1. Re: Rattle when air con turned off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Use a small screwdriver or pointed-nose pliers, for example, to carefully remove the [COLOR=#009900 !important]circlip[/COLOR] -A-(possibly with vulcanised rubber disc), taking particular care not to damage the pulley.
    Hold compressor [COLOR=#009900 !important]drive shaft[/COLOR] -B- in position for example with [COLOR=#009900 !important]socket wrench[/COLOR] -T10001/10- from wrench set and turn [COLOR=#009900 !important]drive[/COLOR] plate -C- with pulley -D- in direction of arrow -E- (tightening [COLOR=#009900 !important]torque[/COLOR] 35 Nm).
    Note
    There are different types of compressor drive shaft. The [COLOR=#009900 !important]drive shafts[/COLOR] fitted at the start of production cannot be supported using an [COLOR=#009900 !important]Allen key[/COLOR] (use socket wrench -T10001/10- for example). Use was later made of compressors with a hexagon end on the drive shaft.
    eye for an eye means the whole world goes blind

0 0 0

2. Re: Rattle when air con turned off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Finally got my rattling a/c pump sorted, ended up fitting 6 new dampers and a new clutch plate as my original sheared off upon removal. Thanks for your help arman123.

1 0 0

3. Smile Re: Rattle when air con turned off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AliBailey88 View Post
    Finally got my rattling a/c pump sorted, ended up fitting 6 new dampers and a new clutch plate as my original sheared off upon removal. Thanks for your help arman123.

No problem good to hear you got it done it the end

0 0 0

4. Re: Rattle when air con turned off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Rounded off that bloody nut here too. First attempt with 7mm spanner got it moving fine but I had forgotten about just spinning the pulley off and wasn't able to completely screw it off using spanner, all done while mounted on car so start engine to move car and the flaming thing wound itself back with such speed that it's very very tight now. So back at it with same 7mm spanner, no joy, 7mm socket held with vice grips as there no space for a ratchet and somehow rounded off the nut resorted to using vice grips jaws and rounded off even further. Its well stuck as had used plenty of force. In the end I gave up, will see if mechanic who will do my timing belt after summer will have that tool and give it a go, otherwise I'll have to cut the cover off using a dremel and fit new cover with plenty of copper grease. I was so near yet so far, very frustrating . Stuffing a few pieces of bicycle tubing in behind the cover before putting c clip/ring back on seems to have helped a bit.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by BMurr; 22-04-2021 at 06:25 PM.

0 0 0

5. Re: Rattle when air con turned off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    You are only suppose to hole that center nut then use a strap wrench around the pulley and turn the pulley anticlockwise.

0 0 0

6. Re: Rattle when air con turned off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Indeed, that's what I did on second attempt but also with a length of old belt wrapped around pulley to give grip. On first attempt was so loose it turned with just friction of the fitted belt holding the pulley in place.

0 0 0

7. Re: Rattle when air con turned off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I have a 53 plate 130 b6 avant.

1) Does a rattling clutch pulley actually present a risk? Ie. Is it likely to say fail and jam aux belt?

I've got this problem but a couple of garages have said basically not to worry as the only thing they can offer is to buy a while new compressor which is overkill.

2) please can anyone provide:
    *the Audi part no for the pulley/clutch
    *Details of where to buy whole pulley and/or clutch mechanism (tried two garages and they can only get me a whole compressor!)
    *Details of where to buy the rubbers? Link in this thread is dead now

Cheers,
    Ian

0 0 0

8. Re: Rattle when air con turned off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianlovatt View Post
    I have a 53 plate 130 b6 avant.

1) Does a rattling clutch pulley actually present a risk? Ie. Is it likely to say fail and jam aux belt?

I've got this problem but a couple of garages have said basically not to worry as the only thing they can offer is to buy a while new compressor which is overkill.

2) please can anyone provide:
    *the Audi part no for the pulley/clutch
    *Details of where to buy whole pulley and/or clutch mechanism (tried two garages and they can only get me a whole compressor!)
    *Details of where to buy the rubbers? Link in this thread is dead now

Cheers,
    Ian

Kit rebuilt AC compressor mercedes audi 6 Rubber Bumper pulley denso 6seu 7seu | eBay

Link for rubbers

As to what will happen if you leave it depends how bad it is the pulley can break off and the belt will come off and probably take out other stuff with it.

If your car has two belts then you could always take the air con belt off but that mean no air con.

Cheapest fix is to replace the rubbers.

Just drop the compressor off it’s mounts and undo the pulley to replace make sure you soak the pulley bolt in plus gas and have a look at the start of this thread for the procedure to take pulley off.

1 1 0

9. Re: Rattle when air con turned off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Legend! Thanks Arman for quick reply. Rubbers ordered.

I don't have separate ac belt although one garage said it might be possible to get a shorter belt and bypass AC.

Cheers,
    Ian

0 0 0

10. Re: Rattle when air con turned off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Remember soak pulley center bolt in plus gas a few days before and use a rubber or fabric strap wrench and what ever you do don’t turn the bolt turn the pulley just hold the center bolt

1 1 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast