Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vwawudi View Post
    Out of curiosity, can I use bog-standard screen wash (e.g Tesco) or does it have to be a certain spec a la engine oil?
    I've stuck with the Skoda/VW/Audi mix for a couple of reasons :

[1] It's not that expensive - oh and don't bother trying VW or Skoda as it's the same price....then again I've not checked that for years so maybe you should!
    [2] My previous two Audis (TT and B6 S4) had "fan type washers" and although I'm not sure if the B8 has, this forumula is less bitty and hence there's less chance of it blocking the jets like people have had on the previous models.
    MY2010 A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI quattro S-line Exec - Aruba Blue, 19" alloys, Full Leather, B & O, 3G Tech Pack, Adaptive Lights, Dynamic Susp, Folding Mirrors, Power tailgate, Storage/Light Packs, Parking Plus, Heated Seats, Rear Blinds, Load Rails, Privacy Glass, Rear Airbags, TPMS, Load Liner

Gone : 09 A4 Avant, B6 S4, TT, Golf GTi...and the rest are embarassing!

1 0 0

2. Re: Heated Washer jets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Polisher View Post
    I think mine may be not working then. Constantly frozen up, despite using screen wash, but it they are heater, they should unfreeze pretty quickly, but they don't.

Me too, I always garage my car overnight but haven't been able to use the washer jets for over a week now, completely frozen. I know I definately have heated jets I can see the wiring for them under the bonnet.

0 0 0

3. Re: Heated Washer jets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so, should the body of the jets be warm then?

Its -4 here, had the car running for about 20 minutes, jets frozen and icy cold to the touch........... hmmmmm.
    2013 Mercedes E220CDi 7G Estate

Ex- 2010MY A4 Exec S-Line Avant Tdi 143 in Lava Grey (VO59BLN) Delivered 8th Sept 09, returned to Leasing company 12th March 2013 with 134,000 miles.

0 0 0

4. Re: Heated Washer jets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Polisher View Post
    so, should the body of the jets be warm then?
    No. A bit like the 'heated rear windscreen' doesn't get hot - or even warm. It's all relative. The jets just need to maintain their temperature above zero. It's not a hot wash for the screen...

The reservoir is located in the front inner wheel arch so there's a metal bulkhead between the engine and the reservoir. Once frozen, water takes a lot of energy to melt again (latent heat for the scientists) and ice is a poor conductor of heat. You can blast a blowtorch at a block of ice and the whole thing doesn't quickly melt.

With a few screenwash additives you need a really good whack of it to get it's anti-freeze properties - some as much as a 50% mix.

0 0 0

5. Re: Heated Washer jets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenerdiode View Post
    No. A bit like the 'heated rear windscreen' doesn't get hot - or even warm.
    Errrm mine does. I was wondering if the rear side windows in my Avant should clear the ice/snow (they didn't and shouldn't as the lines are aerials and breakage wires for the alarm) but in checking it out I touched both the side and the rear glass. The rear was warm to the touch.
    MY2010 A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI quattro S-line Exec - Aruba Blue, 19" alloys, Full Leather, B & O, 3G Tech Pack, Adaptive Lights, Dynamic Susp, Folding Mirrors, Power tailgate, Storage/Light Packs, Parking Plus, Heated Seats, Rear Blinds, Load Rails, Privacy Glass, Rear Airbags, TPMS, Load Liner

Gone : 09 A4 Avant, B6 S4, TT, Golf GTi...and the rest are embarassing!

0 0 0

6. Re: Heated Washer jets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyUK View Post
    Errrm mine does.
    I'll erm, I'll get me coat...

0 0 0

7. Re: Heated Washer jets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Hello - i am a bit late to the party lol

re quattro it does have a little bit more breaking power, but as said don't get over confident - as all wheels are connected if one gets grip it stops the others from going into a skid.

the heated thing as said its all relative - where as it appears "warm" its probably still pretty cold but got more heat than the surrounding area that is not heated.

mine were well froze on the hour journey this morning - i had to depend on my headlight washer splash at low speeds to clear my screen.

out with the ohm meter to see the craic I think

edit where as my screen wash was coming out the headlight washer ok i have found out that the Wurth screen wash i use under the summer section....
    Last edited by swalker; 11-02-2022 at 02:10 PM.
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 0 0

8. Re: Heated Washer jets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    FWIW, I believe it is mostly down to the screen wash in the system. Most Summer wash will be useless in Winter and should be squirted out in the Autumn before topping up with real Winter stuff undiluted, which claims not to freeze down to -20ish. The jets being heated will not be enough to produce a spray if the reservoir and any of the pipes are frozen. Many Winter screen wash bottles only claim to be good down to -5 but if it has mixed with a bit of Summer fluid that will easily freeze.
    A4 B8 143 Tdi S Line Saloon 2008 (Gone)
    Lotus Elan SE 1991
    A4 B8 170 Tdi Quattro Technik Avant 2011
    A4 B8.5 143 Tdi S Line Black Edition Saloon 2013(gone)
    A4 B8.5 Allroad Sport Nav 2.0 tdi quattro 2015

0 0 0

9. Re: Heated Washer jets 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    agreed - the fact that my headlight washers were working could be a curve ball - bigger pipes and jets not as susceptible to freezing.

step one for me is maybe get some winter wash in there, although again i also use it in the wifes motor ( F Pace) and if it was freezing there i would know about it lol

I was in Montreal one winter and drove to Niagara falls - the screen wash undiluted that was good to -40 was working but also freezing on the screen!!
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12