PDA

View Full Version : bad rattle

glen70
25-04-2009, 01:15 PM
:aargh4:i have a rattle which i csan really hear when the windows are down.but when i brake it stops.i have been told it could be the disc gaurd but they are ok.also maybe the springs but they seem ok too.:mad: does anyone have any more idas please.

PeteK
25-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Sounds like the brake pads rattling in the calipers, particularly if it disappears when you brake. I had a similiar problem before I changed the pads on mine. It's amazing how much noise they make!

martin1810
25-04-2009, 01:39 PM
You need to get the calipers checked because well worn bads have been known to twist and jam in the caliper which is not ideal for braking.

cazyp
25-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Check your wheel nuts are done up....

Panzerdriver
25-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Check your wheel nuts are done up....

Would agree with crazyp with this one, unfortunately fell foul of this little chestnut myself. :Blush2:

glen70
26-04-2009, 09:14 AM
will check my nuts this morning;) the springs seem to be tight around the pads but will check aswell.one thing i have noticed is inside the wheel arches at the front there are 2 twist screws missing both sides which hold the belly pan cover on.but they are plastic so would more flap then rattle.they need new screws in though.
thanks for replies:beerchug:

glen70
26-04-2009, 12:01 PM
checked the nuts also had all four wheels off.the front springs seem ok.the rear pads seem to be loose so would rattle or is this normal?the rears dont have springs so are they automatically adjusted ?
the car has done 28000mls original brakes.the pads look as though they are nearly due a change so which make ect is best?

rwswll
26-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi,

iv had a similar anoying rattle.

look under the engine centrally right at the front. after the bumper.

you'l see a cast frame sitting over a rubber bung. there are two support arms holding this in place. on mine one was broken and the other was loose.

after fitting a new arm and tightening the bolts the rattle dissapeared.

hope this helps.:beerchug:

glen70
26-04-2009, 10:41 PM
will look at that tommorow but i think its my pads and discs cheers:o

Bassman
22-09-2009, 08:17 PM
:aargh4:i have a rattle which i csan really hear when the windows are down.but when i brake it stops.i have been told it could be the disc gaurd but they are ok.also maybe the springs but they seem ok too.:mad: does anyone have any more idas please.

Glen,

Did you solve this as I have exactly the same problem on my wife's Passat?

Thanks

Rob

glen70
22-09-2009, 08:31 PM
hi.i did solve the problem it was the pads.i changed the discs and pads and the noise stopped completely.
i have swapped the passat for 06 plate touran 1.9tdi really happy with it a little slower but that can be sorted with upsolute ect:D