PDA

View Full Version : Question Mk2 BBS wheels on a Mk3 TDi - It's a grind!

hungwel
25-04-2009, 01:17 AM
I have just bought a Mk3 TDi with the idea of building a diesel track car. It still has loads of ticket & tax so using it as a daily runner for the time being. I've had some Mk2 BBS wheels sat around for a while from my old 16v track car, 15" 100x4 6J 35ET (195/50/15)so thought i with stick these on and lose the 14" 100x4 6J 35ET (185/60/14) raider wheels that were fitted. Anyway, to the problem. After fitting i kept getting a grinding sound on both rears so whipped wheels off checked for rubbing, none found. Checked hubs, bearings for any play, all OK. Then checked for any rub marks, cant see any! Anyway, was getting annoyed at this point so put the old raiders on the back and have not looked since.

Has anyone had a problem fitting Mk2 wheels on the Mk3?

An after thought was to check the wheel bolt lengths as there my be a difference between the thickness of the wheel bolt holes, ordered some 5mm spacers just in case. I dont think the wheel bolts & locking bolts are original.

Any thoughts?

BobProperty
25-04-2009, 05:49 PM
I can't find the links I want, but I think 15 6J has or needs a 38mm offset not a 35mm. You need to check this elsewhere or get some more opinions 'cos it's just something I think I've seen somewhere.
As for the noise, are you sure it isn't on the inside of the wheel? Again, I think I've read somewhere that larger wheels can catch on the brake callipers. Have you got discs on the rear?

hungwel
25-04-2009, 07:14 PM
I can't find the links I want, but I think 15 6J has or needs a 38mm offset not a 35mm. You need to check this elsewhere or get some more opinions 'cos it's just something I think I've seen somewhere.
As for the noise, are you sure it isn't on the inside of the wheel? Again, I think I've read somewhere that larger wheels can catch on the brake callipers. Have you got discs on the rear?

Both sets of wheels have an offset of ET35 printed on them and the car has rear drum brakes. I even got a mate to check for the rubbing who could not see anything. When i recieve the 5mm spacers, i will have another look but i'm sure it must be coming from the hub/drum brake

BobProperty
25-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Just another thought. You also mention the wheel bolts and I think the hole in the back drum goes all the way through as you can put a screwdriver in the drum bolt hole to reach an adjuster or something. So maybe the bolts are too long and are rubbing inside the hub; which you won't see unless you dismantle the brake of course.

hungwel
26-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Just another thought. You also mention the wheel bolts and I think the hole in the back drum goes all the way through as you can put a screwdriver in the drum bolt hole to reach an adjuster or something. So maybe the bolts are too long and are rubbing inside the hub; which you won't see unless you dismantle the brake of course.

This is what i am thinking. Will check the end of bolts for rubbing and fingers crossed the spacers will do the trick. Thanks for reply

Crasher
26-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Remember that 5-mm spacers will make the offset effectively ET30.

hungwel
27-04-2009, 01:56 AM
Remember that 5-mm spacers will make the offset effectively ET30.

So Adding 5mm spacers to the amount of +ET on the wheel will make the track wider thus making wheel offset ET30. Got it now. Loads of room in the archs so no proplem there and can't see this making too much difference to suspension settings. I will be only using the spacers for the back as the front is all good and feels much more responsive. Will get tracking checked after anyway. I will also want to slam it which will also change all the suspension settings but as im still using as a daily runner it's not ideal to do at the moment. Thanks again for your input.

hungwel
27-04-2009, 08:10 PM
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/hungwelebay/DSC_0016.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/hungwelebay/DSC_0018.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/hungwelebay/DSC_0017.jpg

hungwel
29-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Update to the question - Floating spacers arrived today, fitted, blasted down the road and no noises so all sorted. So next on the list is to go to local scrappy and find a full set of shorter bolts so i can loose the spacers. Thanks for the input those that answered.