PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen residue

JSH
10-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Hello all, I've a 09 Passat Highline and keep getting a Blueish oily residue on the inside of the windscreen, As if a smoker was using it!. It seems to be more noticeable where the demister vents blow on the glass. Ordinary window cleaner does eventually remove it, But Im using Meths to cut through the oily / Smearing residue. I think I remember reading its from the plastics used but not sure.
Im just curious if anyone else is experiencing similar. I dont recall the last car suffereing this badly.
This time of year its very noticeable with the low sun.
Also what thoughts do people have about waxing the outside glass ( except windscreen ), Ive started to do it and find the windows stay cleaner without any visibility issues, especially the rear, being an estate.
Regards
John

angus
10-11-2009, 05:23 PM
I wouldn`t even dream of `waxing` the outside glass!

I have used proper glass treatments (theres lots on the market) and find them very good at `beading` up the water which is especially good on the side windows and the continually filthy tail-gate. But BE WARNED, don`t get any splashes on the paintwork, or if you do clean it immediately and very rigorously. I failed to do this on the OHs B5.5 and it has etched so badly into the lacquer that it won`t even compound out (has no effect), and the only way to put it right would be a full panel strip and respray.

JSH
10-11-2009, 05:39 PM
I wouldn`t even dream of `waxing` the outside glass!

I have used proper glass treatments (theres lots on the market) and find them very good at `beading` up the water which is especially good on the side windows and the continually filthy tail-gate. But BE WARNED, don`t get any splashes on the paintwork, or if you do clean it immediately and very rigorously. I failed to do this on the OHs B5.5 and it has etched so badly into the lacquer that it won`t even compound out (has no effect), and the only way to put it right would be a full panel strip and respray.

May i ask why you would'nt wax outside glass ? I have started doing it ( except the windscreen ) and appreciate the beading effect that seems to carry the dirt away and so far havent found any problems.
Thank you for the warning about getting window treatments on the paintwork, sorry to hear of your experiances
Regards John

johnloaderuk
10-11-2009, 07:49 PM
How about using something like RainX - watch the video from the link.

http://www.rainx.co.uk/

Isn't this basically 'waxing' the windscreen ?.

Quatrelle
10-11-2009, 07:52 PM
I have always waxed the outside glass.

I also use the same to occasionally do the insides.

JSH
10-11-2009, 10:09 PM
How about using something like RainX - watch the video from the link.

http://www.rainx.co.uk/

Isn't this basically 'waxing' the windscreen ?.

Thanks for the reply I'll get some rainx, Interesting instructions in the link they recommend using Cif on your windscreen to prepair for application. Now thats brave!
Regards John

eob
17-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the reply I'll get some rainx, Interesting instructions in the link they recommend using Cif on your windscreen to prepair for application. Now thats brave!
Regards John

Word of warning. I put RainX on the windscreen at the weekend and never 'cleaned' the screen properly beforehand and it has made a big swirly mess on both the CC and the Zafira. :aargh4: I headed out with an all in one cleaner which cuts through grease tonight and it had no effect. :mad:
As I havn't applied it properly it looks like it won't last long anyway as the swirls were no where near as bad today as they were on Monday.

Hopefully I'll get it sorted but it has put me off RainX a bit. Now that I've searched on it a bit more it seems that you can get a bit of a build up on the unswept areas and you really need to be re-applying every 4 - 5 weeks.

I dunno though, it gets such rave reviews on t'inet that maybe it's worth preserveering.

JSH
17-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Word of warning. I put RainX on the windscreen at the weekend and never 'cleaned' the screen properly beforehand and it has made a big swirly mess on both the CC and the Zafira. :aargh4: I headed out with an all in one cleaner which cuts through grease tonight and it had no effect. :mad:
As I havn't applied it properly it looks like it won't last long anyway as the swirls were no where near as bad today as they were on Monday.

Hopefully I'll get it sorted but it has put me off RainX a bit. Now that I've searched on it a bit more it seems that you can get a bit of a build up on the unswept areas and you really need to be re-applying every 4 - 5 weeks.

I dunno though, it gets such rave reviews on t'inet that maybe it's worth preserveering.

Thanks eob for the warning
I bought some and haven't had time to apply it, I was going to use Meths to clean the glass as I didnt like the sound of cif ( Ithought that would be too abrasive. Now I think I will use it on the rear first.
Once again Thanks
Regards JHohn

eob
18-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks eob for the warning
I bought some and haven't had time to apply it, I was going to use Meths to clean the glass as I didnt like the sound of cif ( Ithought that would be too abrasive. Now I think I will use it on the rear first.
Once again Thanks
Regards JHohn

Hey, no problem. I did RainX the rear screen and the front sides and they are all fine and the water certainly beads and flys off.
I think the windscreen was coated in Quik Detailer which I had used as a drying agent, but then again, I had used that on the other windows too. :confused:
Maybe something else on there then?
The RainX website (http://www.rainx.co.uk/tips.php#remedies)says to use a window cleaner such as Halfords Glass Cleaner (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_71 4881_langId_-1_categoryId_165682) so I might try that and give it another go.

Actually, when searching for the link above, I see that they have an advanced cleaner (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_38 0933_langId_-1_categoryId_165682). Only £2 more.

eob
18-11-2009, 12:21 AM
I just read the RainX remedies (http://www.rainx.co.uk/tips.php#remedies) site again, and it says that using too much RainX can cause the same problems.
I wonder if thats why the other windows were OK?

gamichea
18-11-2009, 09:37 AM
I've used ********* own version of RainX. It comes with its own cleaner which is best described as cutting compound for glass, i.e. its mildly abrasive and cuts through the grime rather than dissoving it. Incidentally if RainX comes with its own cloth to apply with I suggest you think twice before using anything else. Clever **** here applied ********* with a foam applicator which then rotted to bits within a few days :o.

JSH
18-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Hey, no problem. I did RainX the rear screen and the front sides and they are all fine and the water certainly beads and flys off.
I think the windscreen was coated in Quik Detailer which I had used as a drying agent, but then again, I had used that on the other windows too. :confused:
Maybe something else on there then?
The RainX website (http://www.rainx.co.uk/tips.php#remedies)says to use a window cleaner such as Halfords Glass Cleaner (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_71 4881_langId_-1_categoryId_165682) so I might try that and give it another go.

Actually, when searching for the link above, I see that they have an advanced cleaner (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_38 0933_langId_-1_categoryId_165682). Only £2 more.

Many Thanks eob

I have to apologise for thr state of last night post, After a 18 hour 870 miles & a heavy day my brain was scrambled.
Thank you for the sharing your reserch. I had hoped to have applied the rainx by now, But it seems its saved me a heap of trouble.
Hope you get to clean your windows without too much trouble ( My Mother used to swear by white vinegar ) might be worth trying the old ways.
Regards John

JSH
18-11-2009, 01:10 PM
I've used ********* own version of RainX. It comes with its own cleaner which is best described as cutting compound for glass, i.e. its mildly abrasive and cuts through the grime rather than dissoving it. Incidentally if RainX comes with its own cloth to apply with I suggest you think twice before using anything else. Clever **** here applied ********* with a foam applicator which then rotted to bits within a few days :o.

Hello gamichea
Does the ********* ( < Brilliant !) stuff work ?
The use of abrasives on glass frightens me, Many years age I tried jewllers rouge on a windscreen to try and polish out a very light scratch. The results in daylight were good but headlights at night highlighted where I had polished.
Regards John

eob
18-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Yes, I'll let you know how I get on.
As i said, the problem is only because I didn't prep the windscreen properly so don't let that you put you off. It gets rave reviews online.

gamichea
18-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Hello gamichea
Does the ********* ( < Brilliant !) stuff work ?
The use of abrasives on glass frightens me, Many years age I tried jewllers rouge on a windscreen to try and polish out a very light scratch. The results in daylight were good but headlights at night highlighted where I had polished.
Regards John

Hi John,
Yes, it does. I've used it on the fixed panoramic sunroof on SWMBO's Qashqai and it works a treat beading up the water so it either runs straight off or dissipates due to vehicle movement as soon as you drive.

I've also used it on the Passat's windscreen and while its good I don't find it worth the effort as cleaning the screen properly when the car is washed coupled with the performance of the wiper blades provides all the vision I need. That said, I am not wiper-manic, rarely setting the auto-wipers sensitivity above level 2 or using continuous on high speed.

JSH
18-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi John,
Yes, it does. I've used it on the fixed panoramic sunroof on SWMBO's Qashqai and it works a treat beading up the water so it either runs straight off or dissipates due to vehicle movement as soon as you drive.

I've also used it on the Passat's windscreen and while its good I don't find it worth the effort as cleaning the screen properly when the car is washed coupled with the performance of the wiper blades provides all the vision I need. That said, I am not wiper-manic, rarely setting the auto-wipers sensitivity above level 2 or using continuous on high speed.

Many Thanks gamichea

Thank you for your post. Its a day the cars not in use so its in the garage drying and hopefully I will apply rainx this evening, Im going to try surgical spirt to prepare the glass . The main window Im wanting to do is the rear as being an estate it gets filthy, especially this time of the year the rear wiper only cleans a small amount. I will treat all the windows except the windscreen until I'm happy with the others
Once again Many Thanks John

eob
21-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Okay, managed to remove the RainX from the windscreen using Autoglym Car Glass Polish (http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/product-proddetail.asp?v06VQ=FE&Range=1) and a tub of elbow grease :D

It looks as if the swirls have been removed, so I'll give it a week to make sure that all traces have gone and then try and reapply next weekend (if its not raining).

When I was polisihing the screen I noticed how many big chips I have already :zx11:

How did you get on with your application JSH?

JSH
21-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Okay, managed to remove the RainX from the windscreen using Autoglym Car Glass Polish (http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/product-proddetail.asp?v06VQ=FE&Range=1) and a tub of elbow grease :D

It looks as if the swirls have been removed, so I'll give it a week to make sure that all traces have gone and then try and reapply next weekend (if its not raining).

When I was polisihing the screen I noticed how many big chips I have already :zx11:

How did you get on with your application JSH?

Hello
On Wednesday I got the car washed, dried and in the garage with a fan heater on to ensure everything was dry & warm. That evening I attacked the glass with surgical spirit ( A friend who works in the double glazing recomended it.) I was amazed at the dirt it drew off the "clean" glass (It also made light work on the inside of the windscreen on a blue haze that appears to come out of the demisters that other products seem to struggle with ). I then applied the Rain X as per instructions really working into the glass with a cotton cloth. The next day I dry polished the glass which is now silky smooth. Over the last couple of days I haven't seen any swirls or optical difference in the glass & water seems to bead straight off, a godsend being an estate!
Im very happy with the results, Im sure the warm dry enviroment was the key to the success:D
P,S sods law on Friday on the M18 a stone hit the windscreen right in my field of vision, Leaving a star shaped inpact..... Bugger!:zx11:

P,S 2 I hope eob "& everyone else for that matter" is not suffering from the floods, Living over the west of Scotland:beerchug:
Regards John

eob
22-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Glad it worked out OK for you.
As I said, I hadn't prepped the screen beforehand.

Sorry to hear about the stone chip. Is it a replacment job?

P,S 2 I hope eob "& everyone else for that matter" is not suffering from the floods, Living over the west of Scotland:beerchug:
Regards John

Thank 'whoever' but we have been uneffected by the floods.
Feel really bad for all those who have been hit especially the family of the policeman who was killed. :(

JSH
22-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Glad it worked out OK for you.
As I said, I hadn't prepped the screen beforehand.

Sorry to hear about the stone chip. Is it a replacment job?

Thank 'whoever' but we have been uneffected by the floods.
Feel really bad for all those who have been hit especially the family of the policeman who was killed. :(

Hello eob

The Policeman that was tragically killed,a family man as well!. Deepest sympathy and thoughts for the ones left behind. It certainly puts our issues into perspective!

Glad to hear your not affected by the floods, I grew up in a house near York that got flooded, Its what it leaves behind 3-4 inches of sludge & sewage, Luckly we were prepared for it. It was a rehersed routine moving furnature etc, luckly we had stone walls and floors ( I doubt we'd ever get rid of the smell if they were wood! ). So it was a case of power washing it away and disinfecting

The windscreen ( seems crass to talk about that with all the suffering going on! ) I took it to Autoglass yesterday and the damage is too great for the resin repair so its going for a new one next week.

Cie-La-Vie John :o