PDA

View Full Version : broken timing belt on golf

kadul
09-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi

Got An good secondhand engine put in my 2001 golf tdi,
An new water pump and timing belt was fitted too

Only done about 100 miles when the timing belt broke

I got the guy who put the engine in to collect it as he does recovery too..
Anyway he says a stone or something must have got caught in the cog wheel and jammed and broke the belt as wheel is bent and like light particles of something like a stone crushed around the area etc from what he can see but has not taken it completely down to look properly
The cover was over the belt but the undertray was missing.
I noticed that the coolant was leaking too from the vehicle

Still i d’ont believe his story as what are the chances of this damage happening due to a stone 100000 -1.

I;m bringing it home at the weekend to have proper look

What do you guys think of this, I think he may be trying to wriggle out of it

That engine cost me £750 so looks like im going to be down a lot of money on this

Thanks

towcestervag
09-08-2009, 11:02 PM
must admit never heard of a stone getting in the timing cover!

ChrisH1098
10-08-2009, 08:58 AM
That does sound very suspect! Never heard of a stone breaking a new cam belt before! What was is a brick! Mind you that’s what the guards keep out.

I have a spare engine if you want some parts?
It’s a 1900cc diesel engine from a VW Mk4 Golf GT TDi 115bhp with engine code AJM.
The cylinder head, crank shaft, conrods, pistons, sump & clutch are all useable.
It was running before being removed but it does have a crack in the back of the block which leaked coolant out not into the engine.
You may be able to just use the head if it’s your valve train that’s damaged but you would need to check if your engine code is different
If you’re interested let me know the engine is in the North East.
Any questions just ask.
:beerchug:

kadul
10-08-2009, 09:51 AM
ok thanks will have to get a mechanic to have a proper look at mine later this week and try to find what really happened.

Just wondering it may have something to do with the waterpunp as surely if you fit an new engine, waterpump, timing belt and if its done properly there should be no coolant leaks underneath.

ChrisH1098
10-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Yes if all those are fitted properly you shouldn’t have a coolant leak but it may be leaking from some were else! The coolant leaking has nothing to do with the belt snapping. The coolant could be leaking from a hose, reservoir, radiator or block.