is whether the top tether anchor point can be fitted to the rear seats
    Thanks for this. Interestingly, that site says:
    All new cars introduced since early 2006 have been required by law to be fitted with ‘Universal’ ISOFIX anchorages for a minimum of two seating positions
    however I would very much doubt this is the case if a 2012 Audi A6 doesn't have it as standard... Plus I'm certain my last car (an 08 Alfa 159 SW) didn't have a third anchorage point either. And it is a UK website looking at the URL.

Quote Originally Posted by 5678
    What seat is it out of interest?
    It's a Pampero Comfitrip - think it's a Halfords own brand job to be honest, but it's had very good reviews. It was just as a second seat to save me dragging the Maxi Cosi out of my wife's A3 every time I need to take him in my car - and it seems to be the only category 1/2/3 ISOFIX seat available - all the others (such as the Britax Evolver) are seatbelt only. It's a shame because he's not quite big enough for a category 2 seat yet, so that seat was perfect - and I really just wanted to clip the seat in and have done with it, save faffing with the seatbelt.

Oh well, looks like I'll just have to compromise!

0 0 0

9. Re: No ISOFIX Top Tether (also known as Universal ISOFIX) in 2012 Audi A6 Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have a look at:
    concord transformer pro isofix
    cybex pallas 2 fix

they are both in the 1/2/3 group(s)
    And both have ISOFIX

Unless what you meant is you wanted to have ISOFIX and also a 5-point safety harness (i.e., a seatbelt system built into the child seat itself)

0 0 0

10. Re: No ISOFIX Top Tether (also known as Universal ISOFIX) in 2012 Audi A6 Avant? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To throw something into the mix are you aware of "extended rear facing" car seats?

And the additional safety of keeping children rear facing?

I've bought an a6 c6 for the same reasons I.e. big family car and have also bought a rear facing car seat that goes from maxi cosi cabriofix up until Little one is 6!! So group 1/2/3 covered.

I think I'll just start a whole topic on the subject to raise awareness....
    Audi A6 C6/4F 3.0 V6 TDI Quattro S-line - BMK

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast