PDA

View Full Version : Understanding vagcom results

PETER G
18-02-2009, 07:47 PM
After finally sorting out vagcom & interface, & charging my old laptop with serial port, IO manages a scan on my Passat. Threw up a few faults:
MAF - open or short to ground
Air flow flap positioning motor faulty
coolant temp sensor open / short to ground
alarm horn internal supply voltage.

Most concerning are the MAF & Coolant temp sensor.

I pressed the clear results tab thinking this clears the faults in the ECU, after repeating the scan I got the same results.

Is this how the faults are cleared from the ECU or is it some where else, or is it that all these faults are genuine & still there????????????????????

Col
18-02-2009, 07:52 PM
You need to post up the full code (copy and paste out of VCDS)

Are the faults intermittant, if so, clear them and see if they come back in the first instance.

But do post up the full codes for a better answer.

[edit]

It depends what version / cable you have on how you clear faults.

martin1810
18-02-2009, 08:16 PM
After finally sorting out vagcom & interface, & charging my old laptop with serial port, IO manages a scan on my Passat. Threw up a few faults:
MAF - open or short to ground
Air flow flap positioning motor faulty
coolant temp sensor open / short to ground
alarm horn internal supply voltage.

Most concerning are the MAF & Coolant temp sensor.

I pressed the clear results tab thinking this clears the faults in the ECU, after repeating the scan I got the same results.

Is this how the faults are cleared from the ECU or is it some where else, or is it that all these faults are genuine & still there????????????????????

If you press clear, you clear the fault codes. BUT as soon as you switch on or start the engine they will come straight back if you haven't fixed the faults first.

cazyp
18-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Sorry - what was the original reason you were reading with Vag-com or was it just aa check up?

PETER G
18-02-2009, 08:55 PM
You need to post up the full code (copy and paste out of VCDS)

Are the faults intermittant, if so, clear them and see if they come back in the first instance.

But do post up the full codes for a better answer.

[edit]

It depends what version / cable you have on how you clear faults.

The version I have is 311-2 & I am using a KKL interface, hope that is right.

PETER G
18-02-2009, 09:01 PM
If you press clear, you clear the fault codes. BUT as soon as you switch on or start the engine they will come straight back if you haven't fixed the faults first.

Sorry not made myself clear, I have been getting poor MPG for a while now, after reading a number of threads on here I unplugging the MAF to see any difference, so I knew it would throw that up as a fault also some time ago the temp gauge was irratic, but the temp gauge now works ok. I thought the clear faults would clear these faults if they where due to "one off interfearances", but it seems they may be proper faults?????????

PETER G
18-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Sorry - what was the original reason you were reading with Vag-com or was it just aa check up?

Getting poor MPG & due a service.

martin1810
18-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Sorry impossble to say with your set up. I assumed you were using a proper vag-com set up. Lots of people have found cheap cables and software to not work correctly.

cazyp
19-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Have you replaced the CTS?

PETER G
19-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Have you replaced the CTS?

I take it the CTS is coolant temp sensor, if so it has shown up as a fault (open/short to earth) so will be replacingvery soon.