1. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Didn't realise there was a Haynes. Just ordered one, would be very handy.
    0 0 0

2. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Padwick View Post
    Didn't realise there was a Haynes. Just ordered one, would be very handy.
    Yes they released it towards the end of 2010 - I was desperate for it at the time so that I could dismantle various bits of my a3 with some instructions! Suppose they do need a few years to bring one out for a newer model. It's about 3 times thicker than the Haynes for my previous car which made me laugh!
    0 0 0

3. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's a right few models covered and all. I wish I'd had it when I was pulling the bumper off!
    A diesel horse only has 3 legs...
    0 0 0

4. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can service your car yourself. I have an a3 8p '59 and serviced it last week. I bought all the parts from Audi for £75 even though the oil is the sme as they do at halfords. They receipt they give you has your miles and registration on it so it counts towards service history. Lots of people are saying 'take it to Audi they do a good job/take more care' etc, have you seen the people that work at Audi particularly where I live. They look like they couldn't give a monkeys about your car. Do it yourself, it's very simple, and you will take more care yourself because its yur car. The service indicator can be reset yourself, just go on eBay and buy the cable and software for £60 one off payment. The gear you need to buy will quickly be offset by saving money on £300 for a service.
    0 0 0

5. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with most of this but avoid the eBay service indicator reset tool and buy VCDS, you'll have much more functionality and if you need to do more complex stuff like coding cluster replacement etc you can sneer at the dealers huge charges and DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsmith0774 View Post
    You can service your car yourself. I have an a3 8p '59 and serviced it last week. I bought all the parts from Audi for £75 even though the oil is the sme as they do at halfords. They receipt they give you has your miles and registration on it so it counts towards service history. Lots of people are saying 'take it to Audi they do a good job/take more care' etc, have you seen the people that work at Audi particularly where I live. They look like they couldn't give a monkeys about your car. Do it yourself, it's very simple, and you will take more care yourself because its yur car. The service indicator can be reset yourself, just go on eBay and buy the cable and software for £60 one off payment. The gear you need to buy will quickly be offset by saving money on £300 for a service.
    0 0 0

6. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    the service reminder on the 8p can be reset using a sequence by pulling the stalks on the instrument cluster too

its also in the manual
    1 0 0

7. Re: Servicing my own 
    EddieBirmingham Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctle Odd View Post
    you'll need a new sump bolt
    Why?

from that statement you prove your lack of knowledge on the topic
    0 0 4

8. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirmingham View Post
    Why?

Why not?

Would you care to elaborate?

0 0 0

9. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirmingham View Post
    Why?

I'm curious. How does that statement prove a lack of knowledge on the topic?

Is it a lack on knowledge that a lot of people prefer to use a suction tool to remove the old oil?
    Is it a lack of knowledge that Audi tend to call it a "Sump plug"?
    Is it a lack of knowledge that I have a lack of knowledge about?
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8
    0 0 0

10. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sump bolts ARE reusable so are condoms, would you rely on a used condom bearing in mind the ongoing costs if it fails?
    0 3 0

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast