1. A4 B6 1.8T Quattro Avant - Alternator Tensioner Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    few weeks back the car started making a really loud rattling noise and also became very loud when driving (at least to me in the car), at first I thought it was the exhaust that had slipped having hit one of the many Pot Holes around the roads of Edinburgh these days.

Took the car in to a Local Garage that I use to get them to check it out, at first he couldnt find what the issue was, exhaust etc was all fine. He did however think it might be related to the Alternator Belt Tensioner Pulley. But wasnt 100% sure but worth a try, he advised would be worth trying to get the pulley 2nd hand to save some costs. I cant find the part number which is my issue. Since then I have still been using the car and the noise has gone apart from when turning right at 1/2 to full lock which having read a few of the forums all point back to this tensioner belt pulley issue that appears to be a regular thing (branches of TPS selling dozens each week).

I have done the usual searches on ebay for the part but there seems to be a few possible options. So advise and guidance time,

• Does the above issue sound like it is related to the tensioner pulley?
    • Can you buy just a replacement Pulley or do I need a full alternator belt tensioner assembly?
    • Can someone point me in the right direction of the part required or a part number (any idea of price) and as such is it worth trying to get it 2nd hand or just go to TPS?

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 B6 1.8T Quattro Avant - Alternator Tensioner Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    CAR PARTS from Mister Auto - Your Parts at discount prices have a gates tensioner for less than £50.00 you could also try GSF Car Parts | Discount Car Parts & Cheap Car Spares Because of the amount of work needed to replace the tensioner and it's low price a 2nd hand one would be a false economy

1 0 0

3. Re: A4 B6 1.8T Quattro Avant - Alternator Tensioner Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply, so guessing its that unit there that I would be needing, (sorry I am pretty useless when it comes to cars) Tensioner Pulley, v-ribbed belt SKF - VKM 31006 for your car lowest prices - Engine compartment - Distribution/Bearings - Tensioner Pulley, v-ribbed belt - Tensioner Pulley, v-ribbed belt - VKM 31006

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 B6 1.8T Quattro Avant - Alternator Tensioner Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's the right tensioner I don't know the SKF brand they seem to be a large esablished company, Zollaf or Crasher would be the guys to ask. Gates parts I know and trust

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 B6 1.8T Quattro Avant - Alternator Tensioner Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    It will be the alternator pulley one way clutch that has seized up, not the tensioner. £80 ish from TPS, you will need a special tool to remove and refit.

1 0 0

6. Re: A4 B6 1.8T Quattro Avant - Alternator Tensioner Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What ^ said,

fairly common issue, sound terrible when the seize up rattling.

Done a fair few at work as well as my wife's bettle

1 0 0

7. Re: A4 B6 1.8T Quattro Avant - Alternator Tensioner Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers guys, how do I tell which alternator pulley is needed, for example the site that Doctle Odd linked 2 has 5 different pulleys, assuming all for slightly different setups?

0 0 0

8. Re: A4 B6 1.8T Quattro Avant - Alternator Tensioner Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just different manufacturers on the site, Only 2 set-ups aircon and non aircon.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvoodoo View Post
    Cheers guys, how do I tell which alternator pulley is needed, for example the site that Doctle Odd linked 2 has 5 different pulleys, assuming all for slightly different setups?

0 0 0

9. Re: A4 B6 1.8T Quattro Avant - Alternator Tensioner Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctle Odd View Post
    Just different manufacturers on the site, Only 2 set-ups aircon and non aircon.
    Yea thats what has confused me as there is 5 in total, 3 are one manufactuere and 2 another. where I had read there would be 2 options one with a/c and one with out.

0 0 0

10. Re: A4 B6 1.8T Quattro Avant - Alternator Tensioner Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think there will be a price difference, there's a little chart showing the OEM part numbers under each item. I suppose consumable parts are like tyres and batteries it's all down to personal preference mine is Gates

0 0 0