Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Audi A6 4F C6 V6 2.7 3.0 TDi Buyers Checklist ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Lightbulb Audi A6 4F C6 V6 2.7 3.0 TDi Buyers Checklist .... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi fellow members ...

Since joining many a time the discussion of I wish to buy a 2.7 / 3.0 TDi has come up and I feel the early ones people really need to check thoroughly as they will be so enticing on the used market but when the problems occur you will be ...

As many of you will know I'm the proud owner of Zesty the A6... ...

This will be collection of observations I have made throughout my ownership, besides near financial ruin there is the loss of sanity one can experience with the V6! ...

I will also try to create a Lemon-O-Meter rating for each segment to highlight the potential citrus like flavour you may experience ...

Removing engine cover

Engine cover is held on at points marked in red, ease up from appropriate areas, do not be heavy handed as I crack one once ...

The big ones...

Chain rattle... Link:- Post 7

Injectors...

You will find Audi P/N top line on collar 059 130 xxx xx... you will find a date code on injectors which will be back to front... you can see just below Audi P/N 110117 which is 17/01/11, also on the box sticker...

059 130 277 S
    059 130 277 Q DROPPED 01/06/2005
    059 130 277 AA DROPPED 01/06/2006
    059 130 277 AB DROPPED 01/09/2006
    059 130 277 AH DROPPED 01/04/2009
    059 130 277 BD Current part since 09 (these apply to BMK BNG ASB engine codes)

Link:- Injector Tech Doc 1.txt Link:- Injector Tech Doc 2.txt

Ref thread:- A6/C6 injector PROBLEM - Replacement/refurbished injectors possible?

Tiptronic software & oil update (Not applicable to 2.7 with Multitronic/Non quattro)...

So below the gearbox is a plate...

Zoom shot...

1 Serial number of gearbox
    2 Model number
    3 Gearbox designation
    4 Code letters

Next info from my VCDS log... (full version here Link:- ZF 6HP19A tiptronic gearbox (A6 3.0 TDI Quattro) Post 8)

Part No SW: 4F1 910 156 B Revision No SW: 0030 Serial number: 4005962

My gearbox serial number 4005962, besides plate it is in VCDS log blue text...

Next TPI/TSB

Production change

1. Optimised ATF (blue) from February 2005 (gearbox numbers A: 4000597, B:95253).

2. Optimised ATF (green) from March 2008 (gearbox number: A4, A6, A8: 4432890, Q7: 4040037)

Measure

Case A: vehicles before chassis break:

On MY 05 vehicles and earlier (before gearbox number: A:4000597, B:95253) update the software of the gearbox control unit.
    Note: The new ATF needs the software version. Failing to update the software will lead to gearbox damage.

Case B: vehicles after chassis break:

Vehicles after the chassis break have optimised oil and the suitable software version in the gearbox.

My car is "Case B"...
    the serial number of the gearbox places it into this category...

In above both cases G 060 162 A (green) oil is used as update in TPI instructions...

(In parts cat. G 060 162 A2 (green) is £32 per L, G 055 162 A2 (blue) is £32 per L)

But both blue & green are "Optimised ATF"...
    ... then I cross ref'd this older US version of the TPI...

Link:- Chirping, hooting, squeaking noise when shifting between 3-4

It is so similar but for the US petrol cars... extracts below which interested me...

Production Solution

Optimized ATF (Blue) from gearbox numbers 4000597 and 95253

Required Parts and Tools

Part Number Part Description Quantity
    G 055162A2 ATF (blue) 16
    The US TSB have release date of 07 Dec 06...

TPI 2007190/11 have release date of 11 Aug 08...

TPI 2007190/13 have release date of 18 Jan 10... Link:- Russia Audi Forum Post (Use google translate)

So the suggestion of oil ie blue or green depend on TPI age, so my view is that green superseded blue but both blue & green are "Optimised ATF" what was not "Optimised ATF" was whatever was used before that in MY05 (2004)/ gearbox numbers lower than: A:4000597, B:95253...

Now my P/N for gearbox software is correct it is only rev which is low, mine 0030, TPI=0050...
    Now this section is my research that the rev of SW in my gearbox doe not matter...

Case A: vehicles before chassis break:

On MY 05 vehicles and earlier (before gearbox number: A:4000597, B:95253) update the software of the gearbox control unit.

Note: The new ATF needs the software version. Failing to update the software will lead to gearbox
    damage.

1. Update the software of the gearbox control unit (see table under Parts information)
    Now the rev of software is different in table because it is an updated software at time of TPI just like the oils (blue/green)...
    The converter condition can be checked in MVB 007/3 (converter open/ converter control/ converter shut).

More info on video in this post... Link:- A6 3.0 TDI QUATTRO numbers - Page 4

Another good thread to ref... Link:- ZF 6HP19A tiptronic gearbox (A6 3.0 TDI Quattro)

Next general health check...

Plenum chamber & water ingress into passenger compartment...

Engine bay harnesses...

Fuel return system...

Battery...

IMO I would feel any potential buyer must look/ask for information besides an oil service stamp...

I will try to do a section what the manual may suggest on servicing and what an enthusiast/caring owning would possibly do...

It may take me a while to place all media here... so please be patience as construction begins ...
    Last edited by gupsterg; 21-05-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Attachments restored ...

3 3 0

2. Re: Audi A6 4F C6 V6 2.7 3.0 TDi Buyers Checklist .... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

The three big ones...

Chain rattle...

Injectors...

Tiptronic software & oil update...

Crank pulley & aux belt/tensioner...
    ?
    Couldn't resist , sorry Gup!

1 1 1

3. Re: Audi A6 4F C6 V6 2.7 3.0 TDi Buyers Checklist .... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Sorry lack of coffee ... well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

I'm just booking the wife some tickets to the US so I can carry on with the thread! ...

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi A6 4F C6 V6 2.7 3.0 TDi Buyers Checklist .... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    Sorry lack of coffee ... well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
    Hey, I'm worse - with or without coffee!!!

1 1 0

5. Re: Audi A6 4F C6 V6 2.7 3.0 TDi Buyers Checklist .... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Now not an issue but IMO something to consider, from my understanding earlier cars have a different high pressure fuel pump and some common rail components are updated...

As mine is an early one... I will do a similar photo, for now you can see from 2006 they have the later version of common rail and fuel pump...

The later one (above) has updated sensor components on rail (red line), the fuel pump is easily distinguishable by the high pressure pipe connection on top (red box) rather than on its back on which the early ones have, another easy spot to tell difference between the two versions is the high pressure pipes on the injectors will have the same flare nuts on both ends where as the later one has larger flare nuts on the common rail side...

Service guide highlight change over at Oct 2005... so production dates newer than that will have the updated common rail & pump...

2 0 0

6. Re: Audi A6 4F C6 V6 2.7 3.0 TDi Buyers Checklist .... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I will also be diggin up some info on the "Multitronic" which IIRC at a certain production point gained mechanical improvement....

Sorry for slow build up of thread viewers ...

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi A6 4F C6 V6 2.7 3.0 TDi Buyers Checklist .... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is very useful info - thanks for compiling this.

Only problem is for someone like me who can just about get my way round the engine bay - as I have no reference point and its a new engine to me - I won't really know if what I'm seeing is right or wrong.

First thing ill be doing though, like i do all cars I buy, is taking it to my mechanic for a health check and all fluid change.
    Audi A6 C6/4F 3.0 V6 TDI Quattro S-line - BMK

1 0 0

8. Re: Audi A6 4F C6 V6 2.7 3.0 TDi Buyers Checklist .... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Techfreak ,

Quote Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
    Only problem is for someone like me who can just about get my way round the engine bay - as I have no reference point and its a new engine to me - I won't really know if what I'm seeing is right or wrong.
    Thanks for your post/comment... I will add a video/photo of overview of engine bay with markings/insets of the concerned elements...

ATB
    G

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi A6 4F C6 V6 2.7 3.0 TDi Buyers Checklist .... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can you add these to your post gups :

Check all electrics work as they should including:

air con/climate control. Turn econ button off (not illuminated) turn temp down as cold as it will go and you should get ice cold air within a few mins.

Check ESP is working correctly, take it for a drive and press esp button once should say ASR off on dash, press and hold button should tell you ESP is turned off and ESP light should remain illlinated. Other way would be to drive in a way which would activate esp/abs but probably not going to happen on a test drive.

Check for moisture/condensation in rear tail lights. Only really visible if there's been rain over the past few days before viewing. As it stays wet in there for a day or two after.
    Audi A6 C6/4F 3.0 V6 TDI Quattro S-line - BMK

1 0 0

10. Re: Audi A6 4F C6 V6 2.7 3.0 TDi Buyers Checklist .... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
    Can you add these to your post gups :

Check all electrics work as they should including:

air con/climate control. Turn econ button off (not illuminated) turn temp down as cold as it will go and you should get ice cold air within a few mins.

Check ESP is working correctly, take it for a drive and press esp button once should say ASR off on dash, press and hold button should tell you ESP is turned off and ESP light should remain illlinated. Other way would be to drive in a way which would activate esp/abs but probably not going to happen on a test drive.

Check for moisture/condensation in rear tail lights. Only really visible if there's been rain over the past few days before viewing. As it stays wet in there for a day or two after.
    If I ever get the final pictures (hint hint to anyone reading this) that I need for ATTN! A6 c6 owners - help me to help you!!

I will add your points to the final document if I get the above

1 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast