PDA

View Full Version : Chipped?

mikeaggy
28-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi
Having just bought my first Passat a couple of weeks ago I am still amazed at its performance! This could be partly due to having driven a Discovery for the last six years?
Having said that, is it possible to find out if a Passat has been chipped in anyway? I tried a simple 0-60 test last night and even though I know I didn't make the best gear changes, I managed to get 8.5 secs.:D
I think the spec says 9.9 secs?

Its a 2004 1.9TDI 130 Highline Saloon.

Would it be even quicker with the ESP (or is it EPS?) turned off?

Mike

shark_90
28-12-2009, 05:11 PM
You probably won't be able to tell yourself without having the ECU code examined. Having said that, the 130 is a great engine and deceptively quick as standard. I would be a case of a tuner having a look I'm afraid.

venetian-red
28-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Shark 90, I wonder if I could ask your opinion on remapping / power upgrades for Passat's. Mine is a 51 plate 130 TDI (S) with 115k which I bought a 3 months or so ago, which had been remapped by a firm called Celtic Tuning from Cornwall to 185bhp. This was done by the previous owner 3 years or so ago, mainly for a bit more motorway overtaking grunt. All seems fine (touch wood!) with the car and I love the way it goes, although I must add I am not a drop the clutch and wheelspin type of guy, I more enjoy the effortless power in any gear. Are such modifications storing up problems like head gaskets etc., or are they in your opinion, well within the cars limits? My car has been very well maintained/serviced by the way. Thanks.

shark_90
28-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Apart from the figure quoted which is at least 10-15bhp optimistic, there's nothing wrong with having a remap on a higher mileage car providing of course that the map is of good quality.

My top tip is not to be too lazy with the gears as blasting full torque through the drivetrain unnecessarily will only cause undue wear.

mikeaggy
28-12-2009, 08:39 PM
In reply to Willowbob.....I can only base my opinion on my knowledge of having my TD5 Discovery chipped. I was told that LRs are made to be sold all over the world and therefore are tuned at the factory to run on a pretty low quality of diesel and to be a sort of jack of all trades. The remapping of my TD5 made an incredible difference, in fact it knocked the 0-60 from 16 secs down to 11secs - not bad for a 2.5 ton 4x4!
I would assume that Passats leave the factory in the same lowish level of tune for the same reason?
I feel that as long as the guy doing (or who did) the remapping is responsible, (the guy who did the LR would only do what he called a mild tune as he said I might rip the auto box out!) you should be fine.
Mike

mikeaggy
28-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your reply Shark. I know its a bit of a million dollar question but.....does my 0-60 figure of 8.5 secs make you suspect it has been done, or could this just be the variation in power output that I hear Passats can have?
Mike

venetian-red
28-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys; I agree as well about the BHP figure, I think 185 bhp is a bit optomistic but thats what the paperwork stated. Glad to hear that all should be OK as I do think that the remap was done well. Best wishes for the New Year.

PeteK
28-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks for your reply Shark. I know its a bit of a million dollar question but.....does my 0-60 figure of 8.5 secs make you suspect it has been done, or could this just be the variation in power output that I hear Passats can have?
Mike

When journalists do 0 - 60 tests on cars, they drive them extremely hard and certainly not in a way I would ever treat my car (ie dropping the clutch at high revs and ramming it through the gears). They also use very accurate equipment to measure the speed and times. Although many people claim they can beat the time quoted with a stopwatch, I would suggest this is due to the fact that the speedometers in vehicles always over read by approx 10% (therefore when your speed says you are doing 60 this is probably more like 55!) I think the time of 9.9 secs may relate to the 0 - 62 time also?

Personally, when I bought my car I thought it felt very fast compared to my previous BMW 318iS. I think this is due to the low down torque it has. I didn't get it remapped until just over a year later as I felt it was quick enough anyway, however when I did I realised what a huge difference a good remap makes to the performance!

limecc
03-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Apart from the figure quoted which is at least 10-15bhp optimistic, there's nothing wrong with having a remap on a higher mileage car providing of course that the map is of good quality.

My top tip is not to be too lazy with the gears as blasting full torque through the drivetrain unnecessarily will only cause undue wear.

I just read a post on the forum where a guy is claiming 268bhp (in his signature) from a 2.5 V6. Is this at all possible?
I'm a little jealous of these power outputs, but I sleep easy at night knowing I've an 'unmodified' car in insurance terms. Everyone seems to be doing it, but how many declare it?

shark_90
03-01-2010, 09:25 AM
With more extensive modifications anything is possible. I wouldn't have thought the injector pump would last long at that though!

Norman vwp
03-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys; I agree as well about the BHP figure, I think 185 bhp is a bit optomistic but thats what the paperwork stated. Glad to hear that all should be OK as I do think that the remap was done well. Best wishes for the New Year.

Had mine chipped two months ago and the 185 is not optimistic as mine was put on the rolling road (before and after ) I have the graph and mine is now 189bhp and goes like stink with better mpg as well.

Norman

shark_90
03-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Sorry, but 189 is a joke. What did it put out as standard? If you're happy with it then great, but there is absolutely no way that figure is accurate.

Norman vwp
03-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi
Thanks for the information as I do not want to put wrong information on the forum but I have looked at my graph again and it shows as originial about 128bhp and the new reading showing as 148bhp does that look more realistic.

Norman

caldirun
03-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi
Having just bought my first Passat a couple of weeks ago I am still amazed at its performance! This could be partly due to having driven a Discovery for the last six years?
Having said that, is it possible to find out if a Passat has been chipped in anyway? I tried a simple 0-60 test last night and even though I know I didn't make the best gear changes, I managed to get 8.5 secs.:D
I think the spec says 9.9 secs?

Its a 2004 1.9TDI 130 Highline Saloon.

Would it be even quicker with the ESP (or is it EPS?) turned off?

Mike
If you have Vag Com use the Vag Scope to log RPM and Torque when you take it for a test drive.
Nm x RPM /7122 will give BHP at the flywheel (at 4150 RPM probably the max BHP) which will be slightly less than the BHP at the wheels.

shark_90
03-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Hi
Thanks for the information as I do not want to put wrong information on the forum but I have looked at my graph again and it shows as originial about 128bhp and the new reading showing as 148bhp does that look more realistic.

Norman

That's certainly more realistic, infact if anything it's a little shy! 165-170bhp is a good healthy figure to aim for.

dirtbiker100
04-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Ah been on this forum for about 5 minutes and possibly already found and answer to my question.

there's nothing wrong with having a remap on a higher mileage car providing of course that the map is of good quality.
Just about to relieve my parents of their Y reg 1.9 tdi estate (130pd) and after 117k miles was wondering the (bad) effects of getting it remapped.
They've owned it since new, nearly all long distance driving as they use a yaris for town use, careful drivers, well serviced, occasionally accelerate from v low revs but ok apart from that.

But worried about components giving up etc.

passat 130 tdi
05-01-2010, 09:04 PM
mine was ran at stock as 139 bhp , had it mapped to 175 bhp at 101,000 miles, took it back as i found it was a handfull in the wet also has over boost/ sticky vanes problems . its now running same power but less turbo/torque , which is alot better .:biglaugh: