PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Need to revive paintwork all over..

jethwara
21-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Hi

I have neglected keeping the paintwork on my car clean and so the shine has all but gone; it's all dull and particular areas (bottom door areas) have visible dark drip streaks that won't come off with simple washing. Haven't polished it in years and lately even got lazy about washing it regularly. Also feels rough to the touch.

I was planning on polishing to revive and was going to use T-Cut, but I've heard so many horror stories of rubbing too hard and showing up bottom layers, hence what products and techniques would you use to bring the showroom shine back?

And what is all this about 'claying'?

My motor is ocean green and I have an electric buffer to help with polishing.

Arjay

Martin Burnard
21-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Get a proper valetor / detailer to do it!

It's referred to as "Paint Correction".

Have a look here

www.detailingworld.co.uk (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk)

All the info you need if you want to do it yourself, or the contacts to get somebody else to do it.

The skills, equipment and time taken to do it make it a long hard job to do to full effect yourself.

The result produced by a pro are stunning.

tlionhart
21-01-2009, 05:44 PM
agree! go to a detailer. Their work is simply to make cars look like the showroom finish. Some have spent years doing this as work. They are the ones that recommend you DON'T leave your car in Tesco to get it washed. They refer to those valetors as 'how not to wash your car'

jethwara
22-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Hi

I get that a professional detailer will bring out the best, but I'm not as attached to the car that I want to go that far (how much does it cost anyway?).

May be I shouldn't have asked for a showroom shine finish.

Instead, what if I just want to get rid of some of the streaking myself and give the car a once over deep polish myself?