1. Re: 1.9tdi alternator belt tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As part of a strip down for another issue I have found my aux belt tensioner to be in a very sorry state. The alternator pulley is in good order free wheeling as it should so not really sure why.

The damper / shock absorber on the tensioner has a bush at either end, the bush at the end closest to the tensioner pulley has disintegrated an worn the ally away to the point that the tip of the damper has been in contact with the pulley leaving 4 deep grooves in it. The pulley it's self has begun to break up in the centre........ the car has only* 128k on the clock..... Is this common?

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.9tdi alternator belt tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Well, Id been waiting to put in a big order for parts and to include the aux belt replacement kit for my avf 1.9tdi. It was making a lot of noise but I had become accustomed to it and thought it would wait for me. Driving on a straight road at 60 yesterday when I hear the sound of metallic parts hitting underside of car, thought it must have been a bit of debris until I saw the battery warning on dash and then knew what it was. Its tough trying to drive one of these cars with no belt to drive the power steering pulley but I managed to collect pulley, belt and roller from local parts outlet for a good price. I wonder if there is a way to relieve the stiffness of the steering when power pump not operating, it would be a lifesaver if on a long trip.

Went to do the job today thinking I'd get that tensioners back bolt off with a socket and short extension. There just isn't any space back there for a ratchet s far as I could tell, it looksclike an engine mount lives there and I wasn't going to mess with that. However I did get it off using a 13mm ring spanner, no need to remove the alternator on my car just took engine cover off for better visibility and access. The tensioner wriggled free with a bit of a nudge from a lever and the replacement was wriggled into place without having to do much pushing against fan shroud. Tried to get the roller off but it looks like a torx fitting and I didn't have any to fit, another day for that as thevold roller spins freely without noise. Put belt in position, but in applying pressure to release that locking pin I nudged the belt off the roller and spent best part of an hour trying to get the tensioner back to locked position. A box spanner would have been good as the spanner I had was up against the fan shroud and awkward as hell in the tight space there. Anyway, all running smooth now.

Photo shows spanner in position by bolt at rear of tensioner.

20210324_095546.jpg

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.9tdi alternator belt tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    I take the alternator off and work on the bench, you will need a pulley removal tool, M10 XZN in the middle and a special hollow socket and I find it easier with an air gun.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.9tdi alternator belt tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I take the alternator off and work on the bench, you will need a pulley removal tool, M10 XZN in the middle and a special hollow socket and I find it easier with an air gun.
    The roller Im referring to is the one which is just a roller and not a pulley. Its located below the tensioner. I'm presuming the nut will have a regular right hand thread and can be turned anticlockwise to remove. I should get a set of those xzn.

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.9tdi alternator belt tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Remind me of year and engine code.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.9tdi alternator belt tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Remind me of year and engine code.
    2004 AVF 1.9tdi 130hp

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.9tdi alternator belt tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    The design changed during 2004 from a hydraulic to friction damped tensioner, which type do you have?

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.9tdi alternator belt tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Its same aux belt tensioner as one in the diagram you put up crasher, so all in one with a spring. I reckon we were talking about different things though and that you may have been referring to the clutch pulley on the alternator.
    Last edited by BMurr; 26-03-2021 at 12:31 AM.

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.9tdi alternator belt tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    The later one, you unbolt it from behind and replace it as a unit.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123