PDA

View Full Version : A brief intro with some questions

dave armstrong
12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi All

After many years of driving a Renault Kangoo, and wanting to change cars, I came across an R reg 2.5tdi A6 se Estate 6 speed manual

A local farmer had parked it up in his cow shed for three years! I went along two weeks ago to see him and look at the car, apart from being covered in 1/2" of dust and dirt all over, a charged battery and it started first turn of the key. He had it last serviced at 160000 and had 182000 on the clock So £600 later I was the owner.

The power steering/alternator didn't work, so after dropping the front down and removing the covers the bolt that holds the tensioner was undone, so cleaned it up, loctited and replaced, all fine.

Took for mot, and no problems, went through after a replaced bulb and headlight adjustment.

Went on the road for the first of the month, then some problems.

1, bad fuel leek at rear wheel near fuel cap!:mad:
Turned out to be leaking from a corroded fuel line from tank - This was cut out and replaced with some rubber fuel line :D

2, Then developed a water leak!:mad:
Turned out to be the water hose that goes from the steel heated pipe that runs along the passengers side of the engine to the oil cooler. What seems to happen is when they are topped up with oil, the over spill of oil runs down the side of engine and on to this pipe, when over the course of time rots the rubber. Fiddley to remove, but replaced and all fine.:D

Since this have done nearly 1000 miles and goes really well. Few things to address

1, Seems to have a transmission whine? Will change oil when I know what type and where fill/drain and level plugs are?

2, Has a cv click on tight RH turn, will remove cv boot and re pack with grease first before replacing.

3, Lost all display for heaters (figures) although lights up? Havent a clue

4, The centre display is fine for a bit and then fades away from left to right?

5, Brake pad warning light on intermintly and abs intermntly, although has nearly new brake pads all round.

6, When cold starts perfect, instant on key after glow plug light goes out. After a run and warm needs cranking to start?

Any help on the above will be great. When I get it all clean and shiny will post some pic's

All I can say at the moment as very happy with drive comfort and speed!!!!

If anyone has a tow bar then please let me know

Thanks Dave

paul b
13-11-2009, 05:29 PM
You're looking at about £30 for a genuine Audi CV boot kit.

With regards to brake warning lights, it could be a number of things, best to get it scanned with VAG-COM for fault codes which would shed some light on the problem. As it's intermittent not permanent it shouldn't be that the pads have no wear indicators fitted. It may be a wheel speed sensor. My VW T5 intermittently puts it's ABS light on for the wheel speed sensor.

You might have air in the fuel lines or the fuel filter isn't air tight. Replace fuel filter first (cheapest thing). Otherwise it could be the temperature sensor.

I've no tow bar. :p