Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Nathan View Post
    I hated the only Galaxy S3 I have tried, and also, if you are committed to the iPad, you are committed to the iPhone.
    I am, that's the problem. I doubt anyone from Audi reads this forum, but a simple software change would fix this and make a lot of people happier with Audi!

0 0 0

2. Re: iphone fix for 2012 and data sim fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update following conversation with Audi. They are aware of the issue, which is pretty much limited to the UK - dual SIM solutions being available in other countries. The Audi guys in Germany are working on it. It is accepted that very few phones now support rSAP. Audi UK tell me that they are "hoping" to find a solution... the chap I spoke to seemed to think that a simple in car software upgrade would not be possible from what he already knew. It would be some hardware upgrade and this would be unlikely to be made available as a retrofit. Thus only new vehicles and only after a solution had been found. No timeline given.
    However, as a gesture of goodwill they are handing out £350 rebates on Phone Prep Hi... if you ask. Perhaps the more that ask, the faster they will act..?

0 0 0

3. Re: iphone fix for 2012 and data sim fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StigB View Post
    Update following conversation with Audi. They are aware of the issue, which is pretty much limited to the UK - dual SIM solutions being available in other countries. The Audi guys in Germany are working on it. It is accepted that very few phones now support rSAP. Audi UK tell me that they are "hoping" to find a solution... the chap I spoke to seemed to think that a simple in car software upgrade would not be possible from what he already knew. It would be some hardware upgrade and this would be unlikely to be made available as a retrofit. Thus only new vehicles and only after a solution had been found. No timeline given.
    However, as a gesture of goodwill they are handing out £350 rebates on Phone Prep Hi... if you ask. Perhaps the more that ask, the faster they will act..?
    That would then suggest that US destination cars have a physically different hardware set up and not just something in the NA MMI software as in the US they can have a SIM card installed and still connect their phone by Bluetooth, important for Verizon customers as their phones have no SIM Card.

0 0 0

4. Re: iphone fix for 2012 and data sim fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Really useful thanks, will experiment when the new car arrives.
    Tell me something though; why is this an issue with Audi/Mercedes and not with BMW? BMW have a separate SIM already in the car and you can connect an iPhone with no problem wit full functionality. My research tells me this is to do with the rsap protocol used by the MMI system but not supported by Apple (and others). Will this ever be sorted out? Seems odd to buy a car from a global manufacturer and the most popular phone in the world and still have to spend time scouring forums and taking SIM cards in and out of phones, autoforwarding calls etc etc.
    What's the future for this issue? Is anyone there working on it?

0 0 0

5. Re: iphone fix for 2012 and data sim fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The latest thing I was told by Audi UK was that there will be a fix in future models but that anyone who has already given them money can stuff themselves. But that was some time ago, so presumably there is no sense of urgency.

As with the online destination issue, provided that it works in Germany and the US, they really don't care about the UK market.

A6 SE Estate 3.0 TDi with no style but loads of gizmos

0 1 0

6. Re: iphone fix for 2012 and data sim fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwide View Post

Really useful thanks, will experiment when the new car arrives.
    Tell me something though; why is this an issue with Audi/Mercedes and not with BMW? BMW have a separate SIM already in the car and you can connect an iPhone with no problem wit full functionality. My research tells me this is to do with the rsap protocol used by the MMI system but not supported by Apple (and others). Will this ever be sorted out? Seems odd to buy a car from a global manufacturer and the most popular phone in the world and still have to spend time scouring forums and taking SIM cards in and out of phones, autoforwarding calls etc etc.
    What's the future for this issue? Is anyone there working on it?
    There are a number of issues which together conspire to create problems for Audi owners. Firstly in Europe the UK is unusual in that none of the mobile operators offer the facility to have a two SIMs assigned to a single phone number. If this were possible then it would make sense of why Audi do not allow both a SIM card in the SIM slot and bluetooth connected phone because you would not want both connected and active simultaneously. In the US where Verizon does not even have SIM cards in its phones then Audi have designed the system to allow both a bluetooth connected phone and a SIM in the dash (Audi have a deal with T-Mobile which they offer all customers who take Audi Connect).

BMW have done a global deal with Vodafone for their built in SIM and the car comes with a three year contract for that. After that the customer presumably has to renew the contract with BMW/Vodafone at a price with no option to go elsewhere. Also in countries where Vodafone has no network the customer will be roaming and whilst this cost is absorbed within the initial 3 year country it could be quite pricey afterwards. The BMW deal is only Machine to Machine so the owner has to use their own phone for voice calls.

The other issue for Audi drivers is down to choice of phone. Apple has decided not to support rSAP on the iPhone (and is not alone in this) and as such it is at odds with Audi who have decided to adopt this protocol. In their defence I suspect Audi probably started developing this version on MMI more than 3 years ago when rSAP was common place and at the time Apple were a new player in the phone market. Audi (along with the rest of VW) has already announced that future version of their systems will be fully integrated with Apple products (as MB have started to offer with the new A-Class) so it seems that this problem will go away in the future but that is of little comfort to those with Audi Connect today. I would have thought that the EU software could be tweaked to follow the US system and permit an installed SIM and a connected phone and perhaps Audi are working on that although with it being primarily a UK issue and the relatively small number of customers taking Audi Connect they may see as not worthwhile.

0 0 0

7. Re: iphone fix for 2012 and data sim fix 
    jbanfie Guest
    Also I believe the BMW system is only 2G - which is not great.

Generally those BMW owners who've seen my Google Maps on the MMI big screen are very jealous.

All the other online services like news and weather are very poor however. I've activated my 3 year subscription to Audi Traffic, but have never used it, just keep it off.

0 0 0

8. Re: iphone fix for 2012 and data sim fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsimcox View Post
    I would have thought that the EU software could be tweaked to follow the US system and permit an installed SIM and a connected phone and perhaps Audi are working on that although with it being primarily a UK issue and the relatively small number of customers taking Audi Connect they may see as not worthwhile.
    I agree - if the software exists in that form, even if a simple ROM update were required I cannot see why they would not do it. As to the number of customers that are taking up Audi Connect, they are hardly going to bother if it cannot be used anyway. Audi would get more takers if they fixed the software!

0 0 0

9. Re: iphone fix for 2012 and data sim fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    This is great, just spoke to Orange and it works like so....

You are given 2 SIMs of the same number, 1 is higher priority than the other (Lets call that one High and the other Low).

Insert High into the car and Low into your iPhone, here is to cool bit!!!! When the car is started and the High SIM enabled it takes priority over the Low SIM inserted into the iPhone, therefore no need to turn your phone off, also Text messages automatically go to the Low SIM and are therefore received by the phone.

I think I will be switching to Orange when my car arrives!!!!

1 off cost of £30 to add the Single Number feature and then £3 per month.

Just lucky I run a limited company.

0 0 0

10. Re: iphone fix for 2012 and data sim fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilPostIt View Post
    Just lucky I run a limited company.
    Can I have a job, please?
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast