1. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    if the car is on all its bump stops did you release the air out anytime by removing the valve block or airlines or other?

I think you are getting a bit ahead here, you need to fault find what the issue is rather than replacing all the parts it will save you a lot of money in the long run

if you have a leaking airbag the max is £300 to repair, i wouldn't go swapping to springs, only my opinion.

what is the condition of the car just now are all the parts still on the car appart from the compressor?

did you have any error lights on prior to removing the compressor?

I would repair the compressor if you think it is low on compression, get it back on the car and go fault finding from there

regards
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

0 0 0

2. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Another thumbs up for Andy's compressor piston-ring repair kit.

I did mine this morning, and had no trouble at all. The fact that nothing was rusted on made life considerably easier, of course. Other than cleaning the corroded alloy from the mating surfaces of the compressor cylinder head (as it were), the longest job was spending yonks looking for a 10mm nut which I thought I'd booted down the road by accident but which turned out to be stuck in the end of the socket.

Anyway, the end result is a compressor which is all but inaudible from inside the car whereas before it sounded like something you'd want to send back to Ann Summers because it was disturbing the neighbours.

And I've got a level three to level four of about forty seconds.

Nice job Andy, and thanks again

Pete

0 0 0

3. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    No problem Pete,

Must be nice to have a rust free one!
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

4. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Out of curiosity, as I'm new to these cars, what pressure do these compressors run at?

0 0 0

5. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    A brand new one normal running will produce 12-14BAR maximum rating is 16 BAR

regards

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

1 0 0

6. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm glad you managed to get another compressor Andy, the one we swapped is Still with the garage, however the new one performs well albeit a bit noisier than original, this is due to the inlet hose not being complete!
    Next time I am back in Scotland (mid July) I will get that compressor to you. I was thinking, looking back at the posts in this thread that the refurbish/replace business would do well if you had a few donated to you to start with.
    I will persuade my young lad that he should let me send it off to you for just that purpose, that way in the future when he has/might have problems with the new unit you could come to the rescue so to speak.
    Let me know your thoughts on that.

Regards
    Jon

0 0 0

7. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Andy,

Got the "Mark 2" compressor ring today and fitted it. Old one is in the post.

I'm shocked at how good it is. I compared them on the bench and could see subtle differences, I never got the vernier on it and I never expected the performance that I actually got.

The car went from 0 to setting 4 no problems.

The initial result is amazing, I'm not sure how long I will keep the car but I'll report back if there are any more issues with it.

Thanks again,

Pat.

0 0 0

8. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Yes the new ring is really good, (even if i do say do do myself!!)

the results are great, it produces the maximum pressure equal to what the new compressors generate (16BAR)

obvious the MK1 is now obsolete and only MK2 rings on offer

regards

Andy
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0

0 0 0

9. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Andy for the ring. All fitted but no joy. Car still on bump stops all round, possibly not at the rear. Compressor is quieter now but still same symptoms, turn on ignition and compressor activates to try and get to level 1. Initially it will run for 40 seconds or so but no lift. Repeating this a few times will cause the compressor to only run for a second or 2 before it switches off. Presume this means that overheating protection is working fine. No fault codes still. Not sure where to go from here, jack the front of the car up and remove wheels and see if air is leaking from front bags? Both are on bump stops so not much clearance. Is it possible to inflate bags manually to test for air bubbles and to take out the manifold near compressor out of the equation? Could this be a fault of sensor on one front wheel and the other has deflated to match it? Any advice folks?

0 0 0

10. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Compressor strip & repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Adam,

I would keep it really simple to begin with. Beg borrow or steal enough jacks to lift the vehicle in to roughly position 2 or 3. This will have the effect of removing the weight of the car from the air springs. Then press the "up" button so the compressor cuts in to raise it to the next highest position.

Assuming all the bags are now inflated because the compressor has filled them, you can then use some soapy liquid to leak test the bags, start with the front left. You will need to slowly lower each jack in turn to load the air bag and find the leaks.

Finding enough jacks might be an issue though but its what I would do to save a few quid. If the bags have gone on the front your looking at £500 for parts minimum. I've just replaced mine with Arnotts.

Regards,
    Pat.

0 0 0

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast