PDA

View Full Version : Cheap tuning?

randall977
26-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Sorry in advance for 1. being boring and 2. being a cheapskate...but in these times of economic uncertainty etc etc. I want to remap / tune my A4 avant 2.0 TDI 170 as it's not great to drive and the fuel economy is awful - I'm hoping a remap will help. I found this on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diesel-Economy-Tuning-Chip-Box-Audi-A4-2-0-TDI_W0QQitemZ360176160043QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item53dc2c0d2b and wondered if it will work? My brother-in-law fitted something simular to his 5 series for around £60 and it's been pretty good - no it's not just a resistor! Otherwise is there someone near Oxford who can do a proper remap for a reasonable price - I could travel (a bit). Thanks!

randall977
26-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Evochips - £359... is that a good price? It's a lot of money but it is fairly local...

shark_90
26-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Have you thought about one of our STS units? Not much more than the price you've quoted above and allows you to switch between standard/remapped and also immobilise the car.

On top of that, if you put your A4 back to standard before you sell it, you can re-use the STS on another car, all you need to do is come back to us for a map for the new car, at a discounted price.

Have a look at http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/sts.asp for more information, they're on offer for £399 until the end of the month.

randall977
26-12-2009, 08:46 PM
I like the sound / look of that. So would it allow me to have the same remap charactoristics of one like Evochips? Does the 10% discount apply to this device? In terms to transfer to next car, what kind of price (roughly) would that be? Thanks

shark_90
27-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Yes the STS unit gives you the flexibility of a tuning box but all the benefits of a proper remap.

Unfortunately as the unit is already on offer we can't apply any more discount on top.

Moving to the next vehicle will vary depending on the car but approx £200-£250.

As soon as the posties are back at work I could get one out to you next day :)

randall977
29-12-2009, 09:24 AM
...so, you plug in this unit, upload the remap and unplug again (ie you don't have to leave it plugged in)? Is just one remap type available or are there several to select from? Is it better / different from Bluefin? Sorry if my questions are a bit simple!

shark_90
29-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Yep you've got it, you apply the map and then unplug the unit.

We don't offer different types of map (Eco, "fast road") etc as it's all rubbish, you get one propery tuned remap and an immobiliser map to disable the car should you want to.

The features are very similar to products from other tuners (such as the Bluefin), I couldn't possibly comment on whether it's better or not, bit of course you get one of our maps and no-one else's :)

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

randall977
29-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the reply!

shark_90
29-12-2009, 11:14 AM
No problem! If you'd like to order one I can get one out to you next day, now the posties are back at work :)

turbotimt5
05-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi, I am very interseted in one of the units,
could you explain what is involved to do the upgrade myself, and where it is "plugged in" etc,

regards Tim

PS Don't suppose the special offer is still on, is it ? :Blush:

shark_90
05-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Hi Tim

The offer has indeed ended but there are still discounts available for being a VWAudi Forum member!

Is it an A4 you have? If so, the unit plugs in under the dashboard above the accelerator pedal,
near the bonnet release handle.

If you want to give us a call tomorrow on 0871 2211 281 one of us can explain it a little better and answer any questions that may arise :)

turbotimt5
06-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the reply, I will try and call you Monday.
By the way my car is a 2006 A4 with the 2 litre 170 tdi (PD) engine, doesn't seem to be so many chip kits etc, available for this engine

Tim

shark_90
06-02-2010, 09:02 PM
No worries, we can certainly look after you on that :)

Petemate
06-02-2010, 10:03 PM
How does the unit tie in with the DPF system, which I understand is fitted to most if not all of the 170BHP models?
TIA
Pete

shark_90
06-02-2010, 11:21 PM
We have had no reports of our tuning causing any problems with DPF equipped cars, however given the track record of PD diesels with DPF there is of course a chance of DPF problems even on standard cars.

Dee84
14-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Oh I want one as well but I am torn between the STS and the Bluefin device. Both look absolutely great though. Decisions decisions!:biglaugh:

brummieboy
14-04-2010, 05:09 PM
I did loads of research before having my tune on my 140 2.0TDI. Decided to have a viezu map in the end. I am very impressed with the performance and their customer service is excellent so they get my recommendation every time.

I spoke with a tech the other day on behalf of a friend - i think the cost now is about £270 all in.

The website will show you the locations of fitters, and i've the number of a mobile guy if needed.

Good luck.:beerchug:

shark_90
14-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Oh I want one as well but I am torn between the STS and the Bluefin device. Both look absolutely great though. Decisions decisions!:biglaugh:

The devices are of course very similar, but the maps are different and it's the map that matters ;) If you'd like to talk about it, feel free to give us a call :beerchug:

Dee84
15-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Hey thanks, i'll probably do that soon. The thing is, my car has 72k on it. Drives like a dream but im scared i could wreck it with the extra power. Im not heavy footed though mind you but I would definately like the extra power there.

shark_90
15-04-2010, 08:40 AM
So long as it's been looked after and properly serviced, it really isn't a problem. I have remapped cars with 200k+ miles with no problems and conversely refused to remap cars with 100k miles on.. it's all down to condition. Thankfully, enthusiast owners generally look after their cars very well :)

Dee84
15-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Well thats just great!!! Its been serviced regularly since new and drives really well so I think i'll do it! Just gotta get paid first and then i'll be in touch. Thanks for all your help by the way, it's refreshing!

shark_90
15-04-2010, 09:53 AM
No problem at all, glad to help :)

alfapersius
29-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi,

I've been looking at various remaps and the bluefin and shark sts both look good. One question on the STS though is regarding the diagnostics reader. It says on the site about allowing you to read and clear fault codes. Does this allow you to reset the service interval warning? My local garage serverd it recently and cleared the warning but haven't reset it.

darich
30-05-2010, 11:01 AM
I bought one of the STS units from Ben at Shark Performance and did the remap myself after Ben emailed me the remap file.

Dead easy and a noticeable increase in power. Not tried the immobiliser map but it effectively turns the car into a lump of metal - won't start, even with the key.
I can also revert back to the original map when the time comes to sell the car.

It takes around 15-20 mins for the map to be changed on the ECU but it's so simple. If you can read, then you can follow the simple instrcutions!!

Not sure about the diagnostic code reading - I believe it only reads and doesn't reset but I might be wrong.

Recommended unit though - reduces the cost of all future remaps too....assuming you go back to Ben at SP...but then why wouldn't you??:biglaugh: