PDA

View Full Version : Sharan CV outer

Scarrowman
13-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Hi I'm new to fixing Sharan's.

Mine's the 1997 TDI AFN engine model, with an ABS ring attached flat to the outer CV joint. The offside outer CV has a completely broken ABS ring on it and unfortunately I'm going to have to change the complete outer CV joint (unless possible to buy just the ring). Presently both ABS sensors are reading approximately 1060 ohms at 7 deg C and the ABS light is permanently switched on showing faulty.

QUESTIONS: Can you buy just the ABS ring (I've tried unsuccessfully so far from dealer's). Is it possible to change the outer CV joint in situ i.e. without having to remove the complete inner, outer and shaft? Are there any major problems to come accross once you have started on the job (I haven't started yet as the car is still usable, but without ABS working).

Many thanks for any help.

Scarrowman
20-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi,

Has anyone had any experience or thoughts on this one?

Rgs,

Scarrowman

Scarrowman
26-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi All,

I'm guessing that no one has had much experience of removing the outer CV joint in situ.

Thought that as a new member, that I would give the forum some feedback, rather than just expecting to take information.

I've managed to do the job by using the driveshaft retaining bolt and an oil filter strap wrench around the outer CV joint. By supporting the CV shaft with a piece of wire, one tightens the retaining bolt fully. Then by hitting the bolt with a hammer and incrementally tightening it, the outer CV joint slips outwards over the 'C' clip. Good little tip for any newbies.

Regs,

Scarrowman

andy e
08-07-2006, 10:23 PM
if any one wants to change a outer cv boot draper do a tool that looks like a large blue ice cream cone. turn the boot inside out lather it in silicone spray put it on joint ,push and boot slides up and onto joint total time to replace to boots on a 98 sharan 90 mins [that included 2 cuppas!!!!!]