1. P118 coolant temp sensor issue/s 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi People, have a VW 2003 Passat Sport, had issues with emissions light (yellow) on dash, called AA they gave reading as above (may have another 0 in it) coolant temp sensor fail! got another fitted, two weeks same thing-same code everything-changed again-this time genuine vw part, 4 weeks-same issue-took to garage this morning-diagnostics came back with same reading as before-coolant sensor power/fail-same code as two previous times.
    have had Bora in past that required a ECU when issues like this occurred-my garage dude is freaking out! he says no way sensor-has replaced twice in 6 weeks!
    any ideas people? Peace and Love eddb

0 0 0

2. Re: P118 coolant temp sensor issue/s 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It could be a chaffed wire/corroded connector to the sensor causing the same intermittant code

0 0 0

3. Re: P118 coolant temp sensor issue/s 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    P0118 (16502) Sender for coolant temperature -G62: Signal too high

This is not the usual faulty coolant temperature sender code

If the code keeps returning, it suggests that the engine is overheating.

The thing is though, I am not sure that an AVF or AWX engine can generate either of these codes as VW’s own system denies this code is possible on this vehicle but without consulting a hard copy I have at work I cannot be sure. I think the only two coolant temperature sender codes your car can generate are;

P1255 (17663) Coolant temperature sender -G62: Short to earth

P1256 (17664) Coolant temperature sender -G62: Open circuit/short to positive

I think you need to get a fault code read done elsewhere by someone with different fault code reading equipment; something is not right with there.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: P118 coolant temp sensor issue/s 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, i have not seen the connection personally, but would like to think my guy would of commented on it! i will check-looking down towards the sensor itself-looks ok but have not seen inside connection or felt wire. Thanks dude keep em coming people. Peace

0 0 0

5. Re: P118 coolant temp sensor issue/s 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher, wow you know your stuff dude, ok just checked-the AA reports from their diagnostics both (have two) both come back as P0118-engine coolant sensor. My guy at the garage uses the snap on diagnostic tool but the code is the same. There is no overheating the engine temp is perfect, all of this was checked with the snap on this morning-this is what is freaking the garage dude out!
    the car is a 2003 (23 rd December) VW Passat Sport, 150 BHP according to the paperwork/log-hope this helps?!
    Thanks Guys
    eddb

0 0 0

6. Re: P118 coolant temp sensor issue/s 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Ahh, OK it is a V6 TDI then with an AKN code engine.

P0118 is still not right for that engine either, as far as I can see the temperature sender code would be

00522 Coolant temperature sender -G62-

Short to earth or Open circuit/short to positive
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: P118 coolant temp sensor issue/s 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher, yes mate the car is tdi etc, admitadley the diagnostic tools/machines that have ben used to date for the assessment are from the AA and the Snap On, It has not been put through the VW diagnostics as this costs me £80 per hour. Crasher looking at what you have said regarding wrong codes etc. do you think the VW diagnostic tool would bring up different code for issue? gutted if so, i do not know a way to use the VW stuff without paying! i work in higher education and have acess to a motor vehicle faculty with a diagnostic tool too, unsure of make etc. but could ask for the gents to put through that too in a hope of finding real or different code etc.
    either way this looks as though it is going to be expensive, i have always had issues with the electics in the VW's, previously had to replace ECU in Bora when simular 'untraceable' issues occured with central locking!
    Arghhhhhh-Peace and Love dude
    eddb

0 0 0

8. Re: P118 coolant temp sensor issue/s 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    As far as I can tell your car should not generate that code, I would like to see what VCDS came up with.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0