Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys,
    Well I have just collected my car from the dealer after having my injectors replaced under warranty.

When I collected the car they told me they also run a diagnostic check and found a problem with the electronic parking brake. The fault light has been on for a few days but I presumed it was the switch as its common to go!

Anyway, they are saying on one side the "parking brake motor" is cracked causing it not to work on that side (MOT failure) She said its a common problem and when one side goes its likely the other side wont be far behind. Been quoted £693 to have both replaced, but she said as its a common problem VW customer services might pay or contribute toward the repair. Has anybody else had this problem? Did you get anything back from VW?

The car is a 2006 Passat B6 2.0tdi Sport with 91k miles and a full VW service history.

This car is fast becoming a money pit!!!!
    Cheers,
    Derek
    2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0tdi Sport 140....leather, sat nav, bluetooth, 18inch 'Charleston Shaddow' alloys!!
    2003 Saab 9-5 2.2tid Vector Sport Auto....Sadly gone now!
    2001 Audi A4 2.0 SE limited edition....gone now!

0 0 0

2. Re: Parking brake motor...cracked!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    It is a common fault but price quote is too high. Why change both motors if only one is faulty. Seems daft to me.

0 0 0

3. Re: Parking brake motor...cracked!!! 
    Motherwell, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree, wont be replacing the second one until it goes too!
    I am going to get some other quotes, see if i can get it down a bit!!
    D
    2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0tdi Sport 140....leather, sat nav, bluetooth, 18inch 'Charleston Shaddow' alloys!!

0 0 0

4. Re: Parking brake motor...cracked!!! 
    Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi a new caliper comes in at approx £250 and the motor for the parking brake is attached an integral to this - Just had my Injectors replaced under warranty today and also have had a sticky motor for Parking brake.
    Replacing Caliper is not difficult - its a simple job just need VCDS, Caliper and brake Pads + Fluid.
    You are reasonably local to me - If you need VCDS Diagnostics I have a Registered Product and willling to help a fellow Forum member.
    2006 Passat 2.0tdi SE remapped to 180bhp, Black Sports front grill + K+N Power Rear Spoiler to come.

1 0 0

5. Re: Parking brake motor...cracked!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Beginning to think the injector problem is a ploy by VW to drum up even more business ;-).

My car is having the injectors replaced at the moment and has failed the MOT with a cracked coil spring. Fortunately this is covered by the extended warranty. Also had to pay £299 for cambelt replacement, but fair enough as the car is 5 years old and apparantly the belt is showing signs of wear and tear. Had advisories on both front door control modules, but i'm ignoring that for now. The front parking sensors have failed again (replaced 2 years ago), but this may be down to bubbling chrome paint, so not covered by extended warranty.

I've owned many german cars before, including BMWs, but this car is proving to be the most expensive and unreliable.

0 0 0

6. Re: Parking brake motor...cracked!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This is definately a Ploy when mine was in Friday at Verve Wishaw they did a full Inspection and then listed the faults and the cost - also advised on timing belt - however had the Seller renew when I bought the car 6 months or so ago.
    Interval replacement for timing belt 80,000 miles or 4 years. I found their prices not bad - but I always do the work myself if I can - limited by weather conditions lol.

Unfortunate your having so many issues with this car - Suspension parts are due primarily to our lovely roads around here - designed for decent roads which are smooth and not like a 4 wheel drive green lane course!
    About to replace my rear shock absorbers and front wishbone bushes when parts arrive and its not raining.

To trade Im a Renal Nurse but been working restoring repairing cars since a very early age and am qualified in Automotive Engineering amongst other things - I can run diagnostics through VCDS PM me if help needed.
    2006 Passat 2.0tdi SE remapped to 180bhp, Black Sports front grill + K+N Power Rear Spoiler to come.

1 0 0

7. Re: Parking brake motor...cracked!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ploy or not the parking brake warning light is on, so something is wrong! (auto-hold not working at all) I wouldn’t mind a second opinion though, don’t want to spend all that money unless I am sure its needed. I don’t normally used main dealers.

Coincidently a work colleague with a Passat the same age/miles, had one of his injectors go this morning leaving him stranded on the M74.

Deutsche - that’s very helpful, thank you. Have you replaced a parking brake motor before? Do you think the price quoted from Verve included calibers?

mhurer - my parking sensors also have a mind of their own, sometimes work sometimes don’t. I tend to just switch them off!

I really love this car, I just hope I can get these niggles sorted!!

Can anyone suggest somewhere I could try and get these parts instead of man dealer?
    D

0 0 0

8. Re: Parking brake motor...cracked!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thats not so good about your colleague!

I would imagine it included calipers as it is a sealed unit.
    I get a trade discount at a local motor parts supplier - Calipers are (from a cursory look) available from Eurocarparts - may well be other suppliers too.

I can have a look at your system on Sunday at some stage when not at work.

0 0 0

9. Re: Parking brake motor...cracked!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Many thanks for your offer, but I have made arrangements to visit the "out-laws" through in Alexandria on Sunday!
    I will try to phone around tomorow to see what prices I can get for the motor/calibers.
    I have sent an e-mail off to VW customer services asking for some goodwill as seemingly its a common fault, wont hold my breath though!

0 0 0

10. Re: Parking brake motor...cracked!!! 
    DSG4ME Guest
    I thought you could just buy the motor now @ £45 ?

Has anyone considered doing a Martin on one and then re-sealing the outer casing with glue if it's a simple crack, I think it's poor that VW can ask such money for a caliper and then fit it with a 5p plastic housing that will break as soon as a stone hits it at speed or suffer temperature fatigue and fail, surely the motor cover should be aluminum at the very least?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast