Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Bora - Engine judder when driving - MAF sensor, temp. sensor or ABS fault??

1. Bora - Engine judder when driving - MAF sensor, temp. sensor or ABS fault?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I've got a 1.6 Bora, petrol engine. When driving, I've been getting a kind of periodic engine judder. Has happened at most speeds, from parking right up to motorway driving. It will happen in a burst for a few seconds, then maybe a few more times, then stop for a while. When it happens, there's always a rapid clicking sound from where the relays are, as if one of them is cutting in and out quickly. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm accelerating or foot off the pedal. Seems to settle down after a while, and noticed it happens most often when starting the car from cold for the first few mins of driving.

I reckon it could be a failing mass airflow sensor (MAF), but also had suggestions it could be related to a temperature/coolant sensor, or even ABS (though it happens when not braking too).

Might not be relavant but I did have the clutch replaced a few weeks ago - though this fault only developed last week.

Any help massively appreciated before I go ahead and buy a new MAF - also if anyone recommends where to buy one from.

Cheers

Chris

0 0 0

2. Re: Bora - Engine judder when driving - MAF sensor, temp. sensor or ABS fault?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got a 2.0 Bora SE (T) and it was idling eraticly and had really bad mpg (~ 20mpg). Took it to a local VW dealer and they suggested that it was the coolant temperature sensor (off the main block, not on the radiator). Changed it and everything went away. It's also much cheaper than a new MAF. Having said that the problem has now come back. I've changed the radiator and put new coolant in. Suspcious that everything was working upto the point I changed the coolant...

0 0 0

3. Re: Bora - Engine judder when driving - MAF sensor, temp. sensor or ABS fault?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that - I gave up and took it to the mechanic as well, turned out to be the fuel pump relay. Had lots of strange faults on the log as well like earth faults and fuel injector failures - that's what led to working out it was the relay. Not cheap either!

0 0 0

Similar Threads

1. Can a Faulty Coolant Temp Sensor Cause Judder/Lumpy engine 1600-2000 rpm???
    By graemer147 in forum Audi A6 - C5 Forum - 1998 - 2004
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 26-10-2013, 11:56 AM
  2. Vag com 17552 maf sensor fault
    By peterdelphi in forum Audi A4 - B6 Forum - 2002 - 2005
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-04-2009, 08:27 PM
  3. 17552 P1144 maf sensor fault
    By peterdelphi in forum Audi A4 - B5 Forum - 1995 - 2002
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-04-2009, 06:24 PM
  4. engine coolant temp sensor fault..mk5 golf 1.4l
    By achiman in forum VCDS - Help Requests
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13-02-2009, 08:23 PM
  5. Fixed the MAF and the temp sensor, Question tho..
    By macarthur.2000 in forum Golf MK4 - 1999 - 2004
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-04-2008, 06:30 PM