Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Instructions for Getting iPhone Working with High Telephone and data Services

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
  1. Instructions for Getting iPhone Working with High Telephone and data Services 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Following a 20 page thread on the A7 forum, it seemed right to move across to the A6, the home of most people who have the problem.

UPDATE: The rest of this post must now be read with a pinch of salt. Everything works fine until you lose signal, or sometimes just go from 3G to 2G, then everything goes to pot. The developer is now saying that his software may not work with Audis and Porsches. Watch this space, but don't invest much time or effort for the moment.

Following a great deal of effort by gbjk I can now report how to get an iPhone working fully and properly with the High Telephone Preparation with Data Services.

You can read about this here. Note that the iPhone 4S is not yet supported, only the 3G, 3GS and 4. You might find it easier to follow the instructions on that web-page, but those below are a bit more Audi specific. Probably best to read both before you do anything.

This is a recipe, you must follow every step, though you need not understand it.

1. Using your current "normal" Bluetooth connection, export your phonebook to an SD card.
    2. For the time being, the operating system on your iPhone should be 5.0.1. To check this, go to Settings/General/About. There probably will be a solution for 5.1 along shortly, but not yet.
    3. Log into Windows as Administrator or with administrator rights
    4. Plug your iPhone into the PC (this may all work on a Mac, I don't know.)
    5. On the Windows PC, Go to http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ and, about two pages down find the link redsn0w 0.9.10b6 for Windows, download that file.
    6. Run it in Windows, choose the Jailbreak button.
    7. You will see some alarmingly complex button presses to be done on the two buttons on the iPhone. Read them through so that you are ready to follow them (it's so many seconds on Home, then so many seconds on power, or whatever). You will have no chance of doing it correctly unless you are prepared.
    8. Install Cydia Only
    9. Disconnect the iPhone from the PC, you are now done with the PC, the rest is on the phone.
    10. Make sure that you are online (WiFi or 3G, doesn't matter.)
    11. Open the new Cydia App - Choose Developer
    12. Click on Manage/Sources/Edit/Add
    13. Enter http://www.jens-david-consulting.com/repo
    14. Choose the trial licence - if all goes well, you will need to buy the full licence within 10 days.
    15. Return to Cydia.
    16. Reboot the iPhone using the full reboot (ie hold down both buttons until you get the Apple symbol.)
    17. Go into Settings/General and switch Bluetooth off. (I am not sure if this is necessary, but it does no harm.)
    18. Back into main Settings you should find two new icons on the main page, BTStack and RSAP Server. On mine they are between the built in Apps, such as Safari and Store, and the bought Apps.
    19. Go into BTStack and switch on BTStack (the other option allows you to revert to normal vanilla Bluetooth.)
    20. Go into RSAP and set everything on except Fix reopen and Record Log. For a full explanation of all the settings go here. Look for Settings and Compatibility. As I get more familiar with the settings I may change this advice, but my reading of the instructions is that everything switched on except Fix reopen maximises the chances of success and stability. There seems to be a sense on the support forum that settings may depend on provider and maybe country. Give me time on this one.
    21. Get into car and switch on ignition. It should search for your phone, but, if it doesn't, use the MMI to search for a Bluetooth phone.
    22. When you select your phone it should have a Carphone profile - select that.
    23. It will give you a 16 digit number to type in, but in every case so far that we have seen it's actually each of four numbers repeated four times, so it's not too bad.
    24. You should now have a fully functioning phone service, with data, on your UMTS. Check that you have by making a call, going into Google Maps, checking the WiFi works etc.
    25. However, you will find that there is no phone directory. This is a bummer, so...
    26. Use the MMI to re-import your favourite 100 entries from your SD card in step (1) back to your phone.
    You should now have a fully functioning, all singing, all dancing rSAP iPhone, except if you use the WiFi, which kills the telephone service, that is from any device, not just your iPhone. I will continue to experiment with this and advise.

Good luck, buddies!
    Last edited by Timothy Nathan; 20-03-2012 at 12:22 AM.

3 0 0

2. Re: Instructions for Getting iPhone Working with High Telephone and data Services 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks to you both for all the hardwork and the simple step by step instructions.
    I'm sure that this may well end being a "sticky" thread.
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info, I'm sure it'll help someone out there

Thanks Tim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Guest 2; 19-03-2012 at 08:49 AM.

0 0 0

4. Re: Instructions for Getting iPhone Working with High Telephone and data Services 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Please note that most of the thanks should go to gbjk, I am really only the secretary providing notes from the meeting!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Well done taking the minutes of the meetings

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Great work! Thanks!!

I already updated to 5.1 so I need to wait until a jailbreak untethered becomes available...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looking at the documentation, I can see no reason to upgrade to 5.1.

0 0 0

8. Auto-Lock not a problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have now checked the Auto-Lock feature and it seems irrelevant, sorry for the bum steer.

Whatever flakiness we saw yesterday has gone away and it's solid as a rock.

0 0 0

9. Re: Instructions for Getting iPhone Working with High Telephone and data Services 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Please note that I have changed my advice.

I now advise having Fix reopen switched off in SAPServer and not to use the WiFi from any device in the car.

I will continue to diagnose, but it's a long, painful process as sometimes a wrong setting will not manifest as a failure until you lose signal, and in the London area, total signal losses are few and far between.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Nathan View Post
    Looking at the documentation, I can see no reason to upgrade to 5.1.
    Too late for me - I already did it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast