PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fluid leak

Boblell
12-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Audi A6 Allroad, 2.5TDI, 2005. Got a very slow leak, noticable by a small (50p size) oil spot on my drive every morning. I am presuming its something to do with the steering rack. Is this a common problem with an easy fix? If it is a steering rack jobby what sort of money are we looking at. Any thoughts?

Peter D
13-07-2009, 08:33 AM
What colour is the fluid, is your steering fluid now low. Catch some of the oil on a white peice of paper to check the colour. Can you see any oil on the undertray, if so where. Regards Peter

Boblell
13-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Hello Peter, Its been going on for a while and I thought it may have been from the gearbox, because the sump was covered in the stuff, although it was more prominant around a silver round thing to the side of the gearbox (passenger side).

It was only checking the fluid level in the power steering reservoir yesterday that I noticed the level was low, just below the minimum level. The fluid appears to be thin and clear in colour dropping from under the car. I did consider leaving some paper under the car to check, but the weather has not allowed that. The steering itself seems to be fine. Regards - Bob

Peter D
13-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Steering fluid is green. Your leak sounds too far back for a steering issue. What gearbos have you got, manual auto tip. Year model and mileage. Suspect drive shaft oil seal leak. Regards Peter

Boblell
13-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi Peter, That sounds a bit less expensive than the steering rack! I have a auto tiptronic box. I'm not sure what that silver disc thing is to the side of the gearbox, but it has a sort of white rubber hood around it and the oil is more noticiable there ( from under the car it looks like an old fashioned round silver tobacco tin).

Could this be linked to my other minor problem with the car ie, a slight judder when I come to a full stop when in slow moving traffic? Thanks for your help on this, Regards - Bob