1. Re: 2002 Polo 1.4 TDi alternator charging fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There isn't, no. If I energise the alternator from the battery directly then I get 14.5V at the battery or alternator terminals.

I've had the cluster out and I know there is continuity on the blue wire from alternator to cluster plug and it's an LED not a bulb in the cluster. I'm a bit stuck here as it must be a cluster fault but I'm guessing I won't be ale to fix it myself. Has anybody had any luck with these cluster repair companies?

0 0 0

2. Re: 2002 Polo 1.4 TDi alternator charging fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you looked at the earth strap from the battery to the body ? I have had previous problems due to this.
    Had MKV GTI, Now Ford Falcon

0 0 0

3. Re: 2002 Polo 1.4 TDi alternator charging fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rock solid and perfect connection. The problem is in the dash, I'm 100% certain, I just need to know if there is anything I can do about it?

0 0 0

4. Re: 2002 Polo 1.4 TDi alternator charging fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll post the solution here in case anyone else has similar problems. I found the cause to be a broken wire in the end, broken off at the plug which is located on a bracket under the front of the car right next to the radiator drain tap. It had broken off in such a way that it still gave continuity but obviously couldn't carry enough current to energise the alternator. Worse still it had been repaired before and was covered in a swathe of yellow insulation tape!

I managed to take the plug apart and solder a new wire in to it keeping th factory weather seals then resoldered the new wire in further up and covered with heat shrink and amalgamating tape.

Plus an aside to this, due to taking out the instrument cluster a few times to check the connectors for continuity, the last time I put the cluster back in I found I had a loose connection somewhere as the power kept failing to it. I stripped the cluster down and found that the solders for the smaller of the two connectors had gone dry and lifted from the PCB. I reflowed these and now it's working fine.

Just a couple of strange things now; the airbag light is on and the drivers window will no longer auto up or down. The passenger side works fine though. I also noticed that although the passenger side electric mirror works fine, when adjusting the drivers mirror they both move. I have a friend with an Octavia and he reckons his car does this too and it's normal?

Any ideas?

0 2 0

5. Re: 2002 Polo 1.4 TDi alternator charging fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there, I dont know if you will receive this or not but you have just saved me hours of grief and i have the exact same problem. Legend for posting the answer.

0 0 0

6. Re: 2002 Polo 1.4 TDi alternator charging fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    ... thanks for posting - very useful to anyone trying to fix a similar issue

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12